Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

We were 11 points better off at this point last season than we are this year. Just an interesting stat to show how much we have dropped. 

Not only that, last year we beat palace away, Sunderland at home, Liverpool away, baggies at home and Spurs away

The only betterment on last season are the 2 points vs Man city at home and Southampton away

So depending on how you throw the promoted teams in to the mix we're 12 points off comparable games last season

Edit - I had a look, last season we got 4 points at home and 1 point away vs the 3 relegated teams so we are slightly better there

5 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I'm in the 'I'm not looking forward to it either way' camp. 

We're absolutely dire, a horrible football team whoever we play. I imagine the upcoming fixture against wycombe will be the standard turgid dross we've come to expect from what has been half a decade of some of the most inept professional footballers I've ever laid eyes on.

I find us completely cringeworthy, from top to bottom. The way we promote ourselves, the manner in which we set our stall out and the utterly laughable way in which we attempt play football. Hell, I'm not even sure I like the colours we play in anymore. 

Every team makes mistakes but I can't think of too many teams who have royally **** it up like we do... throwing the ball in our own net, defenders running into each other, man even when we had a decent player (laursen), he was a disastrous headless chicken at times. A complete embarrassent the way we capitulate time and time again.

I'm remaining positive of course ;)

In all seriousness, I don't let it get to me any more. Haven't for a while.

But anyone defending this shower of shite, in any way, under any circumstances, is having a complete joke imo.

Fooking 'ell Laursen getting it now....you'll be saying McGrath should've dedicated himself a bit more next....;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Richard said:

what makes anyone believe we will be able to compete or afford to compete at a lower level? We can't afford to compete now with the millions coming into the club.  We can't compete with smaller clubs who are getting the same or less than us. How can we compete when the level of income goes down drastically?

Do you not think a takeover would occur at any point. O.k It hasn't happened last two summers but that's with Lerner's 150m asking price, he couldn't possibly say that with a straight face to interested parties if we're relying on parachute payments and championship revenue streams.

That's one of the things I'd accept relegation for, a takeover with Lerner out of the picture and a fresh start under someone else.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

If we go down surely Lerner is more likely to remain

Yes, I agree. But since I don't think he wants to own us forever, I think getting promoted again will be very motivating for him. He'll be taking an absolute bath on us if he sells us in the Championship. 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Fooking 'ell Laursen getting it now....you'll be saying McGrath should've dedicated himself a bit more next....;)

I've always said laursen was never as good as people made out. Completely injury prone and like a bull in a China shop.

Decent tho, Richard dunne in his first season was far better.

Ot tho.

4 hours ago, Czechlad said:

We were 8 points better off at this point last season than we are this year. Just an interesting stat to show how much we have dropped. 

maybe but we got 3 points from next 11 games from this date last season and went on a record goal drought in that time

True Zatman. To try and remain positive I'm telling myself that this is just the average dogshit villa run we've become accustomed to. It just looks worse coz it's happening at the start of the season.

Deep down I know however, that we don't have a manager as good as lambert nor do we have players anywhere near the level of vlaar, Delph and Cleverley. Even Weimann. 

As for benteke, whose hardly setting the world a light at plop. Well he's probably the best player we will have for the next 20/30 years unless something dramatic changes regarding our fortunes on how the club is run.

4 hours ago, Czechlad said: We were 8 points better off at this point last season than we are this year. Just an interesting stat to show how much we have dropped. 

maybe but we got 3 points from next 11 games from this date last season and went on a record goal drought in that time

So a point a game from the next 11 will put us on level terms with the same stage last season.

True Zatman. To try and remain positive I'm telling myself that this is just the average dogshit villa run we've become accustomed to. It just looks worse coz it's happening at the start of the season.

Deep down I know however, that we don't have a manager as good as lambert nor do we have players anywhere near the level of vlaar, Delph and Cleverley. Even Weimann. 

As for benteke, whose hardly setting the world a light at plop. Well he's probably the best player we will have for the next 20/30 years unless something dramatic changes regarding our fortunes on how the club is run.

Everyone is better than Weimann, with the possible exceptions of Richardson and Gestede.

16 minutes ago, Wainy316 said: Everyone is better than Weimann, with the possible exceptions of Richardson and Gestede.

It's just utter nonsense that. Not even worth debating. 

Let's go through our attacking players Ayew, Gil, Grealish, Adama, Sinclair (marginally), Gabby (about par, but much better historically), all better than Weimann. Even if you don't agree I wouldn't say it's utter nonsense. He certainly wouldn't make any difference to our position now.

Ayew is definitely a better player. Gil and Grealish play in a different position so aren't really comparable. Adama has a vastly vastly higher ceiling than Weimann, but isn't as good right now. Sinclair is less effective than Weimann, Gabby is certainly no better. I really don't think we've moved way beyond his level at all. 

On 12/7/2015 at 21:43, briny_ear said:

I don't think it follows automatically that going down to the Championship will make our squad start playing confident, winning football.

Someone will need to get a grip of the club and give it a sense of focus and direction and there's no sign of that happening at the moment.

BTW, is this "negative"? I don't think so, just realistic.

who cares.....say what you feel, else it wouldn't be you.

38 minutes ago, Richard said:

just read the first half dozen pages in this thread.  very amusing

Why?

Apart from a small handful of posters displaying cautious optimism, the overwhelming opinion from the start of this thread seems to be that we're in for a relegation battle.

What's so funny about that?

Edited by Stevo985

20 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

You know what's kind of weirdly revealing and funny? You can kind of see how Villa supporters are going through Kubler-Ross's stage of grief:

I think I've actually gone through all these stages, and I'm at acceptance now.

Sadly, I have rarely been in denial....misplaced faith maybe.....but deep down we have been in a mess for far longer than anyone cares to admit.

but equally sadly, if you are someone too, that has  never been in denial, you are usually classed as negative

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PieFacE said:

If the past 5 years down Villa Park is what watching football at the highest level is then to be completely honest, it's a little lost on me. We're stuck in such a rut, we need something to change, and it wont happen whilst getting battered every game. If you're enjoying it then fair enough, but I can tell you going down Villa Park has not been an enjoyable experience for me in a long time, and whilst things are the way they are in terms of the league and finances/FFP, it's not going to get any better for us for a long time. 

Going down Villa Park has become a chore, I want to enjoy it again. 

I don't enjoy it at all, i simply said i want us to play at the highest level and unrealistically id like us to be winning major trophies. Also again people keep posting this assumption that if we go down we'll all enjoy it again and suddenly just start winning games. Everyone wants to enjoy it again, thats not really the point here.

44 minutes ago, Richard said:

just read the first half dozen pages in this thread.  very amusing

I do read some amusing things at times

1. Benteke is a world class striker ( oh really)
  2. Laursen was a headless chicken ( oh really)

I guess it takes all sorts.....

Â