Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Would anyone take Defoe for a year? Unhappy at Sunderland. I think I'd have him.

I genuinely don't think he's good enough for us at this point. Currently, Bournemouth are looking to get him and I think that's his level - we should be looking for more.

Doubt we will see Austin, problem is there is only one upside - he may score the goals he is expected to.

The down side is at 26 there is no resale value, a 5 yr deal brings the risk of one season (prem) wonder. He could blow up injury wise.

With Keita he is relatively cheap but with age on his side and CL experience, a £7m punt could be £30m in two years time. With Afobe, £15m is nailed on value, the boy is the next big thing.

• Like 1

Can't believe people actually want Balotelli here. The guy couldn't give a shit, and by all accounts makes that absolutely apparent every day in training.

Totally unhelpful character to have around.

This - not the kind of guy we need.

• Like 1

I'm not keen on Austin, I've never really watched a game and come away thinking how good he is - he's one of those players that never looks fit.

Saying that, if he comes here, I hope he proves me wrong. I'd rather we avoided this one though.

• Like 1

I'm not keen on Austin myself either. I'm also not sure why anyone would want Balotelli at all, has an awful attitude and generally offers nothing upfront in terms of work rate. If Darren Bent infuriated because he looked lazy Balotelli stands little to no chance.

The funny thing is I think we need a player like Bent now. A year ago we had midfielders who couldn't create chances and were relying on Benteke to do it all himself. Now we have Gil, Grealish, Traore, and Sinclair who all look to create. We need someone who will stay in that box and finish off the chances and make smart runs. 

• Like 2

The funny thing is I think we need a player like Bent now. A year ago we had midfielders who couldn't create chances and were relying on Benteke to do it all himself. Now we have Gil, Grealish, Traore, and Sinclair who all look to create. We need someone who will stay in that box and finish off the chances and make smart runs.

Id argue as we already have Kozak who is a poucher and Gestede who is overall better than Bent. Neither played our first game nor those three. Infact we were the least team creating chances in the first two games *looks familiar lol*.

Few chances you could say a better striker could have put it.

We could argue about the goal scorers when these players are back. I think Kozak would do Bent job if needed.

Its more than Bent quality which we are asking for, an improvement in what we have already so we could feel more comfortable.

I agree with this. In the under 21's Derby game we played Grealish, Gil and Traore together. If we do that a lot this season then we wont have a problem creating chances and getting the ball into the box. What we need is a poacher/finisher that can latch onto everything and put a few in the net. Ayew could turn out to be that man. Gabby is not styled to that, he is better suited to taking the ball into the box himself. Sinclair could probably do it. Rudy and Kozak are target men so we have options. The fact remains though that the No:10 shirt is vacant so will probably be filled by someone. Austin would fit the bill for me but I think that would have already happened if it was going to.

Its a nice job for someone that can finish tbh because there wont be a shortage of opportunities with Traore, Jack & Gil as direct supply plus Amavi's crosses and Westwoods long balls. Gay has an eye for a through ball too.

We don't need another unproven Premier League striker.

My money is on Lescott and Defoe...

Or Lescott and Austin.

Simples. (No ITK was proffered in this snippet and represents no resale value or compensation for inaccurate happenstances occurring hence).

People are talking about Austin like he's in his 30's. He's 26 and even if he has little resale value, he will repay the 15M within the season. 15 goals a season goes a long way in plugging up a Benteke sized hole in this team, and I get the feeling he'd thrive off of the attacking midfielders here. I say break the bank.

• Like 3