Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

5 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I'm a bit disappointed but like others have said he wasn't amazing for us. He could have been useful this season but if wants out, let him go. 

Now if we could spend that £7m on one of the top Championship midfielders then I'd be very happy. I'm not an expert on these players but there are a few I'd be happy with; Knockaert and Hendrick for example. 

See for me we don't need to replace him like for like, we're ok at winning the ball even if he was our best at it, we're ok at passing it five yards sideways, it's now the chance to replace him with something we haven't got, don't know if knockaert and Hendrick are the answer, I'd say in a midfield 3 of Westwood, tish and a.n.other probably not, would prefer a will Hughes or van der Vaart further up the field actually trying something

If we weren't involved I would be looking at Everton from a distance and laughing.  They have finally got a bit of dosh then throw £7m on Gana. Not a player that anyone who wants to achieve anything should be signing. Reminds me of what we did a lot of when we were splashing it,  their version of Habib Beye? 

I'm not buying this "gem" bollocks but he'll do ok there, it's a team where 82 year old Barry is their best player and they've let osman, pienaar etc go (think they kept Gibson in the end) a midfield of Gana Barry and Barkley isn't that bad at all, it's not the mythical top 4 type investment they were harping on about though, that's a solid 8th place team midfield 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Surely he's squad filler though? Rather than a starting role. 

would think so but they have Barry, McCarthy, Besic and Cleverley in midfield positions who while all arent world beaters offer much more than Gana

51 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If we weren't involved I would be looking at Everton from a distance and laughing.  They have finally got a bit of dosh then throw £7m on Gana. Not a player that anyone who wants to achieve anything should be signing. Reminds me of what we did a lot of when we were splashing it,  their version of Habib Beye? 

or Curtis Davies or Marlon Harewood :P

I think theres a decent player in there somewhere..  however we rarely saw it.. he doesnt have the passion to play for this club.. by all means use us as a stepping stone.. all players will.. Amavi for example.. but he still plays and gives his all while he is here. Benteke is another. This guy just seems like he cant be arsed sometimes. We cant carry him in the Championship when were away at Rotherham and he shows no interest. 

The other reason we cannot ignore is he played in most of our league games where we did **** all last season.. so he cannot be excused because he made alot of interceptions. He gave the ball away more often than not or had a shit shot in the sky.. or his pass went out. Recoup that and make a play for Will Hughes or someone who can help us go up. 

Edited by KSV

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'm not buying this "gem" bollocks but he'll do ok there, it's a team where 82 year old Barry is their best player and they've let osman, pienaar etc go (think they kept Gibson in the end) a midfield of Gana Barry and Barkley isn't that bad at all, it's not the mythical top 4 type investment they were harping on about though, that's a solid 8th place team midfield 

Not sure about that personally...think there are 8 better midfields in the prem than that. think it's a lazy signing for them, 'we dont need to negotiate due to release clause, contract discussions should be straightforward' etc

I liked his energy but for me he offered about as much as any other midfielder did last season...not a huge amount.

I think he typifies the whole Moneyball approach taken by the club last summer. Stat wise he looks fantastic, second only to Kante who's just been sold for £30m or so. The stark reality is that he never imposed himself in a game or helped us control a midfield battle. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

You seem to have overlooked the fact that we threw even more than £7m on Gana.

• Like 1

First Cleverley and now Gueye Everton sure like a bargain from us.

It would be a pity if he did not want to stick around and play his part in getting us back up to where we belong. It also looked like RDM had him as a first choice starter for next season so he will need replacing without delay.

If he wants to go and they have triggered his release clause it is up to him and I will wish him as well as I did Cleverley! ;)  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

He was average at best, and not from us - he was on loan here, from Manchester, and Everton got him on a free.

Agreed. He wanted to move there from the start and used us as a stepping stone. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/what-roberto-di-matteo-say-11681136

Idrissa Gana is on the verge of leaving Villa Park - here's what Di Matteo has said

• Roberto Di Matteo has confirmed that Idrissa Gana will leave Aston Villa.

The Italian admitted that he wanted Gana to stay but said his ‘hands were tied’ because of the £7.1m release clause in the midfielder’s contract.

Everton have lodged a bid and are hoping to seal the move this weekend but other clubs can still make bigger offers.

Gana's release clause expires at the end of July but there’s no chance of Villa keeping hold of him now.

Di Matteo said: “It’s public that Everton has triggered the clause in his contract.

“He’s going to leave.

“There’s no news so far but the expectation is once personal terms are agreed and he passes his medical, he’s going to go.”

A move is not expected to be completed until the end of the weekend as Villa are still hoping for higher offers.

“There are other clubs interested,” Di Matteo confirmed

“But the only official bid so far has been Everton.”

Clearly, the Villa boss wanted Gana to stay.

He saw him as the ideal midfielder to help lead a promotion assault back to the Premier League but could do nothing to prevent his exit.

“There’s not much you can do because he has a clause in his contract.

“My hands are tied. We’ll be losing him.

“The fact that he is leaving is down to the clause he had in his contract.

“Otherwise there would have been no chance.

“We’re not a club who is looking to sell.

“We don’t have to, we don’t need to.”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If we can get a bit of a bidding war going and get more than £7.1 so much the better.

Why would there ever be a bidding war? If a club offers £7.1m then their offer can't be rejected. It is then down to the teams who meet this clause to discuss wages etc. with Gana and he will choose whichever suits him best. No club is going to offer any higher - what would be the point?

36 minutes ago, Richard said:

I dont think he can be classed as one of the 3 or 4 to be told that their futures lie elsewhere on that basis

We'll never be told who they are though, unless either they, their agents, or the club come out and tell us.

There may be players told their future lies elsewhere who are still here next summer.  That's the thing with football.  Funny old game.

• Like 2

Â