Carles Gil

bose

Total waste, a quality player who would make a big difference. Nice one Tim!

He didn't make much of a difference when he was playing, as we lost every single league match he played in.*

*Please note: under no circumstances am I saying that that us losing those matches was purely down to Gil, but it cannot be said he made "a big difference" as in the 6 league games he played, we scored two goals.

Best player on the pitch when he came on against Liverpool, giving us much needed cutting edge and nearly contributed to us scoring by creating chances and openings for us, plus an excellent assist against Chelsea. Yeah, didn't make much of a difference at all did he?
Not really, we still lost.

The fact that he assisted a goal with a brilliant cross which finally ended our hideous Baron run in front of goal was more then enough contribution for me to know that given a run in the team, he would be quality.

Anyone been watching 'the Football Mavericks'? We really do have an almost pathological mistrust of so-called 'luxury players' in this country.

It's not that we don't ever produce these types of player. We just ask them to play with a broomstick up their arse.

• Like 4

He didn't make much of a difference when he was playing, as we lost every single league match he played in.*

*Please note: under no circumstances am I saying that that us losing those matches was purely down to Gil, but it cannot be said he made "a big difference" as in the 6 league games he played, we scored two goals.

Best player on the pitch when he came on against Liverpool, giving us much needed cutting edge and nearly contributed to us scoring by creating chances and openings for us, plus an excellent assist against Chelsea. Yeah, didn't make much of a difference at all did he?

Yes Tim whatever you say Tim!

So say he scores a hatrick against Chelsea and we lose 4-3, he was shite yeah.

• Like 1

Matt Jarvis!!! Matt Fekkin Jarvis!!!!! No this cannot be!!!!!

Didn't Houllier once try to sign him as a replacement for Ash?
Thought it is was McLeish to replace downing but you may be right Edited by mikeyp102

I can't work this one out, okay Jack has been playing well but at his age he will probably be hot and cold so having Gil who looked really promising to me is a no brainer imo.

It's not really Jack's place he is competing for though, it's N'Zogbia's. I bet he feels a right plank for wasting 6 months sat around doing nothing in Birmingham when he could have been fighting for a place in Valencia. But in Tim we trust etc.

Hmmm but wasn't it Grealish that was brought into the team and Gil dropped?

I'm not arguing though as I believe even at 50 I could do a better job than CNZ for the team so Gil must be really gutted.

If he goes and we end up with some lower league player in his place then I give up.

Dullard reasoning.

What's "dullard reasoning" in my opinion, is all this whining about a player who has played in 5 league games, (only 3 of which were for 90 minutes) and who was utterly crap in two of them.  Especially as it's used as a stick to beat a manager who did the seemingly impossible and kept us up when it looked like we were dead and buried.

• Like 4

Dullard reasoning.

What's "dullard reasoning" in my opinion, is all this whining about a player who has played in 5 league games, (only 3 of which were for 90 minutes) and who was utterly crap in two of them.  Especially as it's used as a stick to beat a manager who did the seemingly impossible and kept us up when it looked like we were dead and buried.

utterly crap is an overstatement

even when Gil was crap he was not more crap than the rest of the players, plus he was new to this country and league.

i'm not saying he did enough to be branded the saviour of Villa but equally he didn't do enough to be branded crap then written off and sold.

but it doesn't take a genius to note that he was able to keep the ball and dribble past people with ease, the only dribbling any of the other players do (Grealish aside) is when they go to a strip club with John Carew.

• Like 3

Newsflash - Gil hasn't been written off, or sold, and lest we forget, was injured for a period as well.  And no, Gil was utterly crap against Hull and Stoke.  No overstatement.

• Like 1

He's the reason we at least competed in some of those games though. Especially against Chelsea.

• Like 1

Exactly. We still lost. Now with Tim and no Gil, we won a whole lot more. If anything Sherwood 'made the big difference'. With Gil there was no 'big difference' being made. There was a little more creativity but not a 'big difference' at all as we only scored 2 in 5 matches. If we had to look at a player who made the 'big difference', it was Grealish whose pace and running started opening thing up. Now of course Gil can still be useful, but he is not as important a difference maker as Grealish, Benteke, Delph or even Bacuna.

goals in 5 matches. Without Gil

Edited by isaid

Dullard reasoning.

Surely there's a reasoning behind "all this whining" then?

It's bizarre he's been completely discarded - which isn't a stick to beat a manager with, it's just true.

Exactly. We still lost. Now with Tim and no Gil, we won a whole lot more. If anything Sherwood 'made the big difference'. With Gil there was no 'big difference' being made. There was a little more creativity but not a 'big difference' at all as we only scored 2 in 5 matches. If we had to look at a player who made the 'big difference', it was Grealish whose pace and running started opening thing up. Now of course Gil can still be useful, but he is not as important a difference maker as Grealish, Benteke, Delph or even Bacuna.

goals in 5 matches. Without Gil

from what I remeber from Gil he played well in 2 games and was totally shite in 2 games. We were certainly better without him when Sherwood took over.......

• Like 1

He's the reason we at least competed in some of those games though. Especially against Chelsea.

And we competed in ALL of the games we played without him, except of course for Southampton away and the FA Cup final.  Again, that's not blaiming Gil for anything, just a statement of fact that Sherwood used the squad as he saw fit to keep us up, and it worked.

• Like 2

Gil was part of every squad up to and including the Man U game on 4 April.  He was then injured playing for the U21s on 6 April, and didn't feature from then until the end of the season, at which point he was confirmed as still being injured.

In the 6 games he was on the bench before being injured, we won 3, drew 1 and lost 2, scoring 9 goals.  In the next 6 games while he was out, we scored 12 goals and won 4 games.

So this whole consipracy can be summed up as "promising young player is on the bench until getting injured, then gets injured, during which time the rest of the team pick up enough points to stay up and get to the FA Cup final".  It's ridiculous.

• Like 2

Â