Carles Gil

bose

We haven't seen the his best as he's in and out of the team constantly. Give him a run of games. 

If we haven't seen him at his best, and he barely played for Valencia then how is he our best player? 

says alot about our squad then doesnt it....

We haven't seen the his best as he's in and out of the team constantly. Give him a run of games. 

If we haven't seen him at his best, and he barely played for Valencia then how is he our best player? 

because Tim doesnt play him, him and Kozak are hidden superstars :P

hes not playing Nzogbia.. noone is thinking he is a hidden superstar. Maybe people can spot talent better than others ;)

• Like 3

It seems people like to be contrarian for the sake of it. Sidwell, really? His skill is clear despite his limited game time, and I don't see the point of trying to downplay it with red herrings like "well he was 3rd choice at Valencia [a top 6 club in a superior league, mm ok] so clearly he isn't very good". 

• Like 1

It's not pointless but like every other stat it can't just be the only thing. If someone passes the ball 2 yards and someone else shoots miles over from 40 yards is that a key pass? If someone lobs in an aimless high ball and our forward manages to get a slight touch on it, is that a key pass? 

Agreed. Some stats are too open to interpretation to be used conclusively, this is one.

That's why I like to watch players and see how good they are. Gil is very good. Compared to most of our team, he's absolutely brilliant.

Do you want N'Zogbia back in the team yet?

depends. If he helps us win a few games I wouldn't be against it.

The only important stat is goals scored. Seriously, who gives a shit about `key passes' that lead to unsuccessful goal attempts.

As a supporter I judge a player's performance by what I see. Stats may be a useful aid for club management, but they really do not give a full picture of a player's performance and ability. 

Anyone with half a brain to be honest. You can't score goals if you don't create chances. This isn't particularly complicated.

The only important stat is goals scored. Seriously, who gives a shit about `key passes' that lead to unsuccessful goal attempts.

As a supporter I judge a player's performance by what I see. Stats may be a useful aid for club management, but they really do not give a full picture of a player's performance and ability. 

Anyone with half a brain to be honest. You can't score goals if you don't create chances. This isn't particularly complicate

My half brain tells me that a `key pass' is only a statistic. If `key passes' are not recorded, they still occur on the pitch. You have taken discussion about statistics and inserted a real life argument that is invalid.

Westwood floated a corner a mile over Gestede head on saturday and he miraculously made a header at goal

is that a key pass? If it is then its a shit statistic. A key pass sounds like its a crucial pass which makes a difference

Westwood floated a corner a mile over Gestede head on saturday and he miraculously made a header at goal

is that a key pass? If it is then its a shit statistic. A key pass sounds like its a crucial pass which makes a difference

That's the problem with statistics, and who knows where that particular scenario lies.  It doesn't make it a "shit statistic".

An assist could be a player taking aim from 25 yards, firing in a shot that is heading miles wide, but an attacker turns it into the net instead.  It doesn't make it a good pass, it does make it an assist.

The unlikely scenario is that a player is consistently making "key passes" or "assists" which are the results of terrible passes.

• Like 4

There's a place for statistics in football. I used to work with statistical data and have a fair idea of how useful number crunching can be, but also that it can be misleading if done incorrectly. It's fair to say, for some, stats are surplus in assessing a player's abilities. 

At the very least, the key pass stat supports the notion that Gil is one of our more creative players. Now that we've lost the brilliance of Benteke, we'll need our creative players to provide as many chances as they can to give Sinclair/ Gestede/ Ayew/ Gabby as many opportunities to get on the scoresheet. 

I'm no expert on the game, there are plenty on this site who have a better understanding and are more articulate than me. But FWIW, I rate Gil regardless of data support, as in the majority of the games he's played, the opposition seem to be wary of him. He's been incredibly composed - looks comfortable on the ball, which is impressive considering he's not really been played consistently and he's been happy to track back and help out.

• Like 3

It is. Just like it would have counted as an assist if Gestede managed to score.

There will always be anomalies with stats. You can't just pluck one out of the air and say it makes the statistic pointless. 

If the ball bounces off Gestede's arse while he's not looking and it goes in, it counts as a goal for him. You dont' start excluding goals from his goal tally because he didn't mean it.

The point is if somebody is regularly providing key passes then chances are they're creating chances. If a player created one key pass in one game and it was a fluke, then you'd have a point. But you can't pull out an anomaly and say it proves a stat is useless.

• Like 2

That was very obviously a training ground routine to hit it deep thinking that Chelsea would try to match Gestede's runs to the 6 yard box as it is his trademark.

Whether it registers as a key pass depends on whether (and this is crucial) the people who physically watch the game and count these statistics decides it is. In this case, was it actually an attempt at goal by Gestede or was it an attempt to head it to a player or just get something on it to keep it alive. What a lot of you seem to forget is that it is real people watching games that count all this using very specific guidelines their judgement to be as accurate as possible. So these scenarios you dream up, where a player does something utterly terrible regularly throughout a game that always leads to unscorable shots on goal and in turn a very impressive key pass statistic, are just pure fantasy. The margins of error are just not that large.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

guess noone can accuse him of wanting to leave now ;)

Point scoring and jokes aside...  it is good to see the chap happy. I just hope he can get a run of games.. every player should be afforded time and he hasnt had a proper chance to get used to the pace of the game and with his team mates. I have no doubt after a consecutive run of 10-12 games he will be firing for us.

GIL INTERIVEW

The diminutive playmaker is still trying to adapt to the physicality of English football at this stage but he claims that the encouragement he has received from the claret and blue faithful over the past nine months has been a big help during the adjustment.

“The fans always help the team and help me,” said Gil. “They always encourage me and I’m very happy here.

“It’s different. Here it’s more physical but the fans are very, very good so I like playing in the Premier League.”

“I’m happy when I play,” he added. “I always want to play and when I do I always try to help my teammates.

“It’s a very good feeling [to score]. Everyone likes scoring goals and I think it was my first or second game against Bournemouth that I scored. Leicester was the same, but I wasn’t happy because we lost the game.”

• Like 1

He's my favourite player at the club by a mile.

Pleasing to watch and plays with a smile on his face.  He looks like he just loves playing football.  Not only this, but he's probably our best player too.

Just has to start every game, for me.

Still not getting a sniff.

Â