Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

"The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it, you think it's real, because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round and it has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud. And it's fun, for a while."

I've looked at the remaining fixtures of QPR, Sunderland, Burnley, Leicester and Hull. I can see Leicester finishing on around 29 points, Hull on 32 and then Burnley, QPR and Sunderland all on 33 points. We need to get to 34 points and I think we'll have done enough. 3 wins, 3 draws and 6 defeats isn't too much to ask is it? or, 4 wins and 8 defeats? I am convinced that if we get to 34 points we will be OK. However, I would prefer us to get to it by beating WBA, Sunderland, QPR and Burnley as that will have a negative effect on their survival chances.

"The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it, you think it's real, because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round and it has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud. And it's fun, for a while."

is that you Foxy ?

I've looked at the remaining fixtures of QPR, Sunderland, Burnley, Leicester and Hull. I can see Leicester finishing on around 29 points, Hull on 32 and then Burnley, QPR and Sunderland all on 33 points. We need to get to 34 points and I think we'll have done enough. 3 wins, 3 draws and 6 defeats isn't too much to ask is it? or, 4 wins and 8 defeats? I am convinced that if we get to 34 points we will be OK. However, I would prefer us to get to it by beating WBA, Sunderland, QPR and Burnley as that will have a negative effect on their survival chances.

I very much agree that 34 points probably will be enough to stay up this year. The last part of your post makes sense, but would leave the decider until the last day of the season, which would be hard to stomach...

I just don't see any leaders on the pitch who will dig out results. Real lack of characters in the squad who inspire confidence and demand more from their team mates . Coquelin came back to Arsenal from a loan at Chartlon and was screaming orders at World Cup winners. Would love to see some of that passion.

• Like 1

Just to shine a ray of hope into this thread, after 26 games last season villa were 13th on 28 points, Sunderland were 3rd bottom on 24. Sunderland finished above us in the end

There's always a team that starts picking up points when all looks lost (Sunderland last season a prime example), lets hope its our turn this season

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 1

Just to shine a ray of hope into this thread, after 26 games last season villa were 13th on 28 points, Sunderland were 3rd bottom on 24. Sunderland finished above us in the end

There's always a team that starts picking up points when all looks lost (Sunderland last season a prime example), lets hope its our turn this season

Thank you for that, count me amongst those who had forgotten that there is still almost a third of the season still left to play.

We're not down. It's just not looking too good right now. 

• Like 4

Yes this was the one thread of hope that I am clinging to in my brief moments of hope, before the pessimist in me kicks in. I am hoping we have bottomed out in terms of badness, and hopefully the players can galvanise themselves and produce a decent end to the season under Sherwood. Although we have been so bad for so long, that I am not sure the players have it in them?

Edited by NeilS

For me, they're all must win games - however priority should be

West Brom (H)

Sunderland (A)

Swansea (H)

QPR (H)

Burnley (H)

that would give us an extra 15 points - if we can then pick up a point at Newcastle and home to Everton and West Ham that would bring in a total of 18pts and the 40 point mark in the league.

Anything from the Utd, Citeh, Spudzzz and Soton games would be a megabonus

Simple as that  :wacko:

We're not cut adrift by any means and it is achievable with a bit of luck and hard graft.

• Like 1

Yes this was the one thread of hope that I am clinging to in my brief moments of hope, before the pessimist in me kicks in. I am hoping we have bottomed out in terms of badness, and hopefully the players can galvanise themselves and produce a decent end to the season under Sherwood. Although we have been so bad for so long, that I am not sure the players have it in them?

That is exactly what I have alluded to in the Sherwood thread. I think there is a certain amount of quality there and I think they are trying, but I think not only is their confidence absolutely shot to shit (much worse than we thought IMO) but they've just taken another blow with it. I think their heads are gone, I'm worried they might just start subconsciously going through the motions, if they are not already. 

We will know more come 5pm next Saturday.

• Like 1

That is exactly what I have alluded to in the Sherwood thread. I think there is a certain amount of quality there and I think they are trying, but I think not only is their confidence absolutely shot to shit (much worse than we thought IMO) but they've just taken another blow with it. I think their heads are gone, I'm worried they might just start subconsciously going through the motions, if they are not already. 

Time to bring in Steve Peters. I don't know if Villa already have a psychologist on retainer, but how could it hurt -- and it could help!

I think we'll be fine, mainly because, as always, there are 3 teams in this league that are worse than us. That's all we need until everything off the field is sorted out.

OK, so we only need to be the fourth worst team in the premier league until "everything off the field is sorted out"

Nothing is being "sorted out" at present as far as anyone can tell and the longer we are so poor on the field, the bigger the problems become concerning the squad, its playing style, and the club's attractiveness to a bidder.

It is a false idea that we can get by scraping enough points to avoid relegation each season until a magic wand is waved and all our problems are solved both on and off the pitch. We are sinking deeper into the mire with each mediocre game that is played.

Its not a false idea at all. Getting by IS scraping enough points to avoid relegation each season. I also didn't say, and I don't think, anything is being sorted out off the pitch, or that everything will be fixed in an instant.

What I am saying is I think we have enough to stay up. I think Burnley, Sunderland, Hull and Leicester are worse than us and it helps that 2 of those teams have managers who are just as bad if not worse than Lambert.

We cannot progress, we cannot seem to improve our position in the league, without new ownership to take us in a different direction. Or for the current owner to find his passion for the club again and open his chequebook. Which is a massive shame because I can't see either happening.

I Hope this doesn't seem like I'm attacking you cos Im not, I just wanted to clarify what I was saying as I didn't put it across right

I think them being mentally shot started waaay before xmas and cost Lambert his job, he couldn't find a way to do what he had done in the previous seasons when he did manage to save us. 

Now it's Sherwood's turn to try, you can see why that maybe the players didn't respond to Lambert as it was the umpteenth crisis and he'd probably run out of rabbits to pull out of the hat. Sherwood SHOULD have an advantage there as anything he says to these players should be fresh. It looks like a big ask though, if all the feelgood factor got knocked out of them by that header before half time, they are a very fragile group...

• Like 1

Burnley at home last day of the season. Would anyone take needing 3 points in that game to stay? I think I would.

Don't think we'd have it in us to beat them in a do or death scenario.

Burnley have massively improved away from home in the last few months and can score goals so that could hurt us on the counter attack.

Probably now I'd sign right up to the last day scenario where we need a draw to stay up, I reckon we'd manage that. Or a scenario where we're a point clear of Sunderland and WBA. Sunderland are away to Chelsea on the last day and WBA away to Arsenal so we could feasibly lose and stay up.

I think we'll be fine, mainly because, as always, there are 3 teams in this league that are worse than us. That's all we need until everything off the field is sorted out.

OK, so we only need to be the fourth worst team in the premier league until "everything off the field is sorted out"

Nothing is being "sorted out" at present as far as anyone can tell and the longer we are so poor on the field, the bigger the problems become concerning the squad, its playing style, and the club's attractiveness to a bidder.

It is a false idea that we can get by scraping enough points to avoid relegation each season until a magic wand is waved and all our problems are solved both on and off the pitch. We are sinking deeper into the mire with each mediocre game that is played.

Its not a false idea at all. Getting by IS scraping enough points to avoid relegation each season. I also didn't say, and I don't think, anything is being sorted out off the pitch, or that everything will be fixed in an instant.

What I am saying is I think we have enough to stay up. I think Burnley, Sunderland, Hull and Leicester are worse than us and it helps that 2 of those teams have managers who are just as bad if not worse than Lambert.

We cannot progress, we cannot seem to improve our position in the league, without new ownership to take us in a different direction. Or for the current owner to find his passion for the club again and open his chequebook. Which is a massive shame because I can't see either happening.

I Hope this doesn't seem like I'm attacking you cos Im not, I just wanted to clarify what I was saying as I didn't put it across right

I don't take it as an attack but I ought to point out now that your argument that there are three teams in the premier league that are worse than us looks a bit shaky right now.

I think them being mentally shot started waaay before xmas and cost Lambert his job, he couldn't find a way to do what he had done in the previous seasons when he did manage to save us. 

Now it's Sherwood's turn to try, you can see why that maybe the players didn't respond to Lambert as it was the umpteenth crisis and he'd probably run out of rabbits to pull out of the hat. Sherwood SHOULD have an advantage there as anything he says to these players should be fresh. It looks like a big ask though, if all the feelgood factor got knocked out of them by that header before half time, they are a very fragile group...

I think that the goal before half time rocked them but had they "escaped" with a point then the feelgood factor would have carried over. The 92nd minute penalty on the other hand, who knows. Fragile or not, that is one hell of a blow.