Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

we are.

We have huge revenues,  we have a huge fan base and a catchment for more . we have been in the top division for 3 decades and in its current form since inception. compared to all but about 10 or 15 in  England we are by measurable standards a top club.  The fact that we do not have an owner to match that does not take away from the fact that we are a big club

Each to their own definition, and I respect other people's. Mine is that (as you imply ) somewhere where between 10-15 others are ahead of us, just in this Country (actually it's probably more than that. about 19 would be my take on it) doesn't make us "top". Reasonably big, sure, yes. Could be a lot bigger  - most definitely. A succession of lowly league placings and rubbish results over a long period suggests (to me) that we're not a "top club". A half decade of benign neglect has smallerised and lowered the Club's status.

1 hour ago, VillaForever1970 said:

At least we’ll win and score some goals which might be enjoyable; as we don’t do that in this league anymore.

Football is meant to be enjoyable and constant seasons of naff football and fighting relegation; its about time we go down. Its not guaranteed but hopefully we can get back to winning some games and celebrating some goals.

We will be relegated this season, discussions to the contrary are futile imo.

For me beating brentford at home would be like winning a friendly, no enjoyment. the premier league is where its at, playing at the big clubs stadium. We wont even be on MOTD anymore, how depressing is that?

Seeing west brom in the league above us for me shows how far we have fallen and I think we will fall even further when we go down

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

For me beating brentford at home would be like winning a friendly, no enjoyment. the premier league is where its at, playing at the big clubs stadium. We wont even be on MOTD anymore, how depressing is that?

Seeing west brom in the league above us for me shows how far we have fallen and I think we will fall even further when we go down

very arrogant attitude to have, we have no divine right to be playing in the top division

playing at the big clubs stadium comment makes us sound like a team who have just got promoted

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

very arrogant attitude to have, we have no divine right to be playing in the top division

playing at the big clubs stadium comment makes us sound like a team who have just got promoted

How is it arrogant wanting to stay in the premier league? most bizarre thing i have read on here

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

you said beating Brentford at home will give you no enjoyment because its not the Premier League and you will treat it like winning a friendly

But that's not saying he thinks he has a divine right to premier league football, just that the premier league is more exciting than other leagues and where he wants Villa to be.

I think he accepted we are likely to go down and most fans will agree with that and will surely find it disappointing.

Edited by briny_ear

5 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I truly have trouble understanding posters who seem to go out of their way to consistently post negative arguments that we are shit and always will be shit.  

I find myself liking overly rosy, high confidence posts, not because I think they are any better at foretelling the future, but because they don't require me to up my medications.

I'm assuming from your username you're not a local? People from this part of the world are notorious moaners, experts at spotting distant clouds on sunny afternoons. Given a situation when things genuinely are really shit, it's no surprise that we're going to town. You'll probably also detect a certain perverse pleasure in our plight getting even worse from some posters, as people who've taken maximally pessimistic positions for years finally feel they're being proven right. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Even when we are on Match of the day 90% of the time we are on there for all the wrong reasons. Let's be honest.

I want to see us win games again and have some hope and for the past 4-5 years the premier league has moved on this club hasn't sadly.

It could quite easily go the other way and we could be relegated and stay in the championship for years on end but one thing I am sure about is constantly surviving every year isn't fun anymore.

Exactly. Quoted because 'liking' wasn't enough. 

I've been pretty much set on us going down for a few weeks now. We have nothing about us that suggests we can stay up. We have an absolutely awful set of players and a manager who has very little experience, again.

I keep saying to myself that I won't be upset once the season is over, but I actually think I will be. I'm hoping that it will be confirmed weeks before the end of the season so that we are not relegated on the final day - I would struggle to accept that.  

It's a really weird time at the moment, I don't quite know what my true feelings are. All I do know is that we will be playing championship football next season. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Oooh goody we’re playing a premier league team......... and losing......again.

Football is about enjoyment, not constant depression after another loss ruining my weekend; fed up of it now.

All the teams in the leagues below have fans, they sometimes celebrate when their teams score goals and win games; it doesn’t only happen in the premier league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said: We deserved at least a point in that game.

I was there we deserved **** all and that's what we got

I don't know if we deserved it but until sherwood went kamikaze and took IMO our MOTM Sanchez off I was confident we were going to get a point

I don't think it's arrogant to suggest that wins in the lower league will feel a little hollow, and kind of beneath us.

Look at Newcastle when they went down, they were the team everyone was hyped to play. We'll be most teams' cup final next season.

Having said that, I won't be too upset, as well as being shit for the last 5 years, this season marks 20 since we last won a trophy, there's a generation of adult Villa fans who haven't seen us win a thing, kind of hard to be too convinced about us being a huge club when it's put like that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think it's arrogant to suggest that wins in the lower league will feel a little hollow, and kind of beneath us.

Look at Newcastle when they went down, they were the team everyone was hyped to play. We'll be most teams' cup final next season.

Having said that, I won't be too upset, as well as being shit for the last 5 years, this season marks 20 since we last won a trophy, there's a generation of adult Villa fans who haven't seen us win a thing, kind of hard to be too convinced about us being a huge club when it's put like that.

Didn't seem to do them any actual harm though. 

6 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I truly have trouble understanding posters who seem to go out of their way to consistently post negative arguments that we are shit and always will be shit.  

I find myself liking overly rosy, high confidence posts, not because I think they are any better at foretelling the future, but because they don't require me to up my medications.

This is a very much an individual thing isn't it. A lot of fans were pretty doom and gloom after only a handful of games this season whilst others went the same way much later. I think the change in manager gave a fair few of us a boost and renewed hope and I think a few are still clinging to that.

For me personally I have tried to be upbeat and cling to any positives for as long as possible but sadly I have now succumb and joined the pessimistic mob.

I was always convinced, even under Sherwood, that this was a decent squad of players that just needed time to settle. I was always taking a huge leap of faith though as being honest I knew very little about most of the players, aside from they had good reputations, and didn't have a clue how they would adapt to his league and how long that would take.

Reality for me has now set in though and the foreign lads in the main have taken too long to settle and are too inconsistent. That isn't a criticism of them by the way as I think it is totally understandable that they have taken a while to settle. Trouble for us is though that due to losing our best players in the summer we didn't have a squad that was capable of carrying a number of players who needed time to settle. We needed half a dozen players who could hit the ground running.

I think a number of the players are now showing signs of improvement but the problem is now is that we are miles behind and the issue of waiting for players to settle in has now been replaced by them playing under huge pressure.

The club gambled over the summer. We purchased a lot of inexperienced players in this league/this level and charged an inexperienced manager with getting them up to speed. It was a gamble a mid to upper table club could have taken who could afford to introduce so many new players slowly and allow them time to settle and get up to speed. It was not a gamble a club who had just avoided relegation and lost it's four best players should have taken and for me, as much as I want to cling to being positive, it is sadly now clear it is a gamble that will cost us our Prem league status.

The irony of our summer transfer policy is that by the end of the season Ayew, Gana, Veretout, Traore, Illori could well be up to speed and really shining and they may well end up starting next season in the Prem whilst we settle into life in the Championship.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Brentford may not be an exciting prospect but I guarantee that when we play them and we're attacking their goal, you'll be excited and up for it. 

A game of footie is a game of footie no matter what level. At least we might experience winning again. 

• Like 2

It will be odd having grown up watching exclusively top level football (first game was in 97). Indeed that will be the case for a whole generation of Villa fans with birth years from about 1985, anyone under 30 won't have seen this.

Will certainly be a different feel to VP next season for the games. I want us to be in the top division as that's where we've mostly been throughout our history but given the last 5 years we do probably need relegation now to cleanse us if you like. No guarantee we'll come straight back but similar standing clubs like Newcastle and West Ham did.

I'd probably sum it up as going back to the mid 90s, a bit retro. No wall to wall coverage, just a few minutes highlights on that channel 5 programme and that's it for the week. Also you can sign loan players on the day of the game so it will be quite funny turning up for an evening game and seeing someone who's been a Villa player for a few hours so not the long protracted negotiations you get nowadays.

If it happens it happens. I'm fairly philosophical about relegation now when I'd have been devastated if it had occurred in 12/13. We deserve it for the way we've been run, infact if it guarantees new ownership let it happen.

Edited by VillaChris

If we go down and start winning games I think we will get very good crowds in to be honest.  I certainly wouldn't feel like any victory is hollow,  will be happy to see some goals and enjoy watching a team with confidence.  

• Like 1

I don't think it follows automatically that going down to the Championship will make our squad start playing confident, winning football.

Someone will need to get a grip of the club and give it a sense of focus and direction and there's no sign of that happening at the moment.

BTW, is this "negative"? I don't think so, just realistic.

Â