Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

This optimizes our transfer dealings last year. (Just want to be clear i'm not at all worried about him leaving). But, why buy a potential talent for £9million and have a £7million release clause built into his contract. Seriously how much were those jokers getting paid to negotiate this?

I'm a bit disappointed but like others have said he wasn't amazing for us. He could have been useful this season but if wants out, let him go. 

Now if we could spend that £7m on one of the top Championship midfielders then I'd be very happy. I'm not an expert on these players but there are a few I'd be happy with; Knockaert and Hendrick for example. 

15 hours ago, bringbackbigron said:

This optimizes our transfer dealings last year. (Just want to be clear i'm not at all worried about him leaving). But, why buy a potential talent for £9million and have a £7million release clause built into his contract. Seriously how much were those jokers getting paid to negotiate this?

I assume the plan was to stay up last season (though I do question it sometimes!) and thus make the release clause irrelevant.  This was to protect him and he would probably not have signed otherwise.

• Like 1

sod him, never looked a villa player to me. His comments when he signed left a bad taste in my mouth, and being a season ticket holder and away follower ive seen enough of him to say he wont be missed. we had a poor midfield when he arrived, and it was poor last year. In fact non existent. onwards and upwards

Edited by Uncle Albert
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, bringbackbigron said:

Transfer dealings aren't as simple as many people think. For all we know, Gana wouldn't have signed if there wasn't a relegation release clause. Perhaps we offered a £9m release, Gana's agent insisted on £5m and we negotiated £7m. Without all the facts it seems unnecessary to brand anyone as jokers.

• Like 1

I have very mixed views on him going. Yes he was poor in a dreadful midfield but that must at least in part be attributed to poor coaching and management. What I was hoping to see was some of the players who performed so badly last season do better with better coaching, management and a winning mentality. Sadly I think Gana will do well at Everton and given the way player prices are going he is a steal at the reported release clause of £7.1m. Even if we could have kept him I see no value in retaining a player who does not want to be at the club. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Very surprised Koeman wanted him, as he normally has good players in. Suppose it shows that the scouts at Southampton (haven't we stolen one?) were good. Can't see him doing the wanyama role well.

no nor me, i think it will be like when we replaced benteke with rudy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

He'll do really well at Everton. That's about the level he is currently at. Will be interesting to see how his career unfolds from there.

He's clearly one that polarises opinions. He may well do well at Everton but for me he did nothing last season to suggest he's at their level. By all accounts he wasn't even at Telford's level last week. Hugely frustrating.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

He'll do really well at Everton. That's about the level he is currently at. Will be interesting to see how his career unfolds from there.

I think so too, people need to stop deluding themselves with the Claret tinted glasses.As it stands, good move for them, loss for us. However "We go again"?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bringbackbigron said:

We didn't pay Lille 9m all in one go I'd suggest.....

Players will only agree to release clauses if it's a realistic amount e.g. if we go down no one would pay 15-20m for him. Who knows maybe that would've been the release clause if we'd stayed up but it's been reduced 50% like his wages....

49 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Surely he's squad filler though? Rather than a starting role. 

Everton need some energy in central midfield...Barry, James McCarthy,Besic, Cleverley, it's all a bit slow and one paced so think Gana will do alright for them but he isn't going to drive them into the champions league.

42 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

I tend to disagree with the majority of your football assessment and this is no exception.

Regardless though, whatever player he might become at Everton is not one we were ever going to see at Aston Villa, and that's all I'm concerned about.

We all have our opinions on individuals.....but the trick is to build a team.

If the principle can be appreciated, (without resorting to different times)..,....In 1981 we had players that were unfancied by our competitors and initially dubious by us fans....but the management of the day, built a team.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I tend to disagree with the majority of your football assessment and this is no exception.

Regardless though, whatever player he might become at Everton is not one we were ever going to see at Aston Villa, and that's all I'm concerned about.

Yep. It doesn't matter if he's a super star there. He did nothing to prevent our relegation and he doesn't want to be here. 

• Like 2

He's not a James Milner, Gareth Barry, Ashley Young, or David Platt. When he signed he made it clear we were a stepping stone and he didn't pull up any trees last season.  I for one won't miss him. 

Onwards and upwards UTV. 

• Like 1

Everton: We would like to meet Gana's release clause, will you give him permission to travel?

Wyness: We do not welcome any bids for him

Everton: Obviously, but it's a release clause?

Wyness: We do not welcome any bids for him

Everton: You can't hold him against his will. Technically he is free to speak to us and sign for us.

Wyness: We do not welcome any bids for him.

Everton: Ok, we're just going to call him direct. 

*Paperwork comes in confirming transfer

Wyness: Shit, thought that would work.

Â