Carles Gil

bose

Never argued differently. 

True, I suppose it was more directed at Antrim and some in the thread-that-shall-not-be-named who have this archaic view that they can understand and judge the game so well that quantifiable evidence could never contradict their truth.

Edited by a m ole

It's not pointless but like every other stat it can't just be the only thing. If someone passes the ball 2 yards and someone else shoots miles over from 40 yards is that a key pass? If someone lobs in an aimless high ball and our forward manages to get a slight touch on it, is that a key pass? 

Same with goals, same with assists, same with every single statistic going.

CARLES GIL is still our best player and, for me, the player most likely to create something in this team.

Yeah he probably is at the moment. 

He is very average. Ten years ago he would have been thought of alongside Sidwell in the 'what does he do' stakes.

Shows how far we have fallen when people are desperate to find something in an attacking player who neither scores goals or creates them...and his corners are just as shit as Westwood's, maybe even worse.

• Like 1

It's not pointless but like every other stat it can't just be the only thing. If someone passes the ball 2 yards and someone else shoots miles over from 40 yards is that a key pass? If someone lobs in an aimless high ball and our forward manages to get a slight touch on it, is that a key pass? 

Of course.

But people use assists as a valid stat and this is the same.

If Gil makes a 5 yard pass and Gana bangs it in from 40 yards, its an assist.

They can't be the only stat used of course. But its not useless

He is very average. Ten years ago he would have been thought of alongside Sidwell in the 'what does he do' stakes.

Shows how far we have fallen when people are desperate to find something in an attacking player who neither scores goals or creates them...and his corners are just as shit as Westwood's, maybe even worse.

I just don't see how you can come to this sort of conclusion. Whenever he has played for us, he has always put a shift in and is usually one of our better players. The only game I can think of when he had a shocker was against Stoke at home last season, and even then he wasn't as bad as people made him out to be.  

• Like 1

Whether Gil could get into other teams or whether he should be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Sidwell (:huh:) isn't really the point.

He's clearly one of our better players (if not the best) and should be starting each of our games in whichever position it mostly benefits him and the team (which is most likely more central, in that number ten role).

• Like 3

CARLES GIL is our best player.  It doesn't really matter about anything else - you set the team up to get the best out of Mr. Gil.

Since when has he become our best player?

Benteke aside, I'd say he became our best player the moment he signed. 

With the possible exception of Grealish, he's got more ability in his weak foot than the rest of the squad put together. 

I agree skill wise he's up there but I think Grealish gets involved more. 

Really hope this is just a troll...

CARLES GIL is our best player.  It doesn't really matter about anything else - you set the team up to get the best out of Mr. Gil.

Since when has he become our best player?

Benteke aside, I'd say he became our best player the moment he signed. 

With the possible exception of Grealish, he's got more ability in his weak foot than the rest of the squad put together. 

I agree skill wise he's up there but I think Grealish gets involved more. 

Gil's a better player period! Baker used to get involved, but was no where near a premiership player.

Never argued differently. 

True, I suppose it was more directed at Antrim and some in the thread-that-shall-not-be-named who have this archaic view that they can understand and judge the game so well that quantifiable evidence could never contradict their truth.

Oi you - that hurts.

And I would never claim to be able to understand the game particularly well, but what I see forms my opinion of the player. And of course stats are useful, I just think they are given too much importance by posters and are bandied about to prove the worth or otherwise of a player. I also suspect that posters quoting stats actually do base their opinions on what they see, not the stats they quote. 

The only important stat is goals scored. Seriously, who gives a shit about `key passes' that lead to unsuccessful goal attempts.

As a supporter I judge a player's performance by what I see. Stats may be a useful aid for club management, but they really do not give a full picture of a player's performance and ability. 

Anyone with half a brain to be honest. You can't score goals if you don't create chances. This isn't particularly complicated.

We haven't seen the his best as he's in and out of the team constantly. Give him a run of games. 

If we haven't seen him at his best, and he barely played for Valencia then how is he our best player? 

because Tim doesnt play him, him and Kozak are hidden superstars :P

• Like 1

Agreed. Some stats are too open to interpretation to be used conclusively, this is one.

That's why I like to watch players and see how good they are. Gil is very good. Compared to most of our team, he's absolutely brilliant.

Do you want N'Zogbia back in the team yet?

Edited by Tomaszk

Â