Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

For sure Sherwood got him playing well again, but that is far and away the least important factor when recruiting players.

We are finally starting to operate like a professional organisation, have invested in Reilly to head up a recruitment team.  If you start making player decisions based oh I think he's a good lad and I can get him playing well, trust me, well we might as well go out all and hire Redknapp as a director of football. That's a medieval way of operating, we need to be thinking way more progressively.  Sherwood could be gone in December, imagine if we did sign him on 80k p/w over 3 years, stuck with him then..

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article4493058.ece

Newcastle United are in a strong position to sign Nicolas Nkoulou after Marseilles decided that they would prefer to sell the Cameroon captain and centre back to a club in England than allow him to move to Lyons for £7 million. Aston Villa and Sunderland are among the other clubs interested in the 25-year-old.

• Like 1

N'Koulou would be a great signing at the heart of our defence.

If we were to have a back 3 of him, Clark and Richards, it would be brilliant and Gueye just sitting in front.

------------------------Gueye------------------------------

----------Clark------N'Koulou------Richards------------

I genuinely wish that mentioning Twitter was banned on this site (unless it comes from one of our players).

It's garbage.

It isn't at all. Get used to it.

I bet you still own a VHS player.

Twitter isn't garbage. I use it myself.

But football rumours on Twitter ARE garbage.

people post them and everybody gets in a fuss about it, before realising it was a random tweet from Joe Bloggs who has no credibility whatsoever.

Newspaper rumours are bad enough. but Twitter rumours make them look like gospel.

• Like 1

The only thing twitter is good for when it comes to transfers is finding random foreign articles disclosing our interest in a player.  Usually in the foreign media before it is here.

For sure Sherwood got him playing well again, but that is far and away the least important factor when recruiting players.

We are finally starting to operate like a professional organisation, have invested in Reilly to head up a recruitment team. If you start making player decisions based oh I think he's a good lad and I can get him playing well, trust me, well we might as well go out all and hire Redknapp as a director of football. That's a medieval way of operating, we need to be thinking way more progressively. Sherwood could be gone in December, imagine if we did sign him on 80k p/w over 3 years, stuck with him then..

if we got a talented player playing well that's the least important thing??? Bizarre!

Sherwood could be gone by December? Absolutely nothing suggests that, we hope to be investing in the team this summer under his direction. Why would we do that if we think he'll be gone by December, makes no sense.

Buying progressively, what does that mean. We tried only buying youth and that didn't work. We need to take risks, some talent that we can get playing well now that means the team playing well making us more attractive to other players and focus off younger/new players like Gueye and Grealish. That's progressive......

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind Adebayor on something like a 2 year deal? Sherwood managed to get a lot out of him and he does have a lot of ability.

The problem with Adebayor is his mentality. He can play a bit, i'll give you that but if things start going wrong you won't see him during the game, he will sulk and walk around. That is the sort of mentality that Lambert seemed to get from players and it was part of the reason we have struggled so much, we really don't need players like this any more. 

Take Richards for example, he turned down two big clubs to come and play for Villa and from what i've seen of him so far he looks really happy to be here. This happy positive vibe going from him will effect the rest of the squad and we need this, we don't need problems this season and I think Adebayor has the risk of being one. 

Edited by Grumpy_Lion
  • Like 2

Most rumours are garbage. Twitter is just another source whether you believe it or not is up to you. With the adebayor link it's come from Talksport would you have believed it if you heard it on the radio? Personally I wouldn't but it just shows all forms of media are generally crap take the rumours pages in the tabloids as another example. If we did sign Adebayor I'd trust Sherwood to make it work and on reasonable wages but I doubt very much this will happen as it's the easiest link going. One things for sure I wouldn't feel sick or violated if we did but then again over reaction isn't really in my nature.

Said this in Aly's thread but I think we could do with recruiting two players for LB/LWB. Both to give us options to play a true LB and a wing back and for squad cover/competition reasons.

Most rumours are garbage. Twitter is just another source whether you believe it or not is up to you. With the adebayor link it's come from Talksport would you have believed it if you heard it on the radio? Personally I wouldn't but it just shows all forms of media are generally crap take the rumours pages in the tabloids as another example. If we did sign Adebayor I'd trust Sherwood to make it work and on reasonable wages but I doubt very much this will happen as it's the easiest link going. One things for sure I wouldn't feel sick or violated if we did but then again over reaction isn't really in my nature.

The difference is, whilst a lot of it is still untrue, at least rumours in papers and on the radio come from a journalist or an agent or somebody with at least a chance of having some insight.

99% of twitter rumour come from trolls or 11 year olds just lying for the sake of it.

The buying of players is always a precarious business.

When we was at our best is when Tony barton was talent spotting and Roy mclaren was training them and Ron Saunders was blending a team.

It always is about youth and experience as a blend and getting round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes.

We have rarely had success in individual players paying huge sums.....so I am more interested in the player than their fee.

Dwight Yorke, Andy Gray, Christian Benteke are testaments to that.

We just have to wait and see and hope our back room staff get it right.

The difference is, whilst a lot of it is still untrue, at least rumours in papers and on the radio come from a journalist or an agent or somebody with at least a chance of having some insight.

99% of twitter rumour come from trolls or 11 year olds just lying for the sake of it.

Talksport said this rumour today though. And like anything you have to judge it yourself a lot of what's in the papers these days is gleamed from Twitter and other social media even forums Ultimately if you don't take everyone too seriously it's not a problem believing everything you read is when people go nuts.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article4493058.ece

Newcastle United are in a strong position to sign Nicolas Nkoulou after Marseilles decided that they would prefer to sell the Cameroon captain and centre back to a club in England than allow him to move to Lyons for £7 million. Aston Villa and Sunderland are among the other clubs interested in the 25-year-old.

That would be a fantastic signing!

• Like 1

We are finally starting to operate like a professional organisation, have invested in Reilly to head up a recruitment team.  If you start making player decisions based oh I think he's a good lad and I can get him playing well, trust me, well we might as well go out all and hire Redknapp as a director of football. That's a medieval way of operating, we need to be thinking way more progressively.  Sherwood could be gone in December, imagine if we did sign him on 80k p/w over 3 years, stuck with him then..

I have to agree and disagree with you there, we are finally operating like a professional organisation and player recruitment is much improved but the best managers in world football will tell you attitude is as, if not more important that ability. Plus we're not in the league of signing the Zlatans of this world.

It's not medieval to operate in that manner, it's medieval to think you can succeed with a team of workhorses and not have an enigmatic spark among them. Or to have a bunch of 'talent'.

It's also crazy to give up on player who is over 21, in Spain, Germany, Italy those players are not discarded unlike our modern British attitude, many late bloomers are superb.

A balance needs to be struck, Fergie always knew how, Jose still keeps the likes of Mikel around, Wenger is top 4 even with players many fans giggle about, and the list continues. We don't want to be Spurs where new recruitment is the only success (ironically apart from the Sherwood era), it's unstable, we need to be Villa of old where good team players meet undeniable talent and a squad is built with an ethos established.