Carles Gil

bose

He needs to play in the role behind the striker where he doesn't have to worry about making big tackles or tracking back etc. He is the guile we have cried out for, for years now. Play Sanchez directly in front of the back four as the protector who breaks up play. Play Gana as the man who goes box to box and does a bit of everything. Play Gil behind the striker who takes shots from around the edge of the area and who spreads the play out wide to the attacking wide players and, little slide-rule passes for the striker to run on to etc.

• Like 3

I don't think I said it makes everything he does right, if I did word it that way I was wrong to do so. Your second paragraph I agree with, we achieved our goal so the odd mistake or wrong decision doesn't matter because let's face it, every single person makes the odd mistake. Achieving the goal set for you does justify those decisions though. People might not like them and can speculate it would have been better, but the cold hard fact is that those decisions achieved the one main goal. 

Talking about Gil in the team now is relevant and there's no doubt he should be in and I'm confident he will be. Still going on about last season when we stayed up seems absolutely pointless to me.

who is to say we would have still stayed up with him in the team...... we could have had more points.

He needs to play in the Paul Merson role

Yeah I think he nneeds to take a gamble every now and then ;)

he did......in joining us.

• Like 1

I enjoyed watching us last night when he came on. That was the actual difference he made. I know Garde was there watching too. I'm intrigued to find out what he saw last night.

I cannot fathom that anybody who saw that came could possibly come to any conclusion other than Gil changed the game when he came on. As TRO says, the difference in his ability compared to the rest of our players was glaring.

If he still can't get game time under our new manager then I'd be tempted to say he must be an outrageously bad trainer or a poisonous personality as there would be no other explanation!

I don't think either of those things are true though. I think Sherwood just didn't know what he was doing.

• Like 2

Best player on the pitch first half.

I imagine there's some fans furious he was subbed for nzogbia and we got a point.

Yes but he was getting tired and man city were taking over. We had to do something and taking off one of the others would have been a tactical risk. I had no problem and to be honest Zoggy was pretty good.

• Like 1

He did well first half on the ball but rarely tracked back and even then he managed to tire quicker than everyone else. He was anonymous second half primarily because of his lack of fitness, although Citeh did get closer to him and snuff him out.

There are things I like about him as a player, and we certainly need to work on giving him more options for when he is on the ball, but I just worry about his physicality. I'm not sure if he has what it takes to make it in the PL. If you think of similarly built, technical players like Silva or Coutinho, they have good pace to complement their abilities. I guess that is why he is playing for us and not a CL team.

• Like 1

He was good today but I'd rather see him play central with a free role behind the striker.

Me too and I'm sure he will be in some other games. Today was a defensive shape with basically a midfield-five out of possession so there was no #10.

Would I like about him is he moves the ball really quickly in central midfield, similar to what Barry used to do releasing Young quickly.

What would help is if we had someone in central midfield who could do that and just leave Carles to play off the striker.

Justifiably in ahead of Grealish, big role to play for us rest of season.

Â