January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

West brom getting Cole and fletcher......we really need a striker!

Would have took Fletcher, but Carlton Cole is one of the worst players I've ever seen in a Villa shirt. 

However, he has looked better for every other team he's played for - by no means the first time that has happened!

Edited by briny_ear

Rickie would be an idiot to block this move. He will spend the next two years on the bench for Liverpool, when he could be a regular with Villa. Screw him if he prefers the former.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 3

West brom getting Cole and fletcher......we really need a striker!

Would have took Fletcher, but Carlton Cole is one of the worst players I've ever seen in a Villa shirt. 

However, he has looked better for every other team he's played for - by no means the first time that has happened!

It would have took some going to look worse!

Rickie would be an idiot to block this move. He will spend the next two years on the bench for Liverpool, when he could be a regular with Villa. Screw him if he prefers the former.

no doubt with woy and his brown nosing to liverpool he'll still be a regular but that should be him done for england, i dont blame the bloke for picking his boyhood club over us but i thought he might pick playing every week and trying for the england squad

• Like 1

He's two and a bit months younger than Joe Cole. I reckon he's got two season left in him, this one and one more. So that's about 18 months. For which we'll pay maybe £8-9m including the fee. That's half a million a month - or £120k a week. I'd take him on a free, but financially this is an appalling signing.

Entirely true. However we paid £24m for Bent and he paid for himself by keeping us up. If we stay up £8m is a no brainer.
In my opinion Bent is the worst signing in the clubs history. I don't want us to repeat that at any level.
It is easy to say Bent kept us up but if we'd paid £8m for a player like Benteke (as in a young player proven in a smaller foreign league) we would have likely stayed up and not given Bent near £10m for sitting on the bench. It was really awful business looking back.

However... I think Lambert would be on less wages, hopefully a short contract and no where near the fee. I don't think it would be too bad and I think a reason it hasn't happened sooner is we're making sure it is a financially sound transfer.

Maybe.

It's easy to say because he did.

I am totally not saying it was the best way to spend the money, I think Bent was an unmitigated disaster long term. short term he was gold.

Right now we need some short term solutions to our goal scoring problem.

Yeah I'm agreeing with you, I mean we could have for a lot cheaper back then. If Lambert was 33 and around for £5m back then he could have scored the goals to keep us up as well but for a lot less.

• Like 1

not saying he's a bad player but it does smack of utter desperation, the fact it is so unlikely also does scream out 'why have we again left it so late...... to again fail to sign anyone on deadline day.'

appreciate that Gil and Sinclair has been good business, but how many January transfer deadline days do we have to sit through like this? Is this another record Lambert is going for, most players not signed on deadline day?

Edited by VillanousOne

As I said earlier...if we have 5m we should have got Defoe. And if Lambert prefers to stay on the bench at Liverpool he is not the type of charcter we need at the club IMO!

We'd never have got Defoe. They paid cash + Altidore, who the Americans love for some reason, despite his appalling record in England. Edited by benireduk