Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

A good modern midfielder, bundles of energy, positionally sound and looked very good for us in the second half of last season. I think he'll do okay at Everton. For the money they're paying he's an absolute bargain for them - a 2015 £7m release clause is a 2016 snip of a buy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A good modern midfielder, bundles of energy, positionally sound and looked very good for us in the second half of last season. I think he'll do okay at Everton. For the money they're paying he's an absolute bargain for them - a 2015 £7m release clause is a 2016 snip of a buy.

I think he got worse. Towards the end he put in some awful displays. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Are you his agent? :trollface:

I liked Gana, in fits and starts, and would like to have kept him if he were motivated, but his mental weakness will always hold him back. That and the fact he can barely pass the ball 5 yards. 

Not really sure what part of that is 'modern'. 

I'm with @OutByEaster? on this one.  I think he's an absolute bargain and I think he'll be brilliant for Everton.  I know statistics can be deceptive, but to have had the season he had playing in our side last season almost boggles the mind.  It'll be interesting to see what he can do in an actual Premier League quality side.  He's one of very few who deserves an immediate return to the Premier League and I don't begrudge him or Everton this move one bit.  Best of luck to him.  He can certainly hold his head high IMHO.

I'll wait and see him on the pitch before I pass judgement. Seems that his main attributes are what we've been lacking though....energy, pressing and winning the ball back....

can't complain at the price either given some deals this summer! 

38 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm with @OutByEaster? on this one.  I think he's an absolute bargain and I think he'll be brilliant for Everton.  I know statistics can be deceptive, but to have had the season he had playing in our side last season almost boggles the mind.  It'll be interesting to see what he can do in an actual Premier League quality side.  He's one of very few who deserves an immediate return to the Premier League and I don't begrudge him or Everton this move one bit.  Best of luck to him.  He can certainly hold his head high IMHO.

I don't think it boggles the mind. He played in a team that never had the ball and were always being played through. This team gave him a lot of opportunities to intercept the ball. 

He had no impact on the team and did nothing to protect the defence or assist the attack. I'm sure he'll do ok in a better team but he's not a key player. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think it boggles the mind. He played in a team that never had the ball and were always being played through. This team gave him a lot of opportunities to intercept the ball. 

He had no impact on the team and did nothing to protect the defence or assist the attack. I'm sure he'll do ok in a better team but he's not a key player. 

Yep fair enough response.  I think he'll flourish but we will see soon enough :thumb:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Artetasgirl said:

I'll wait and see him on the pitch before I pass judgement. Seems that his main attributes are what we've been lacking though....energy, pressing and winning the ball back....

can't complain at the price either given some deals this summer! 

I think you're right to wait and see. Those attributes you list he does have, at least for 60 minutes of a match. For us though he was very weak mentally and I'm not convinced that's all down to our relative position nor am I convinced that he's good enough technically for anything but a lower half Premier League club. 

However with decent coaching he could improve. I think he's probably found his top level at a club like the current Everton. 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/08/02/gana-joins-everton

Confirmed on the OS

Idrissa Gana has joined Everton.

The midfielder has signed at Goodison Park on a four-year deal.

He joined Villa in July 2015 from French outfit Lille and despite some niggling injuries along the way, generally played when fit under Tim Sherwood, Rémi Garde and Eric Black.

Best wishes to Idrissa in his future football career.

Bye then.

For £7.1m in the Premier league you get a back up midfielder - I think Everton have got a guy who will start a lot of games for that money, for me it's a bargain. I'm not sure I saw a mental weakness DDiD - for me his weaknesses are the things he can't do on the ball, he's not creative and he's not someone who's going to score a lot of goals, but as a player who can put pressure on the ball and help turn it over I think he's got some good qualities.

• Like 1

One of our better performers but he was still a 'meh' for me.

whoever put a clause to sell him for £2million less than what he cost needs **** with a broken milk bottle.

Meh for me... was looking for better things the moment he signed

He wouldn't have been the first I would have sold and I'm sure he will look better with better players. I just hope this doesn't mean the useless lump Sanchez is going to start

Â