January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

(and yeah - the lump was a little bit harsh, but I don't think we should pretend he's the second coming of George Weah either!)

Nobody is doing that OBE. For me though he would go straight into the side over Benteke, he is in utterly dreadful form right now and it is really damaging to us having him as a focal point. We're bad enough without the ball bouncing straight off him and straight to the opposition ever time we do hit him with it. 

James Nursey @JamesNursey  ·  2m 2 minutes ago

#AVFC definitely having a serious crack to get Rickie Lambert. A few glimmers they could get him but has to still be long shot

Confirmation it is a legit link then. 

Come on Villa...

based on what? nursey has shown again today that he knows slightly more than the rest of us but still pretty much **** all, declared twice today that no more deals would happen, now flirting round this rather than putting his cock on the block, he's the same as the rest of them

1.  dvi retweeted

Rickie Lambert won't be joining Aston Villa. He's told Liverpool he wants to stay.

0 replies .59 retweets24 favourites
     Retweet59
     Favourite24
    More
  2.  dvi retweeted

Rickie Lambert will definitely be staying at #LFC tonight. No move to Villa.

0 replies .70 retweets26 favourites
     Retweet70
     Favourite26
    More

Wait for it. Rickie Lambert has advanced from 'unlikely' to 'maybe' #avfc #lfc

All tweeted at the same time :D

Edited by Cliffy Biro

Just read the "lump" comments, and for my money that's as lazy as the Holt comparisons.

Lambert has very good feet, is strong, good in the air BUT he can also drop off and play someone in. He has good vision and can create a bit. He could be a very good foil for Benteke IMO. Especially now we have Gil and Sinclair.

How would you work that though, Gil can't play as a winger, he'd need to play in behind them - we could put him out on the right but we'd have no width then, in a midfield four with Sanchez and Delph, Sinclair would end up needing to do a lot of defensive work and that's what he's not so good at. I think it has to be either or with a midfield five if we're to get the best out of both Gil and Sinclair (or Weimann or Agbonlahor for that matter). - or you could maybe put Delph out left, Gil at the point of a diamond and Sanchez deep, with either Bacuna or N'Zogbia down the right - with Sinclair dropped.

I think that Lambert and Benteke could play up front in a 4-4-2 - but it'd need to be in a squad which has natural wide midfielders - we don't have that.

(and yeah - the lump was a little bit harsh, but I don't think we should pretend he's the second coming of George Weah either!)

I see your point eah, it would be a good prblem to have though :)

One option is to go 4-3-1-2, with Sinclair on the bench and Gil behind them two. Midfield of Sanchez, Delph and Westwood. It's narrow, so P Lambet might play it ;)

Alternatively you go with 3-5-2, One holding from Sanchez, Delph and Westwood, Gil and Sinclair in front of them...

He's two and a bit months younger than Joe Cole. I reckon he's got two season left in him, this one and one more. So that's about 18 months. For which we'll pay maybe £8-9m including the fee. That's half a million a month - or £120k a week. I'd take him on a free, but financially this is an appalling signing.

Entirely true. However we paid £24m for Bent and he paid for himself by keeping us up. If we stay up £8m is a no brainer.

In my opinion Bent is the worst signing in the clubs history. I don't want us to repeat that at any level.

It is easy to say Bent kept us up but if we'd paid £8m for a player like Benteke (as in a young player proven in a smaller foreign league) we would have likely stayed up and not given Bent near £10m for sitting on the bench. It was really awful business looking back.

However... I think Lambert would be on less wages, hopefully a short contract and no where near the fee. I don't think it would be too bad and I think a reason it hasn't happened sooner is we're making sure it is a financially sound transfer.

Maybe.

Well done Rickie. Stay at your childhood sweetheart club where you don't get a sniff. Now that another striker has come back from injury I'm sure you'll have loads of opportunities.

He wont start a single game for the rest of the year and end up in the championship next year.

I appreciate he'd probably do that with us too.