Carles Gil

bose

I think there is an argument to say that he and Grealish arent great in the same side. I'm not sure how good an argument it is because they both played in our only decent 60 mins of the season against Leicester.

However neither is the quickest and it is useful to have pace creating space off them. Our problem is that the "pace" options Sinclair, Gabby, Ayew, Traore have not necessarily solved our problems either. There are plenty of games where the two have played together and we've looked pedestrian. Playing Rudy up top on his own in these games hasnt helped.

So I think Gil to a large extent has suffered because managers have seen it as him or Jack and Jack has won out because "he's one of us". Carles is showing now and to be honest for most of the season that he is the better player as things stand today and if anything we should be building the team around him.

Why do none of the press ever ask why he's not playing?

I did see an article a few weeks back listing him as the 5th most underused player in the league in terms of poistion/role played and amount of minutes. Don't think it was by a major media outlet though.

Gil is our major asset. Lets get this right were in trouble bigtime the facts are simple if remi garde does not see anything in gil and decides to not play him then our beloved villa is going down and will drop out as the bottom team. Im not saying if gil plays we stay up but with him in the side its our best shot.

Edited by villan501

Remember when people in this thread were using the fact that we lost all the games he featured in to justify Sherwood's dropping and that maybe he isn't that good? mjlol.png

Yeah but we stayed up in the end last year so it was definitely right to play N'Zogbia in place of Gil. Definitely.

All that mattered last year was staying up, we did that. I don't think anyone argued Nzogbia is better or that Gil guarantees relegation, but for that final period under Sherwood, performances and to some extent individual results weren't the main focus. It was staying up. 

This season we should have been aiming higher and no idea why Sherwood continued to not play Gil. He's clearly better than most at the moment and even in little spells shows more than anyone else we have currently.

I'd like to see two holding players in midfield and Gil with a free role in front of them. 

Or if we're not going to start Adama, play him on the right side of a front 3.

I'll be absolutely amazed if he's not a regular starter under Garde.

I did see an article a few weeks back listing him as the 5th most underused player in the league in terms of poistion/role played and amount of minutes. Don't think it was by a major media outlet though.

Yeah, I posted that on here actually. Was Football365.

The apparently amazing Gary Neville last night described him as 'jinky'. 

Basically, the media don't know enough to really analyse a teams state of affairs, well, at least those in the bottom half, as these teams aren't considered important enough. It's not much to ask that those who are paid several million pounds a year to sit on their arse in a Sky studio, to actually have in depth knowledge of every single team and squad in the premier league.

Sadly these morons aren't held to a high enough standard, and that's why punditry in this country is an absolute joke. It's pretty much exclusively former players making huge sums of money off of their names without bothering to do any leg work, and as a result, they offer absolutely zero insight into the game.  

I wasn't thinking pundits specifically, but in press conferences. Why are our managers (well...Sherwood) never questioned directly why they're not playing him is what I was thinking.

Remember when people in this thread were using the fact that we lost all the games he featured in to justify Sherwood's dropping and that maybe he isn't that good? mjlol.png

Yeah but we stayed up in the end last year so it was definitely right to play N'Zogbia in place of Gil. Definitely.

All that mattered last year was staying up, we did that. I don't think anyone argued Nzogbia is better or that Gil guarantees relegation, but for that final period under Sherwood, performances and to some extent individual results weren't the main focus. It was staying up. 

None of that counters the glaringly obvious point that Gil is far superior to N'Zogbia, and should have been playing. The performance of the team is pretty irrelevant to that point.

• Like 2

None of that counters the glaringly obvious point that Gil is far superior to N'Zogbia, and should have been playing. The performance of the team is pretty irrelevant to that point.

The performance of the team is what kept us up. It's a team not a bunch of individuals wearing the same shirt. Gil is superior but I don't think it's glaringly obvious. Nzogbia was pretty average but still had moments which helped keep us up and get to the cup final. Gil probably would have done better and we might have done better but that doesn't really matter. The end result was what we needed and wanted. Like I said, this season is different and its one of Sherwood's many failings after starting fresh. 

You've said Gil is better, and then said it doesn't matter.

It matters, because that's the point being made.

Nobody is arguing that we didn't play well enough to stay up. Us staying up proves that we did.

What people are arguing is that regardless of how well or not well the team did, N'Zogbia being in the team ahead of Gil is ridiculous.

I'd argue the difference is glaringly obvious. N'Zogbia is terrible.

• Like 2

But it doesn't matter. 11 good individuals could be beaten by a better team. If the end result is what was the goal required why is it an issue? If we win the next 3 games under Garde and he doesn't pick Gil is that a problem? 

It just seems pretty daft that your team achieve the goal set for them, but you're unhappy because they did it without a certain player.

But it doesn't matter. 11 good individuals could be beaten by a better team. If the end result is what was the goal required why is it an issue? If we win the next 3 games under Garde and he doesn't pick Gil is that a problem? 

It just seems pretty daft that your team achieve the goal set for them, but you're unhappy because they did it without a certain player.

I'm not unhappy. I just think Gil should have been in the team.

We've been down this road before, but by your logic, every decision made from Sherwood joining to the end of the season was correct. Every single thing. Because as far as your concerned the fact we stayed up proves a decision was right.

It doesn't. Some decisions were good, some were bad. Us staying up proves that we made enough good ones to achieve our goal. But it DOESN'T mean that those bad decisions aren't bad decisions. 
No, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. but we're not talking about the grand scheme of things. We're talking about whether Carles Gil should be, and should have been, in the team. And the answer is, quite obviously, yes.

I don't think I said it makes everything he does right, if I did word it that way I was wrong to do so. Your second paragraph I agree with, we achieved our goal so the odd mistake or wrong decision doesn't matter because let's face it, every single person makes the odd mistake. Achieving the goal set for you does justify those decisions though. People might not like them and can speculate it would have been better, but the cold hard fact is that those decisions achieved the one main goal. 

Talking about Gil in the team now is relevant and there's no doubt he should be in and I'm confident he will be. Still going on about last season when we stayed up seems absolutely pointless to me.

Edited by DCJonah

He has far more control of the football than anyone at the club.....He can keep possession better than most and he can pick players out, with our record of running off the ball that is no mean feat.

He is lightweight in presence, most players with that guile usually are, but that has to be accommodated due to the value of his overall effect on our game.

I understand why he has been left out....I just don't agree with it.

My overall view of the managers decisions over the past few years is they didn't know whether to stick or twist in their team selection and that has come about in the main from poor recruitment.

In my view players have been signed for many other reasons than fixing a problem area of the team.

All those years on here with us, the managers and the media saying we need a number 10.
Fair play to Lambert on this one he found one. A bloody good one too.
So we play him on the right or in midfield obviously. And then drop him in favour of Nzogbia etc etc etc.

Lunacy is what it is.

• Like 4

He is so standout in his ability compared to the rest of our squad.....Its tantamount to leaving out Messi.

There is always a chance of a goal, when he is on the pitch.

His omission by several managers has left me short of words to describe the work that allegedly goes on at BMH.

I am hoping Remi embarks on a complete intellectual overhaul of the thinking at BMH and brings us back to the days when the decisions that ate made are logical and well thought through.

When I watched Villa during the Ron Saunders days..... and Brian Little and John Gregory.....it was rare to disagree on the team selection, it usually made sense.

I still have grave worries of the balance of this squad so it is feasible to disagree due to that..... but some of the stuff, like leaving Gil out is ......little men in white coats stuff.

• Like 3

Â