Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

5 minutes ago, Flynnchin84 said:

You're saying Gueye over Drinkwater, Mendy, WIlshere, Ramsey, Dier, Alli, Toure, Fernandinho, Schwiensteiger, and potentially Pogba?

3 are the wrong side of 30, one lives in a wheelchair, one isn't trusted to play CM at his club and the other two will be moving on from Tottenham shortly.

So why not!

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't even know who he is.  That's how little attention I paid last year.

Is he any good? :lol: 

remember Reo-Coker. well Gana is the Senegalese version

• Like 2

5 hours ago, poitier said:

I'm genuinely surprised by how many people on here seem not to rate him. Disappointed that it looks like we will lose him, but he's too good for the championship. An absolute steal for £7m.

We over spent on him, £7m - £10m is about right based on today's market.

There was a touch of the Sánchez about him in that he often did something good only to give the opposition an assist with his next touch

could have been trying to do too much due to not having any decent outlet alongside him but then moving to Everton is hardly going to give him world class options either a lot depends on if Koeman can get him it of the habit of sidewise and backwards

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Such a shame . Of the midfielders we have he'd be last on my list to go. But I guess who's going to want our shit players 

Guzan to boro, Sinclair heavily linked with Celtic, Richards linked with Sunderland, Sanchez linked with Marseille. Veretout linked with a couple of clubs. 

Guzan - goalie

sinclair - forward current links say villa rejected several bids 

Richards - defender current links say moyes not interested

Sanchez - no links for ages

veretout - not shit

i did say midfielders. Plus all you have are paper links. Just like the Ayew rumours, have they gone yet ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

It's funny how people see different things. I'm a season ticket holder so I watched him every week (not saying that makes me opinion more valid though) and thought he ranged from on overly aggressive (as in dangerous) to sloppy and lacking awareness. The stat of him intercepting loads feels skewed - how is it worked out? Did it count every time he lost the ball and then tackled them back? That'd count for about half! Then it'd also take in to account the fact our midfield was constantly being attacked, is it pure numbers?

The stats can say whatever you want but, in my opinion, he was a liability most of the time. He offered nothing going forward, was sloppy and seemed lost a lot of the time. I think midfielders especially can influence a game far more than most however bad you are as a team - an amazing striker in a rubbish team might get cut off but a midfielder should be taking a game by the scruff of the neck and I never saw Gana do that. He's better than Sanchez, he's better than Veretout perhaps. Doesn't mean he's good. I don't think he'll achieve anything in the Premier League, whichever team he's at.

Not desperate for him to go like some but couldn't care less he may well be.

This guy has it spot on with how Gana played last season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Guzan - goalie

sinclair - forward current links say villa rejected several bids 

Richards - defender current links say moyes not interested

Sanchez - no links for ages

veretout - not shit

i did say midfielders. Plus all you have are paper links. Just like the Ayew rumours, have they gone yet ?

You said shit players not just midfield players. 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

That he wants to play at a higher level than the Championship?

You don't think they all want that? Yet some are committed to helping fix the major issue they caused last year. Whereas others are jumping ship as soon as they can. Gana came in thinking he was better than us, did nothing to help us and now has left at the first chance. Part of our downfall is average players not committed and some actually wish them well. 

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

You don't think they all want that? Yet some are committed to helping fix the major issue they caused last year. Whereas others are jumping ship as soon as they can. Gana came in thinking he was better than us, did nothing to help us and now has left at the first chance. Part of our downfall is average players not committed and some actually wish them well. 

Dunno, I thought he was the best of a bad bunch. He's far too good for the Championship imo and if he has the choice to play at Villa next year or Everton I know where I'd go (if I weren't a Villa fan, like him). It's just football, I've gone past feeling sour when a player wants to leave, happens to everyone. Whilst our midfield was shocking last season, I saw more effort from him than anyone else. 

• Like 1

Westwood, Gana, Sanchez all do the same role to all pretty much the same standard so I have no issue with a couple of them being moved on.

Tshibola has come in and seems to favour the more defensive role also from what I have seen so far although I am hoping he will be more box to box.

We haven’t had someone who can really stamp his authority on a game in years. Someone who can really dictate the play for us. Barry and Petrov were probably the last players who could do this. This type of player is desperately needed. I'd take Barry back in a heartbeat to do it for a couple of seasons.

You need balance in midfield and we don’t have it at the moment so changes are certainly needed. The best balance in a midfield that I recall over the last 30 odd years was probably Taylor, Draper and Townsend. It had a bit of everything.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Just now, PieFacE said:

Dunno, I thought he was the best of a bad bunch. He's far too good for the Championship imo and if he has the choice to play at Villa next year or Everton I know where I'd go (if I weren't a Villa fan, like him). It's just football, I've gone past feeling sour when a player wants to leave, happens to everyone. Whilst our midfield was shocking last season, I saw more effort from him than anyone else. 

He worked hard and he certainly wasn't our worst player but he did nothing to make us better. I don't feel sour I want the likes of him gone from this team, I want to watch players who want to be here and help us not players who think they're too good for us and have done since the day they signed. 

• Like 2

Â