Carles Gil

bose

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You might not have agreed with the decision but the manager, for what ever reason, chose not to use him. That's not being treated like shit. 

Well it depends on how you look at it doesn't it. Perception differs between individuals and I personally thought Sherwood treated him like shit. If that's okay with you of course?!

Now that doesn't mean I didn't agree with Sherwoods decision to drop him but I felt at the time he was used a a scapegoat. Like I said though, it's my opinion.

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Well it depends on how you look at it doesn't it. Perception differs between individuals and I personally thought Sherwood treated him like shit. If that's okay with you of course?!

Now that doesn't mean I didn't agree with Sherwoods decision to drop him but I felt at the time he was used a a scapegoat. Like I said though, it's my opinion.

You're entitled to it. But I think you're basing it on nothing. He wasn't playing well, he suffered an injury and the team were performing well enough without him. How that means he was treated like shit is beyond me. 

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You're entitled to it. But I think you're basing it on nothing. He wasn't playing well, he suffered an injury and the team were performing well enough without him. How that means he was treated like shit is beyond me. 

Is it because I used the word shit?! If so my apologies for the offence and maybe it was a bit of a strong word to use.

Sherwood bombed him out when he arrived and it also looked very doubtful for a time that he would even be here this season. Now without trawling through the internet looking for references to some of the comments he made(as I cannot be bothered) at the time regarding Gil. I believe he was dropped initially due to Sherwoods idea that he wasn't up for the fight etc, hence Gil was looking for possible talks over his future at the back end of last season after only playing once or twice off the bench.

Also considering Gil was arguably our best player until Sherwood arrived and although he deserved possibly dropping after a dip in form. I felt at the time he was still relatively new to the country and still settling. And as with Veretout this season deserved a more arm around the shoulder approach than to be slated in the national press. I even think at the time Sherwood said something along the lines of "We already have this type of player and I don't need more", etc. Now as a player brought in mid season to struggling team in a new country, culture, language etc and after starting off so well, was it the best way of dealing with him? Was it also the best way of dealing with Veretout this year dropping him and not bothering?!

Now for what it's worth I liked Sherwood when he arrived as he was fresh air in a stale environment however dropping Gil to virtually never be seen again for the rest of the season(even when not injured) I didn't agree with or liked very much. What I do agree with is that we were playing okay and getting results, but certain games we were still utter shit still and especially the Southampton, Burnley and the Cup Final when Carles would've given us arguably much more positivity on the pitch.

I'm not looking for you or anyone to agree as it's just my opinion, we all have them and as you have stated my reasoning is beyond you, as I am sure many other things are too as with us all at times.    

Edited by avfc1982am

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, I just don't think he was treated like shit or treated particularly badly.  He wasn't rated by the manger, that happens to a lot of players at some point in their career. And with his dip in form, his injury and the team doing well, that didn't help his cause much.  Was he managed badly? Maybe, like with other players Sherwood could have done more to get the best out of them but then he did get performances from other players.  Maybe it wasn't the point you were trying to get across, but the idea of him being treated like shit, sounds too much IMO.

9 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

I swear I seen him use his right foot to cross the ball, in which was diving headered over the bar before Bacuna had to head it in.

He is lightweight and muscled off the ball a lot. 

Nah apparently he can't use his right foot ;)

Carles Gil is so lightweight, gets muscled off the ball far too often and gives the ball away infuriatingly often but I can't dislike the guy. He makes stuff happen and does it in the most elegant way possible, he's one of the few players on the pitch that makes our dull and insipid football interesting to watch and for that I hope he's here next season.. 

• Like 1

He is another player that would benefit from more forward options to pass to. I think he often gets muscled off the ball because he is looking for a pass and can't find one, so he tries to hold onto the ball until he can.

It's a bit unfortunate that both he and Veretout seem best suited to the tip of the diamond and not so effective on the right.

13 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Dear oh dear.

Carles Gil = David Villa?

That's a new one, I think, one from the very outer edges of the planetary system!

Good job nobody said that then.

• Like 3

The 'intention' was to state that David Villa (although I think he meant David Silva) is a lightweight player, which is the only comparison to Gil I can see.

You chose to infer it the way you did, to ridicule somebody. Good job.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The 'intention' was to state that David Villa (although I think he meant David Silva) is a lightweight player, which is the only comparison to Gil I can see.

You chose to infer it the way you did, to ridicule somebody. Good job.

In the sense of being easily bundled off the ball, neither David Villa nor David Silva suffer/ed from that problem because mostly defenders can't/couldn't get anywhere near them.

You are nobly trying to defend the comment but i fear you are making things worse.

Edited by briny_ear

40 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Dear oh dear.

Carles Gil = David Villa?

That's a new one, I think, one from the very outer edges of the planetary system!

Patronising comment designed to belittle another user over something that wasn't said.

As I said, good job.

• Like 1

Back on topic - with perhaps the exception of Ayew, Gil seems to be the only player willing to take the defenders on and get to the by line.

Needs a bit of space to operate though - and that is in short supply if there is little to no other threat in our side. WBA tried to hound him all game with some success.

Â