Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

This thread has gone light years beyond discussing relegation to killing, eulogizing, and entirely burying Villa in the Championship, as if it's a fait accompli.

Now we're at the stage of the reading of the will and dividing property.

But ... we actually still have a chance.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

If we hung on and got a point against Stoke things would have looked much better. The fact we have been the worse team for some time and still not cut adrift shows that we still have a chance to scrape out of the trap door. Burnley have a f'd up run of games so we need to get some points on the board.

This thread has gone light years beyond discussing relegation to killing, eulogizing, and entirely burying Villa in the Championship, as if it's a fait accompli.

Now we're at the stage of the reading of the will and diving property.

Your location says 'USA' . . . I guess you aren't a Brummie? Brummies are famed throughout England as miserable pessimists. I wasn't on the site at the time, but it sounds like a similar amount of nit-picking, axe-grinding and cloud-spotting when we were sixth in the table and winning every other week, and I would expect nothing else. 

• Like 2

One win mate, and the mood will change. Hard to see where that's coming from at the moment though.

... Brummies are famed throughout England as miserable pessimists. ...

The thing that has struck me as especially remarkable is just the totalness of the assumption that it's all over, we're gone, stick a fork in it, etc etc.

In a funny way, it's almost kind of perversely optimistic, like "let's move the next stage, and get on with it," to the point where I myself had almost completely forgotten that ... alas ... we still have a dozen games left! Maybe that's a way for people to dull the pain -- just get on with our new life in the Championship. But as you say, on its face, it's fantastically pessimistic.

I'm more of an optimist but even I think we'll probably go down - we're just so low on confidence that I can't see us digging ourselves out of it.

I don't get the ultra pessimism around next season (if we go down) though. I'm not saying that we'll definitely bounce straight back up, but I think we'll have a decent chance.

Edited by Mantis

The thing that has struck me as especially remarkable is just the totalness of the assumption that it's all over, we're gone, stick a fork in it, etc etc.

In a funny way, it's almost kind of perversely optimistic, like "let's move the next stage, and get on with it," to the point where I myself had almost completely forgotten that ... alas ... we still have a dozen games left! Maybe that's a way for people to dull the pain -- just get on with our new life in the Championship. But as you say, on its face, it's fantastically pessimistic.

It is but it has been a looooong time coming don't you think? I can only speak for myself, but this is the first time I've truly believed that we are more likely to go down than not, after 4 years (5 if you include Houllier) on the bounce and not to mention past close shaves under BFR/Little, Taylor and O'Leary. Mind you, I've always considered myself a glass half full kinda guy. 

It's still not much of a surprise. This kinda shit wears you out. 

• Like 1

It is but it has been a looooong time coming don't you think? I can only speak for myself, but this is the first time I've truly believed that we are more likely to go down than not, after 4 years (5 if you include Houllier) on the bounce and not to mention past close shaves under BFR/Little, Taylor and O'Leary. Mind you, I've always considered myself a glass half full kinda guy. 

It's still not much of a surprise. This kinda shit wears you out. 

I was reading some relegation stories from other clubs and, yep, I gotta say that this year has all the hallmarks of doom. I think you're exactly right to say it's a long time coming. When you look at what happens to other clubs that go down, it doesn't just happen overnight, as you know. The seeds of demise are planted way, way ahead -- even years in advance. Let's face it: Randy Lerner's inattentive, listless non-leadership has been a slow-growing cancer on the club, and it's finally metastasized.

Even when team seems to be reaching new heights, if the foundation is weak, it may all be a pretty picture that dissolves within months -- and the opposite is true, too. Arsenal is a great example of a very stable club that has no chance of going down any time soon. We're not them.

Shite. I'm sounding like a brummie now.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral
  • Like 1

Im backing the club and Sherwood 100% untill we are mathamatically doomed. After that I will be away from VP till next season, preparing for life in the Fizzy pop league. Thats the best I can do!

That's good enough for me. Let's hope the players get that message, too.

• Like 2

I still think we'll stay up. Form is temporary, only in the bottom three on goal difference and we've got some very winnable games to play.

But have we the class? We haven't shown if for so long i'm not sure if we still have it? 

We've had winnable games in the past... and not won! I'm trying to stay positive but I just can't see us winning a game. We look so devoid of confidence. 

*sighs*

Dude, that's nothing! You should see us at funerals. Shed a few tears, drink more beers, then discuss who we think will be next to go!

• Like 2

As i say form's temporary, just because we failed to win a few winnable games in the past doesn't mean we will continue to do so. There's still a large chunk of the season left to play. With the games we have left, I think we should be aiming for 12th.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

"Form is temporary". That sounds quite profound until you start to analyse what it could possibly mean. Form is what gets you the points you need to stay up and we haven't been getting any. 

And that's not in any way an exaggeration - clock this:

BarclaysPremierLeagueclubformguide_zps9c

From http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/form-guide.html

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

"Form is temporary". That sounds quite profound until you start to analyse what it could possibly mean. ...

Nice chart -- thanks. It's an eye-opener!

But I don't think useless meant it in a sort of existential way. And if you consider the second law of thermodynamics, it is ... sort of ... profound. A bit?

If form wasn't temporary then we wouldn't just get relegated this season we'd keep getting relegated. I'm confident we'll turn things around because we've done it before.

Fair point. The question remains - How temporary is it? Enough to get us relegated once I imagine. 

• Like 1