Carles Gil

bose

Gil had a good game considering we were snuffed out by good defenders and barely any possession in the final third. I thought his work rate was awesome.. he was really good off the ball in defence and attack.

No problems with him going off as he did run out of puff. I just hope he can get a run of games. Garde said hes a useful player for us. Which is positive. Almost every game he has played with us has been against really good sides. Would love to see him against the likes of Sunderland.

Best player on the pitch first half.

I imagine there's some fans furious he was subbed for nzogbia and we got a point.

Umm, why would anybody be furious in a game where Gil started and played 70 mins? In your hastiness to point score I think you're confusing people's frustrations with Gil not playing at all for a long period of time with people being frustrated (furious? lol) simply because N'Zogbia is playing instead of Gil at any point in time as that was never the issue.

• Like 3

You sure about that? He has started 8 league games for us according to Soccerway

We've gotten 18 points in the 29 league games since he signed. 13 of those points came in a short span of games after Sherwood took over. From what I remember Gil only got picked when Sherwood's initial huff and puff was over and he started chopping and changing the side every weekend.

For some strange reason I don't think Gil is the problem :)

Edited by tarjei

My only concern with Gil is his apparent lack of pace, illustrated in that break away chance we had in the first half where he was caught up by two defenders.

Then again that's not really what he's there for. He'll get pushed off the ball from time to time but for the most part his ball retention is good.

Apparently only the 2nd point (in 12 games) we've picked up in games where he has started!

well those stats are useless considering the whole team were garbage over a long period of time under Sherwood. Also he always seemed to play against the big sides.. Chelsea Man Utd Liverpool from memory.

Anyway new manager.. new times. Bring it on.

My only concern with Gil is his apparent lack of pace, illustrated in that break away chance we had in the first half where he was caught up by two defenders.

Then again that's not really what he's there for. He'll get pushed off the ball from time to time but for the most part his ball retention is good.

As you pointed out, that's not his game (ironically, running 40 yards like mad onto a hopeful punt is the only time I want to see Gabby on the pitch) . Gil's pace is only of concern over 5-10 yards. Being so lightweight will be an advantage for this.

But the frustration was there even when we were getting results and playing well.

But players weren't performing well enough to justify Gil getting no gametime. Not in and out of the team, not coming on as sub or playing second fiddle. Almost NO gametime.

That's the point that you keep missing (I'm assuming deliberately now as it's been made about a thousand times).

The results barely matter.

We best west brom twice in a week, both with good performances and followed that up with a 4-0 destruction of Sunderland. And yet during that period there's pages in this thread with people saying he should have been playing or should have come on longer. I guess you've ignored those performances and results, because I'd love to know why players should have been dropped when winning 3 consecutive games.

We've gone over this a hundred times. Like I said, I assume you're ignoring the points I've made dozens and dozens of times.

So let's agree to disagree to save everyone the pain of reading the same shite again.

He's rightly in the team now, as he should have been all along. So happy days.

• Like 1

You mean where he was caught by one defender who sneakily pulled him back giving the other defender an opportunity to snatch the ball away?

• Like 4

He does lack pace but Fernandinho played him perfectly there as well. Held him long enough to stop him getting by and then as soon as the other defender had it covered he threw his arms up in the air just to make sure there was no hint of the ref noticing it.

You sure about that? He has started 8 league games for us according to Soccerway

We've gotten 18 points in the 29 league games since he signed. 13 of those points came in a short span of games after Sherwood took over. From what I remember Gil only got picked when Sherwood's initial huff and puff was over and he started chopping and changing the side every weekend.

For some strange reason I don't think Gil is the problem [emoji4]

I went via the Premier League website. Has how many games a player has started, how many were wins, draws, losses, goals scored, conceded.

Wasn't meant as a knock at Gil at all, I was pretty surprised by the stat. I also think, for whatever reason, Sanchez seems to play better with Gil on the pitch.

I love a high pass completion ratio. 96% for Gil yesterday <3

Yep, just read it was 34 out 35 passes completed, the highest from anyone on the pitch.

Coupled with Gil having more touches than anyone else once he came on against Spurs last week, would suggest he's going to be such a vital player for us.

But the frustration was there even when we were getting results and playing well.

But players weren't performing well enough to justify Gil getting no gametime. Not in and out of the team, not coming on as sub or playing second fiddle. Almost NO gametime.

That's the point that you keep missing (I'm assuming deliberately now as it's been made about a thousand times).

The results barely matter.

We best west brom twice in a week, both with good performances and followed that up with a 4-0 destruction of Sunderland. And yet during that period there's pages in this thread with people saying he should have been playing or should have come on longer. I guess you've ignored those performances and results, because I'd love to know why players should have been dropped when winning 3 consecutive games.

We've gone over this a hundred times. Like I said, I assume you're ignoring the points I've made dozens and dozens of times.

So let's agree to disagree to save everyone the pain of reading the same shite again.

He's rightly in the team now, as he should have been all along. So happy days.

You may think you're finished with this conversation, but I predict . . .  

• Like 1

Yep, just read it was 34 out 35 passes completed, the highest from anyone on the pitch.

Coupled with Gil having more touches than anyone else once he came on against Spurs last week, would suggest he's going to be such a vital player for us.

Im pretty sure that the one pass he did give away to a city player he bolted after it and won it back.

Correct me if im wrong (like I have to ask on VT :P)

• Like 1

Im pretty sure that the one pass he did give away to a city player he bolted after it and won it back.

Correct me if im wrong (like I have to ask on VT :P)

I think I remember that actually. Was it not really early on in the game as well?

Â