Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

Nevermind Leicester if we don't do the business ourselves then we're relegated. Still 12 games to go so a long way, really. I'm not as certain as I was about relegation as I was after the game yesterday.

• Like 1

The worrying thing is that we're letting all of the 'winnable' fixtures pass us by. If we're not careful we'll be in a position where we need to pick up points from Utd and City away. The team is still playing with too much fear. We score and then go to bits instead of being encouraged. I think we left it far too late to sack Lambert. Expecting Sherwood to immediately come in and get the players playing his way is a big ask. Having a transfer window with Sherwood would have been beneficial, as he would have been able to briefly see what he needed to build the team his way and try to make a few additions. Now, he's left with the squad that Lambert built and is expected to get them playing how he wants straight away. It's do-able, but it's gonna be bloody tough now.

• Like 3

The worrying thing is that we're letting all of the 'winnable' fixtures pass us by. If we're not careful we'll be in a position where we need to pick up points from Utd and City away. The team is still playing with too much fear. We score and then go to bits instead of being encouraged. I think we left it far too late to sack Lambert. Expecting Sherwood to immediately come in and get the players playing his way is a big ask. Having a transfer window with Sherwood would have been beneficial, as he would have been able to briefly see what he needed to build the team his way and try to make a few additions. Now, he's left with the squad that Lambert built and is expected to get them playing how he wants straight away. It's do-able, but it's gonna be bloody tough now.

Yes, it will be a big task to turn around the mess left behind by the previous incumbent.

For me, we don't have 12 games left as defeats at both Manchester clubs seems inevitable. I'd have written off Southampton but we won there last season and they seem to have the wobbles.

I'd have also written off Spurs away but we might just sneak something there because Sherwood will have an in knowledge of their strengths and weaknesses, so our players should be better prepared than ever for that one.

I'm worried about the games against the Albion because Pulis gets his teams playing physical football and with so much at stake, together with being derby games, I'm concerned that we might end up with injuries/suspensions after those games. We have two winnable league games after the Albion games so keeping all our best players available for those is vital.

We're only in the bottom three on goal difference, teams have got themselves out of trouble from far worse.

Of course the situation in terms of points needed V points available isn't hopeless.

I do think though when a big club starts to tumble - its more difficult to stop - smaller clubs appear to galvanise and get a sense of togetherness - I fear we will have the exact opposite effect and implode.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have fancied us to get anything out of either of the games Leicester and Burnley had this weekend but, I bet we'd have fancied either of them to get something out of the game we had. That thought alone worries me about where we're at in our battle to stay up.

• Like 1

We are down. I cannot see where our next win is going to come from. My only hope now is the club preparing properly for the championship, so we can come back up first time of asking, preferably with the title.

I really don't see us bouncing back with the current incumbents in charge. There approach to running a club is very amateur, I have no confidence we will find it easier in the championship. It would need the sale of the club for us to be taken seriously. 

• Like 1

I think too many are overestimating our rivals and the general standard of the division.

Last season 34 points would've been enough to finish in 17th place and I see no reason to believe that significantly more will be required this - maybe 35 points maximum. That would therefore require 3/4 wins and some draws to do it. We have the most favourable run-in of any side also.

Out of the remaining fixtures, only the Man City, Man United, Tottenham and Southampton games are the ones we shouldn't expect anything from.

I know what you are saying but i think you are underestimating how shit we are. As VillaChris said earlier

"Since beating Leicester on December 7th we've played WBA, Swansea, Palace, Sunderland, Leicester, Hull and Stoke.

We've collected 3 points. Three. That is staggeringly inept..."

We are probably the worst team in the league at the minute. I'm struggling to see us get 8 points let alone 12/13

I still find it amazing that people on here thing QPR, Burnley, Hull, Sunderland etc are going to run away from us.

If we beat Newcastle on Saturday the picture could be different. It takes one win to get confidance up we just need to find it.

One thing I will say. It is confidence IMO. all the players seem to feel it. Accept one. Scott Sinclair seems to be positive, guessing Lambert couldn't get to him during his sort time as his manager.

Keep the faith. Stop fearing and support the team. We might be poor but if we are so are the 6/7 teams around us.

Ps. Everton ain't out of this either.

• Like 1