Carles Gil

bose

For me it's clearly in the middle.

He obviously wasn't badly enough injured to not be involved for the rest of the season, as he was in full training for about 4 weeks.

But there clearly was an injury initially.

First injury. Then out of favour.

It can be a combination of both you know.

You honestly believe he was out for 6 weeks with a dead leg? When he was clearly training?

Could you please link to a report where it states that he was simply suffering from a dead leg? You didn't even realise he was injured until a couple of weeks ago, and now even that's a lie to enhance your anti-Sherwood position.

Hahahahahaahahaha please show me where I have said that I am anti-sherwood. Absolute nonsense and you know it.

You said you were 100% against the appointment and that you didn't want someone with his ego at the club. That seems pretty anti-sherwood. The fact you seem to jump at any opportunity to criticise or make up a reason to have a moan about him seems to link back to how much you didn't want him to become our manager.

Haha ok.

You have a real problem with people changing their mind. If they make a statement, that's their opinion forever and they can't change it. The 'gil sherwood' comment you constantly bring up is clear proof of this.

Sherwood did a fantastic job keeping us up. I've said that multiple times. Far more times than I've expressed doubts about him. I'll even find my posts for you because you conveniently omit any positive comments that I've said about Sherwood (of which there are more) when you use your flawless memory remembering posts.

But no, I'm not allowed to change my mind and my opinion is totally set in stone forever.

I've seen you say positive things but you asked to be shown where you were anti-sherwood. And quite clearly, just before he was appointed, you were 100% anti-sherwood.

I'm glad you've changed your opinion now. Well done.

Gil was part of every squad up to and including the Man U game on 4 April.  He was then injured playing for the U21s on 6 April, and didn't feature from then until the end of the season, at which point he was confirmed as still being injured.

In the 6 games he was on the bench before being injured, we won 3, drew 1 and lost 2, scoring 9 goals.  In the next 6 games while he was out, we scored 12 goals and won 4 games.

So this whole consipracy can be summed up as "promising young player is on the bench until getting injured, then gets injured, during which time the rest of the team pick up enough points to stay up and get to the FA Cup final".  It's ridiculous.

Your timeline is factually incorrect in one way, and missing some key context in another. Let me give the exact timeline:

15th Feb - Sherwood joins at half-time in the Leicester cup game. 

21st Feb - Gil starts against Stoke

28th Feb - 3rd Mar - Gil, having been dropped, is an unused substitute against Newcastle and WBA

7th Mar - Gil makes a one-minute sub appearance against WBA

14th Mar - 4th Apr - Gil is an unused sub against Sunderland, Swansea and Man Utd. NOTE: In the game against Man Utd, when we were losing, N'Zogbia was withdrawn and replaced by Baker. That shows how out of favour Gil was, which may have led to:

7th Apr - Gil doesn't make the 18 against QPR. NOTE: This is one day before the reserve game against Wolves, so he was clearly dropped at this point. 

8th Apr - Gil features against Wolves in an U21 match, 'looking lively' according to the OS before picking up a knock. 

11th Apr - Gil nowhere to be seen. 

19th Apr - Oh what's this, looky here, Gil makes the bench in the FA Cup Semi-Final, definitely recall him warming-up on crutches though.

Onwards - Gil doesn't feature. 

24th May - more than one month after making the bench in the semi-final, and despite having been pictured in full-training numerous times, Sherwood says Gil is injured. 

Now, maybe, sometime after recovering from his Wolves U21 injury and making the bench in the FA Cup on the one hand, and the Burnley game on the other, he picked up an injury, sure. But it remains true to say that he was pictured training, that Sherwood never said he was injured in that time in his presser, and that he never featured as injured on physioroom. In other words, you're guessing what happened, which is exactly what I said. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

Gil was part of every squad up to and including the Man U game on 4 April.  He was then injured playing for the U21s on 6 April, and didn't feature from then until the end of the season, at which point he was confirmed as still being injured.

In the 6 games he was on the bench before being injured, we won 3, drew 1 and lost 2, scoring 9 goals.  In the next 6 games while he was out, we scored 12 goals and won 4 games.

So this whole consipracy can be summed up as "promising young player is on the bench until getting injured, then gets injured, during which time the rest of the team pick up enough points to stay up and get to the FA Cup final".  It's ridiculous.

Your timeline is factually incorrect in one way, and missing some key context in another. Let me give the exact timeline:

28th Feb - 3rd Mar - Gil, having been dropped, is an unused substitute against Newcastle and WBA

14th Mar - 4th Apr - Gil is an unused sub against Sunderland, Swansea and Man Utd. NOTE: In the game against Man Utd, when we were losing, N'Zogbia was withdrawn and replaced by Baker. That shows how out of favour Gil was, which may have led to:

7th Apr - Gil doesn't make the 18 against QPR. NOTE: This is one day before the reserve game against Wolves, so he was clearly dropped at this point. 

8th Apr - Gil features against Wolves in an U21 match, 'looking lively' according to the OS before picking up a knock. 

19th Apr - Oh what's this, looky here, Gil makes the bench in the FA Cup Semi-Final, definitely recall him warming-up on crutches though.

24th May - more than one month after making the bench in the semi-final, and despite having been pictured in full-training numerous times, Sherwood says Gil is injured. 

Now, maybe, sometime after recovering from his Wolves U21 injury and making the bench in the FA Cup on the one hand, and the Burnley game on the other, he picked up an injury, sure. But it remains true to say that he was pictured training, that Sherwood never said he was injured in that time in his presser, and that he never featured as injured on physioroom. In other words, you're guessing what happened, which is exactly what I said. 

Sorry to piss on your entire bonfire, but the Wolves game was on the 6 April  BEFORE the QPR game.

Crazy thought. What if Gill was signed by Lambert to come in and be a star player at a premier league club. A few weeks later, Lambert is gone and the new manager has told him he needs to fight for his place and prove his worth. Gill thinks this isn't what I signed up for, doesn't try hard in training, doesn't want rush to be 100% recovered from an injury and informs the club he'd like to leave.

Or are we only allowed to make up crazy theories if they're to have a pop at Sherwood?

"Sherwood doesn't favour Gil" - what a crazy conspiracy theory that's totally not just a logical assumption to make of a situation in which Gil is indefinitely dropped from the team upon Sherwood's arrival.

Yes, this would appear to be the most likes reason. Still doesn't answer why he doesn't fancy him though, which has led many to question Sherwood as a manager. If this is the case then it does make Sherwood appear extremely archaic IMO.

Sorry to piss on your entire bonfire, but the Wolves game was on the 6 April  BEFORE the QPR game.

You're right, so it was!

Doesn't really piss on that much though, does it? I mean, he wasn't going to play for the U21's against Wolves on one night and then against QPR for the first team the next, so it's absolutely safe to say he wouldn't have featured no matter what. 

And you've still got his bench appearance in the FA Cup to account for. 

Crazy thought. What if Gill was signed by Lambert to come in and be a star player at a premier league club. A few weeks later, Lambert is gone and the new manager has told him he needs to fight for his place and prove his worth. Gill thinks this isn't what I signed up for, doesn't try hard in training, doesn't want rush to be 100% recovered from an injury and informs the club he'd like to leave.

Or are we only allowed to make up crazy theories if they're to have a pop at Sherwood?

"Sherwood doesn't favour Gil" - what a crazy conspiracy theory that's totally not just a logical assumption to make of a situation in which Gil is indefinitely dropped from the team upon Sherwood's arrival.

No that's a sensible idea and may well be true. But there were people who made suggestions that it was because of Sherwood's ego, or that he targeted a new foreign player to make a point, or that Sherwood's ego wouldn't allow him to survive using a player lambert just signed. That's more the crazy conspiracy theory to have a pop at Sherwood I was on about.

It seems obvious now that Sherwood was just wildly jealous of Gil. He recognised that Gil was single-handedly turning round Villa's season, having played a superb role in 4 straight defeats - what more could you ask of a star player? - and scored a goal against Bournemouth's 2nd XI.

He obviously selected Gil to start against Stoke - a match we were programmed to lose from the word "go" - and then used that as an excuse to drop him, not wanting to admit that Paul Lambert could have signed such a superb player.

I think Sherwood should be sacked for this alone.

Edited by briny_ear

I see a lot in Gil technically to admire but he is still adjusting to life in England and the more physically demanding style of play in the PL.

Hopefully he settles well over the summer break and can be useful to us next season.

Has this been resolved yet?

We'll just have to wait and see, we're all analysts of the game but I expect others share my belief that Gil would've been useful in situations just behind the striker, Gabby isn't technically gifted enough in this position and as yet Grealish hasn't developed his shooting.

I expect Sherwood recognises that and after a summer of contemplation hopefully Gil comes back mentally stronger and Sherwood hasn't replaced him. The comment about icing on the cake players still makes me believe Gil has a future, then comments about players not being good enough inspires me too.

Sherwood played and managed some technically gifted players but he recongises a team effort with strong mentality wins you more games, Gil isn't a world beater but he's clearly one of the best and aware ball dribblers at our club, I don't think many managers would let those sorts of players go without making sure they're not going to make it, as yet Gil hasn't been given that shot.

On my current FM game, I'm the manager of famous Dutch side VVV Venlo...

...anyhow, I played Valencia in a Champions League qualifier and Carles Gil came off the bench for them to score an equaliser.

Therefore, he needs to start really.

• Like 2

Â