Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

A win this weekend would be absolutely huge. We could end up being only 4 points adrift off the back of a huge confidence-boosting win, going into a favourable run full of 6-pointers. Lose and it's business as usual, still got a chance but a win can transform our season. If I were Remi, I would be going all out on Sunday. We don't really have much to lose.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KSV said:

We have dropped 10 points from winning positions this season. Hardly playing crap all season. Leicester Palace Sunderland Watford.. all games we should have won. We just need to get the monkey off the back.. quicker the better.

No just no

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

A win this weekend would be absolutely huge. We could end up being only 4 points adrift off the back of a huge confidence-boosting win, going into a favourable run full of 6-pointers. Lose and it's business as usual, still got a chance but a win can transform our season. If I were Remi, I would be going all out on Sunday. We don't really have much to lose.

I would love to see this. Our record at home against Arsenal is terrible enough as it is so shouldn't be too bruising if we get nothing out of it as it's basically a given. Might as well go all out zerg-rush on them and see if we can get lucky.

• Like 1

Is sanchez is injured still? Hopefully they have  a tough game out in Greece wednesday as that is only way i see us picking up something.

i hope the players are up for this as that 4-0 cup drumming was not  a nice experience

10 hours ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Both had teams  playing ok 

People keep saying this, but it's not really true.

Leicester were absolutely **** awful last season on their bad run. Everybody had written them off.

They lost to us twice for goodness sake!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's a free hit.

The only way we lose in that game is if we get absolutely spanked, which I don't think will happen..

Oh it can definitely happen. Arsenal have a knack for doing it to us. And given our defensive frailties of late, Arsenal are exactly the type of team to pick us off at will and not waste glorious opportunities like So'ton or Watford. Like last year at VP it was 3-0 before we knew it, just like that. But I'd run that risk if I were Garde. ***** it just take a swing at it.

• Like 1

The bad thing for me is we are sunday, so all our relegation rivals (or most of them) would have already played if some have picked up results just adds further pressure, if we did somehow fluke a win it certainly can change our season around going to newcastle which is huge game. cant afford to lose that if we have any hope of staying up

losing to watfrod and swansea at home for me is absolutely diabolical and one of the main reasons we are going down. if we cant beat the likes or even get anything against these sides what chance do we have?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a free hit.

I don’t think it is a free hit. I think in our position if we have any designs on getting safe then no game can now be considered a free hit. That is the trouble when you have already failed to beat sides like Sunderland, Swansea, West Brom and Watford at home. It simply cranks up the pressure and importance on games like Arsenal this weekend.

We have seen other sides in the bottom half of the league take points off the better teams in recent weeks. West Brom beat Arsenal, Newcastle beat Liverpool, Bournemouth beat Chelsea, Stoke beat Man City. It can happen and we need it to happen if we are to ignite our season.

This will be Remis 5th game in charge. Performances aside from the Everton shambles have been ok but we are still to win and really the bounce we were all clinging to from a new manager hasn’t materialised. We fail to beat Arsenal this weekend and that just simply puts even more pressure on the Newcastle game. I know some are clinging to the hope that game could be the start of a run for us but realistically if we go into that with 6 points from 16 games, no win in 15 and 5 games under Garde without a win then I think the pressure will be too much.

Sadly I just don’t think we have the ability or the backbone to fight our way to anything like safety. It is the nature of a fan to cling to the hope that so and so game can be the one where we start to turn things around as it is the only thing that keeps us going. A couple of months ago it was Swansea at home, then it was Watford at home now it is Newcastle a way. The trouble is though the longer we are going without a win or stringing results together the further we are falling behind, the less games we have to catch other teams up and the more pressure we are under.

You can bet your life that Newcastle, Norwich, Sunderland have all targeted the games coming up against us as a great chance to get three points. They will be as up for those games as we are and they will be as tough as any games we have played this season. Realistically unless we are going to pull off surprise wins against the likes of Arsenal then we will have to beat all those teams around us and nothing we have seen suggests that can happen.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

I disagree. Even now, our survival doesn't depend on games against teams going for the title.

Not saying we shouldn't try to win it. But if we lose against Arsenal I don't think we're much worse off.

34 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don’t think it is a free hit. I think in our position if we have any designs on getting safe then no game can now be considered a free hit. That is the trouble when you have already failed to beat sides like Sunderland, Swansea, West Brom and Watford at home. It simply cranks up the pressure and importance on games like Arsenal this weekend.

We have seen other sides in the bottom half of the league take points off the better teams in recent weeks. West Brom beat Arsenal, Newcastle beat Liverpool, Bournemouth beat Chelsea, Stoke beat Man City. It can happen and we need it to happen if we are to ignite our season.

This will be Remis 5th game in charge. Performances aside from the Everton shambles have been ok but we are still to win and really the bounce we were all clinging to from a new manager hasn’t materialised. We fail to beat Arsenal this weekend and that just simply puts even more pressure on the Newcastle game. I know some are clinging to the hope that game could be the start of a run for us but realistically if we go into that with 6 points from 16 games, no win in 15 and 5 games under Garde without a win then I think the pressure will be too much.

Sadly I just don’t think we have the ability or the backbone to fight our way to anything like safety. It is the nature of a fan to cling to the hope that so and so game can be the one where we start to turn things around as it is the only thing that keeps us going. A couple of months ago it was Swansea at home, then it was Watford at home now it is Newcastle a way. The trouble is though the longer we are going without a win or stringing results together the further we are falling behind, the less games we have to catch other teams up and the more pressure we are under.

You can bet your life that Newcastle, Norwich, Sunderland have all targeted the games coming up against us as a great chance to get three points. They will be as up for those games as we are and they will be as tough as any games we have played this season. Realistically unless we are going to pull off surprise wins against the likes of Arsenal then we will have to beat all those teams around us and nothing we have seen suggests that can happen.

good post Mark

I don't think its just losing to Arsenal, we must be sure we don't get mullered.....We are clinging to a shred of hope to stay up( me personally not a chance with this squad) so we must not let what tad of confidence we do have , slip.

I also agree with the view from other teams, they see us as the worst TEAM in the league and they will go in to a game accordingly, just like a shark smells blood.

Every game will be tough for us.

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not saying we shouldn't try to win it. But if we lose against Arsenal I don't think we're much worse off.

Well it means we have one less game to catch the teams above us, that we have gone another game without a win and overall just ramps up more pressure on the game after.

I’d agree that games against the better sides could be written off if we had been beating the sides around us but we haven’t which means if we are going to have any hope of surviving we are now almost certainly going to have to beat some of the better sides.

That game against Watford was so crucial for me. It was a real opportunity to get a win and what would have been Remis first win. Had we have done so I would have perhaps have seen this Arsenal game as one that could have been written off. Now if we are to have any hope of survival I think it is one we need to win. Our season has to be ignited and it has to be now. It has gone past the point of looking down the line at so and so game being the turning point. We are on too much of a poor run, too many points behind, with too few games to go to still be writing games off.

Edited by markavfc40

We absolutely cannot afford to write off any games. That's why some people were disappointed at letting the lead slip to draw at Southampton. In isolation it's a good point, but when you are miles behind 19th place, draws aren't much use. If we don't win against Arsenal, we are 3 games away from the halfway point of the season with just 1 win to our name. I'd say we need a point just to be clinging on by a thread, really we need snookers (in this context shock wins against top 4 sides, or away at top half teams like Southampton). I'm not suggesting we go all out attack, but we shouldn't be timewasting if we are drawing with 10 minutes to go or anything like that. We've possibly restored a little confidence with a decent point on the road, the only way to restore further confidence is with a win, and it needs to arrive very soon.

• Like 3

Ive seen a few saying that we are not out of it and not dead and buried even now,  thats only because the season doesnt finish until May and we are still playing games.  For all intents and purposes we are as good as down already

• Like 3

Â