Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

Recruitment is an issue and should be questioned for what the thinking was ..

I think a combination of the cup final and Sherwoods bluster left the club thinking we the right additions we could move on and be comfortable.I think the players we brought are mostly all decent but they needed a solid base to integrate too and we didn't have that.I think they are improving but now they are getting up to speed they are rooted to the bottom of the league. Gana and Veretout are pretty decent , the latter was wanted by the current league leaders and infact most of the overseas guys where wanted by decent clubs.

What I would question is Gestede who is clearly a very limited striker but looks worse when compared to who he replaced , Benteke ?

Traore could be a great player in 2-3 years but could we really afford to spend 7mil on him now ?

If we needed an experienced CB was Lescott really the best option we could get ?

1 minute ago, GeordieVillan said:

You are right - I shouldn't have said "garbage". I do though disagree with you - and its all about opinions. I think that Ayew, Veretout, Gana and Amavi have already shown they are good enough to be Premier League players, the other summer signings may do that in due course, or they may not.

Ayew certainly looks class. Amavi had good and bad moments and I'm not sure gana or Veretout would currently start in many other premier league teams.

Just now, DCJonah said:

Ayew certainly looks class. Amavi had good and bad moments and I'm not sure gana or Veretout would currently start in many other premier league teams.

The problem is in a 3 man midfield can you really afford to put in too inexperienced players like we have done.They both seem decent ,yesterday Gana put himself about and ran himself into the ground and Veretout was getting forward more but still need time we simply don't have to give them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

Recruitment is an issue and should be questioned for what the thinking was ..

I think a combination of the cup final and Sherwoods bluster left the club thinking we the right additions we could move on and be comfortable.I think the players we brought are mostly all decent but they needed a solid base to integrate too and we didn't have that.I think they are improving but now they are getting up to speed they are rooted to the bottom of the league. Gana and Veretout are pretty decent , the latter was wanted by the current league leaders and infact most of the overseas guys where wanted by decent clubs.

What I would question is Gestede who is clearly a very limited striker but looks worse when compared to who he replaced , Benteke ?

Traore could be a great player in 2-3 years but could we really afford to spend 7mil on him now ?

If we needed an experienced CB was Lescott really the best option we could get ?

Agree with this.

Lescott doesn't look great, and it should have set alarm bells ringing that WBA were so happy to let him go. but if he was only signed as backup then I guess we could do worse.

Gestede looks limited, but we aren't playing to his strengths, which makes him look even worse.

Traore could be very effective right now, I expect he'll get a chance soon enough - he seems to be a fixture in the squad now at least.

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

As much as I think Traore might become brilliant, it was a gamble that's cost us, since we've spent £7m on him and got almost zero contribution.  That and the money spent on Gestede, Jesus Christ whoever scouted him needs shooting.  The rest of the spending has been OK really, but that's £13m that could have gone on a goalscorer.

Traore won't become brilliant.

The writing is always on the wall with us I'm amazed how we miss it.

Barcelona reserve that nobody else wants. The chances are he's **** shite.

Oh well why don't we spunk 7m on him and put him under a stupid contract.

3 minutes ago, Nabby said:

The problem is in a 3 man midfield can you really afford to put in too inexperienced players like we have done.They both seem decent ,yesterday Gana put himself about and ran himself into the ground and Veretout was getting forward more but still need time we simply don't have to give them.

I don't think we have a choice but to play them in a 3, as they would be overun in a 2.

Whats been noticeable in the last 2 games especially is that Veretout is playing very advanced as a no.10 or support striker at times. This is vastly different to our usual set up which is 3 midfielders in a straight line.

Edited by GeordieVillan

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Stoke, who have signed some good players, wanted him just as much as we did. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Stoke were also in for him and Barcelona must have still seen something in him to insist in a knock down buy back clause. 

Edited by LondonLax

5 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Agree with this.

Lescott doesn't look great, and it should have set alarm bells ringing that WBA were so happy to let him go. but if he was only signed as backup then I guess we could do worse.

Gestede looks limited, but we aren't playing to his strengths, which makes him look even worse.

Traore could be very effective right now, I expect he'll get a chance soon enough - he seems to be a fixture in the squad now at least.

We really couldn't. As for Gestede, whoever thought of signing him needs shooting. He wouldn't get into any prem team going back decades

25 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Stoke wanted him.

The Newcastle result doesn't change much for me as we were already well in the shit.

This is just me trying to put a positive spin on things but I think it'll be easier for us to come back up if we go down with say Norwich and Bournemouth than Newcastle and Sunderland.

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Fookin hell, its looks grim doesn't it? :(

I was still hopeful until Bournemouth and Newcastle beat Chelsea and Liverpool. Now things are starting to look inevitable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I was still hopeful until Bournemouth and Newcastle beat Chelsea and Liverpool. Now things are starting to look inevitable.

We needed 3 wins more than the others before Bournemouth and Newcastle won, and we still do now.

The only real impact is if they have a massive confidence boost and go on a good run.

GeordieVillan, I have said all along that I think the new signings will come good but, it will be too late to save us. My point about the summer was more that there were too many new faces and that they lacked the know-how of our football to hit the ground running, which is what we needed after last season and losing our better players in the summer. That's where I think the transfer committee screwed up. 

• Like 1

Â