Rudy Gestede

midian

Was the second highest scorer in a Blackburn team that played to his strengths and still only finished 9th.

To play to his strengths you need a 4-4-2 and this will almost certainly cause you to lose the midfield battle, no I don't like that trade.

Will also probably miss more than a month because of the African cup of nations.

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he has 7 caps in 3 seasons, not sure he even gets regular call-ups for Benin

I don't think they've played many more games than that have they?

Its taken Suarez until last week to serve the 9 game ban he got in the world cup and I'd assume Uruguay would have more games than Benin.

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don't think they've played many more games than that have they?

Its taken Suarez until last week to serve the 9 game ban he got in the world cup and I'd assume Uruguay would have more games than Benin.

they would have had 2 African Nations qualifying sections in that timeframe plus friendlies

looking on google he didnt play for a year in his final season at Blackburn and only got a recall in September

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

they would have had 2 African Nations qualifying sections in that timeframe plus friendlies

looking on google he didnt play for a year in his final season at Blackburn and only got a recall in September

2013-2014 scored 12 in 21 appearances

2014-2015 scored 20 in 39 appearances

We are doing some thing wrong here?

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

2013-2014 scored 12 in 21 appearances

2014-2015 scored 20 in 39 appearances

We are doing some thing wrong here?

Well he's not doing everything right either...

Just now, sne said:

Well he's not doing everything right either...

Is he being given the chance considering the tactics. The club/manager should have known how he plays and his strengths. they have far from used them.

If you asked me, shit team or shit player, my answer would only go one way.

To be fair though, its hard to judge any player this season, the whole team has been diabolical.

He's not even remotely close to good enough that PL team should build the way they play around him.

But had we had wingers that constantly bombed crosses aimed at him I'm sure he would have scored more goals, doubt the results had been any better thou.

As a lone striker he is totally useless as he doesn't move. Heskey at least moved, but he was so slow it didn't matter.

Call him a late bloomer if you will, but he's just as likely to be one of these plants that bloom once and then shrivels and dies, stinking up the place

20 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I hardly think the Championship has third rate CB's, its a very tough league which we will soon find out.  

Sorry, chap, but I don't think even Vardy would get many chances scoring goals in this squad. 

It very much does. 

Don't get me wrong, we'll make them look good next year because we have seventh rate attackers, but defenders in the Championship are pants compared to the PL level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

If only one of our coaches took him to one side and worked on his agility and acceleration.

He wouldn't be a bad player with a little pace and movement.

Very true.

Andy Carroll showed today that even if you are a big technically handicapped lump who's only real talent is heading, you can still be effective if you work hard, make runs and pester the other teams defenders.

Gestede is a monolith 

• Like 1

I like Carroll actually, the old fashioned way he heads the ball from crosses like today is great to watch I think.

The issue is the ridiculous transfer fees he's gone for and also his lifestyle off the pitch that has allegedly  resulted in some injuries for him.

He also suffers from the same media bullshit that a lot of English players do, played well today, got himself a hat trick, radio phone ins about how he has to be on the plane...

No one gets a chance to just play their football and do their stuff

Anyway back to gestede...utter donkey, his header % today looked really poor, same as always we all know we can't cross so why is he stood still in the centre waiting for a worldy of a cross? 2/3 times ayew and traore got in to a good position and he made absolutely no movement towards the front post anticipating it to come in low and hard

• Like 1

I think he scores both the headers Carroll got yesterday , whilst limited we have seen he can score with his head the Birmingham and Liverpool headed goals were both decent , problem is the crosser  for those goals ,Amavi we lost to injury.

First one is a good cross, movement from Carroll isn't anything really he's really attacked the ball and wants it more than the defenders

didn't think the third was anything special. Just a deep back post cross but if you look at the build up for it, he has the ball out wide, plays a 30 yard cross field ball then gets himself in the box on bellerin for an easy header

I don't see anything in rudy to suggest he's scoring either of those, does he throw himself in to crosses making them his? Not really, does he pick the ball up ping passes about then bust a gut to get himself in the box? Definitely not

• Like 1

Â