Carles Gil

bose

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Curious why there aren't any posts about Gil this week?

He's starting now so there's one less to moan about after we've lost... again.

Second best player behind Veretout.

Grealish staying on ahead of him was an error from Garde but he was knackered from running around and being the one of the only players trying to use the ball.

Thought he was poor yesterday, very lightweight and lost the ball on many occasions.

Don't get me wrong I like him as a player and he should've played far more under Sherwood but the way some go on about him on here you'd think he's as good as David Silva and can keep us up on his own.

Not sure what Remi will do next week, I've called for 4-4-2 so not sure where you fit Gil in there. I did think yesterday we'd play 4-4-1-1 with him as number 10 behind Ayew but him and Grealish playing as wide midfield was what Sherwood did against WBA so disappointed in that.

I just wonder whether he is the type of player that we can pin our hopes on keeping us up. To me he is skilful but lightweight and a luxury player who wasn't good enough to make it at Valencia. Silva is in a different class.

I'd like to see him play centrally against Watford in place of Veretout, with Sanchez and Gana behind him.  You can't really rely on him and Grealish to do enough defensive work to play both on the wings away to teams like Everton (hopefully Garde has learnt that from yesterday, despite it working to a degree against City), but at home to teams we need to finish above we have to trust them to make the difference.

I'm not convinced of how effective he can be stuck out wide. Especially when the only players in front of him are an isolated central striker. He's not the kind of guy to take the ball down the wing and whip in a cross.

He needs to be getting the ball centrally and have players running beyond him. He's a pass threader, not a cross whipper.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree ... We need to move away from this alleged 4-3-3 with Sinclair / grealish /Gil as forwards come wingers and go with something that allows him to go more central and thread balls or interchange plays with Ayew.

Â