Carles Gil

bose

If losing Gil means the re - birth of Gary Gardener then that will certainly soften the blow .

but they play different roles?

Exactly, but this is Villa, too many fans (not singling you out Villanous) think midfield means midfield, forward means winger and full back means wing back; football has moved on yet over the last five years we haven't actually had a manager who has recognised that.

Gardner might like to move forward but he's not talented enough to play the hole role, in the same respect pushing Gil back wouldn't win us many tackles.

Given the positivity around him when Gil broke into the team I would be seriously surprised if we have already seen the last of him.

Gil looked like he would possibly be a really big player for us around late Jan/early Feb.

Sherwood is no fool, he knows we can't afford to turn our back on talented players. I think this is a conversation really for late this year when Gil's had pre season and the early part of the new campaign to make a bit of impact. If it has just rumbled on like this with no progress all the way up to January then fair enough get rid, but this summer is premature. 

I think Gil will be a pretty big player for us next season as Grealish continues to develop and Sinclair tries to hold down a place. 

Given the positivity around him when Gil broke into the team I would be seriously surprised if we have already seen the last of him.

Gil looked like he would possibly be a really big player for us around late Jan/early Feb.

Sherwood is no fool, he knows we can't afford to turn our back on talented players. I think this is a conversation really for late this year when Gil's had pre season and the early part of the new campaign to make a bit of impact. If it has just rumbled on like this with no progress all the way up to January then fair enough get rid, but this summer is premature. 

I think Gil will be a pretty big player for us next season as Grealish continues to develop and Sinclair tries to hold down a place. 

Playing N'Zogbia??

Playing N'Zogbia??

Lol I must be in a minority but I thought N'Zogbia did ok in the run in. He'd lost it completely by the Soton, Burnley and Arsenal games but hadn't everybody?

During the 'golden' period of the season versus Spurs, Liverpool semi, Everton and West Ham I thought he did well in there with Grealish.  

Edited by DamsonwoodVillan
  • Like 3

Playing N'Zogbia??

Lol I must be in a minority but I thought N'Zogbia did ok in the run in. He'd lost it completely by the Soton, Burnley and Arsenal games but hadn't everybody?

During the 'golden' period of the season versus Spurs, Liverpool semi, Everton and West Ham I thought he did well in there with Grealish.

I agree. He was excellent when Sherwood first came in, really upped his game along with Benteke, Gabby, Delph, Grealish and Cleverley and was at least as good as all of them in the run in. Still think we should sell but I firmly believe he contributed a hell of a lot more than many people will give him credit for, he deserved a few goals in those games

The amount of games.Nzogbia played in.. What did he do? One or two assists no goals? I'm sure Gil would have matched that. He played 5 games and scored 1 and assisted one.. Didn't even start that many.

Granted he had one bad game.. I rewatched the hull game and he wasn't.that bad. Stoke he was terrible but was in an odd formation out wide in that match. Would have loved to see Sherwood throw him in the two number 10s position in place of nzogbia and next to Grealish. It seems to me that sherwood doesn't see him as a number 10 and only as a wide player who he doesn't need.

I personally think he is a better number 10 than a winger. He doesn't have the pace out wide. Although he has a fantastic delivery and set piece. I'm still holding on to the smallest of hopes that Sherwood will give him more time.

I always felt his lack of English was perhaps the delimited factor for why he didn't get any playing time, he also seems quite a timid character, at a time when Sherwood was obviously trying to reshape the playing style and motivate the team as a unit it would make sense why he was left on the outer.

I hope and pray he gets a chance during the pre season to make an impression and / or Sherwood take more risks r.e. player selection next season, would be a real shame to see him leave, and I reckon we'd be extremely lucky to find somebody with similar skill / potential for similar money money.

I'd prefer to see him given a chance over Z'nogbia every day of the week.....

Playing N'Zogbia??

I agree. He was excellent when Sherwood first came in, really upped his game along with Benteke, Gabby, Delph, Grealish and Cleverley and was at least as good as all of them in the run in. Still think we should sell but I firmly believe he contributed a hell of a lot more than many people will give him credit for, he deserved a few goals in those games

Excellent? At being what? Mediocre? Because his best form as you guys mentioned was merely not being shit. After his form had gone he was back to being utter tripe as our last trio of games showed. In the games preceding that what did this "excellent" player do? A few decent close shots I would guess.

If Sherwood wanted to play his double No. 10 formation then surely Gil would have been quite the perfect player for one of those two and not a player that does nothing.

With the exception of Sunderland away, N'Zogbia was average at best for those games and would not receive any plaudits if it wasn't for the rest of the team playing well, IMO.

Does Gil track back? Does Gil know the importance of a relegation run in and what is expected? Is Gil fully settled in the league?

Sometimes its better the devil you know.

And once again, i ask, other than Bournemouths Reserves wonder goal..what else has he done to merit a starting place?

• Like 1

Â