Carles Gil

bose

He is frustrating, he does get bundled off the ball extremely [too] easily and shows no tenacity for winning it back. For all his technical ability he has little effective end product. For example, this weekend towards the end of the match he ran into the box on a great little run but squared it to no one - not his fault there was no one there, but a shot was on but not taken. It was a waste.

If he could work on this he would become very useful, maybe with better movement in front of him, and better forwards he would shine?

i so want him to improve, he could be great.

8 hours ago, briny_ear said:

In the sense of being easily bundled off the ball, neither David Villa nor David Silva suffer/ed from that problem because mostly defenders can't/couldn't get anywhere near them.

You are nobly trying to defend the comment but i fear you are making things worse.

No he's making perfect sense.

Nobody compared Gil and Villa in anything other than them being lightweight (which isn't something I necessarily agree with, bu tit's beside the point). All they said was that Villa was a lightweight player and that it didn't matter i.e. if you're good enough, it doesn't matter if you're lightweight.

It would be the same as me saying, if somebody criticised Player A for being short,  "Well Mathieu Valbuena is short too and it's never mattered". I'm not comparing Player A in any way other than height.

Once again, and you seem to be an expert at this, you've complained about something that's been said, yet nobody has actually said it.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

He is frustrating, he does get bundled off the ball extremely [too] easily and shows no tenacity for winning it back. For all his technical ability he has little effective end product. For example, this weekend towards the end of the match he ran into the box on a great little run but squared it to no one - not his fault there was no one there, but a shot was on but not taken. It was a waste.

If he could work on this he would become very useful, maybe with better movement in front of him, and better forwards he would shine?

i so want him to improve, he could be great.

The commentator/pundit/whatever on whichever (completely legal) site I was watching the game on seemed to really enjoy Gil.  He mentioned him losing the ball a few times but said he was the only player in the Villa team willing to take people on.  His summation was "if Villa go down, I don't think Gil will be staying with them next season".

Might not go down to well but this guy is overrated by many I think. True he has a bit of skill but is incredibly lightweight and does not track back. Not our worst player by any means, but even if we were properly run and became a mid prem table side he wouldn't be near the starting XI. In my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Might not go down to well but this guy is overrated by many I think. True he has a bit of skill but is incredibly lightweight and does not track back. Not our worst player by any means, but even if we were properly run and became a mid prem table side he wouldn't be near the starting XI. In my opinion.

I agree, has very little effect on games. 

There's a good player in Gil, but in a dire team like ours, he'll look just as poor.

If he was at Arsenal or Spuds playing with better players, I have no doubts he wouldn't look out of place.

I can't stand his corners but that makes me think what on earth we are doing in training because it can't be practising them or free-kicks because none of the players can take a decent one.

Edited by Spray
  • Like 2

Luckily for Mahrez he's had a striking partner who, for the vast majority of the season, has been in form and taken his chances.

With a decent striker in front of him, I imagine Gil's assist stats would be much higher.

As it is, he's still a very useful player for us and we certainly look better with him in the team than without him. If only we had someone who could put the ball in the back of the net.

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Luckily for Mahrez he's had a striking partner who, for the vast majority of the season, has been in form and taken his chances.

With a decent striker in front of him, I imagine Gil's assist stats would be much higher.

As it is, he's still a very useful player for us and we certainly look better with him in the team than without him. If only we had someone who could put the ball in the back of the net.

I'm not sure they would. He's not someone who creates lots of chances or puts regular dangerous balls into the right areas. He has his moments, more than most our players but putting it down to others isn't right IMO. 

Â