Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

31 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Are we all being sarcastic again so Everton fans don't want him? I'm a bit surprised by people's reactions to this.

if he was as good as some think, or 'influential', surely he would have done more than the square root of **** all in our midfield last season?

6 minutes ago, a m ole said:

if he was as good as some think, or 'influential', surely he would have done more than the square root of **** all in our midfield last season?

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. And other sayings.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. And other sayings.

One in the hand is worth two in the bush

• Like 1

Quite funny seeing Everton go from getting linked with players like Juan Mata to now picking up players from one of the worst teams in Premier League history. I thought they were supposed to be the real deal now, with this new owner?

27 minutes ago, a m ole said:

He did stuff in our midfield. All of this has already been discussed many times with statistics etc

It seems the common view is that every player who got relegated with us is shit apart from Amavi (injured), Ayew (scored 5?) and Grealish (did **** all).  Simply, this isn't the case and is why clubs such as Everton are sniffing around our better players. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He did stuff in our midfield. All of this has already been discussed many times with statistics etc

It seems the common view is that every player who got relegated with us is shit apart from Amavi (injured), Ayew (scored 5?) and Grealish (did **** all).  Simply, this isn't the case and is why clubs such as Everton are sniffing around our better players. 

I would normally agree, but I really don't think the stats show the full picture in this case. I did watch him last season. Teams did go through our midfield very easily. He played a lot of matches. 

Yes, he's one of our better players. I don't think it's a cause for celebration that he's leaving. But we got 17 points last season. No-one, especially someone who played as many of those games as Gana did, can be considered vital. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would normally agree, but I really don't think the stats show the full picture in this case. I did watch him last season. Teams did go through our midfield very easily. He played a lot of matches. 

Yes, he's one of our better players. I don't think it's a cause for celebration that he's leaving. But we got 17 points last season. No-one, especially someone who played as many of those games as Gana did, can be considered vital. 

I didn't say he's vital anywhere though - just that he didn't do "**** all". If he's truly that shit, he doesn't go to Everton. 

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I didn't say he's vital anywhere though - just that he didn't do "**** all". If he's truly that shit, he doesn't go to Everton. 

Okay, I would certainly agree that he didn't do '**** all'. I do think Everton fans can be a bit disappointed with this signing though. 

i watched almost every painfully awful game and Gana would have a 20 minute spell where he would cover every blade of grass put in some great tackles and blocks, have his obligatory two runs on goal and one volley spooned miles over from 20yards. Then disappear.

Maybe some of that is due to the awful players around him, but I never felt he added a great deal or the stats translated into a decent player. Judas and Cleverly were far better as midfielders.

he's better than Vertout and Sanchez but does that say a lot? Vertout still has some 'potential'. If Gueye was really any good, he wouldn't have signed for Villa in the first place.

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

You mean like make the 2nd most tackles in the entire league and joint 4th most interceptions?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think he will do really well in a better team. Stick Kante in our team last season and he'd have looked average at best. 

Yep he would have been can'te

20 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You mean like make the 2nd most tackles in the entire league and joint 4th most interceptions?

But he almost always passed it straight back to the opposition after those tackles and interceptions. That's where the stats can be a bit misleading.

I made it my business to watch him last season and he was rubbish. Its exactly this example that makes stats just stats, because he did nothing and never looked like making any meaningful contribution. As already stated, his distribution and decision making is at best basic, at worst poor.

I am only sore that we paid £9m and will release at £7m. But thats the Villa way I guess - bad business is our speciality.

Sanchez was a shocker too, he always looked half asleep to me, like he was playing for a Bahama's 11. And Westwood, Grealish & Gil were ineffective too, its no wonder we went down.

Lets get some proper players in, shame we have never properly replaced Barry, Milner or Delph.

Nor Tony Daley.

Edited by thunderball

11 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

But he almost always passed it straight back to the opposition after those tackles and interceptions. That's where the stats can be a bit misleading.

85.6% pass accuracy.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, lexicon said:

And how did that help us? Majority of teams dominated us, our midfield offered no protection for the defence and Gana offered nothing going forward. 

Â