Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

I think we are down , having time to reflect on the weekends result and considered the season as a whole I can't see us staying up.

Lerner has royally screwed us and I know I'm going to be upset we go down officially. I just hope we can rebuilt and come back stronger.

I hope I'm wrong but when you consider all our poor records this season (6defeats in a row twice, record amount of goals not scored , currently the worst goal difference, etc , etc.) and pure lack of Lady Luck , for me it's our season .

Will be a first for me having supported the team since jo Vengloses first season.

• Like 1

I think the way we play against Newcastle will be the deciding factor. They are shite, on the beach at the moment with no manager an nothing really to play for. If we don't win there or not show any fight, that'll be the nail in the coffin, we may as well give up!

We're not going down. You will see.

I admire your optimism, chum, but I don't share it. I think this is the year. I had a dream about it the other night -- not that I think it was prophetic, mind you -- but we were in League One, not the Championship. I don't know if the Football League agreed we'd been so bad this year that we deserved to drop two divisions, but that's what happened.

I just don't think our players have the confidence or the spirit to get out of this mess. Lerner's left it much too late. Lambert should have been gone at the end of the season in my view and a new manager could have had the whole summer to bring in a couple of players, his backroom staff and a new philosophy. That would have been the smart move. Instead he keeps his job and gets a lengthy contract after a few decent results. Absolute madness, Randy. What have you done?

Edited by Ginko

We're not going down. You will see.

I admire your optimism, chum, but I don't share it. I think this is the year. I had a dream about it the other night -- not that I think it was prophetic, mind you -- but we were in League One, not the Championship. I don't know if the Football League agreed we'd been so bad this year that we deserved to drop two divisions, but that's what happened.

I just don't think our players have the confidence or the spirit to get out of this mess. Lerner's left it much too late. Lambert should have been gone at the end of the season in my view and a new manager could have had the whole summer to bring in a couple of players, his backroom staff and a new philosophy. That would have been the smart move. Instead he keeps his job and gets a lengthy contract after a few decent results. Absolute madness, Randy. What have you done?

The clubs we need to beat also have dire problems, and Sunderland and QPR will finally gift us another year in the Premier League. I do think Burnley is worrisome for us. They have spirit. Sunderland and QPR don't. 

Sorry, I wasn't clear. When I said 'we'll be fine, in the end', I might in a rather more general sense. I don't think we'll stay up this season.

Even then there is worry, can't you imagine us being like Leeds or Coventry? Dropping out of the league and just falling, never coming back? I don't think it's unlikely given the care, tactics and investment it requires to get back up, never mind the exodus of your top players.

I think it's fairly unlikely. Out of teams that have played a significant part in the Premier League era, only Sheff Utd, Coventry and Portsmouth are currently lower than the Championship, and Portsmouth are a case apart because of their finances. Even Leeds, for all the dismal drama that they've gone through over the last fifteen years, are still a mid-table Championship team. 

The history of 'bigger' clubs that get relegated is quite positive for us. Newcastle and West Ham both went straight back up. If we do go down, we'll probably still be able to sign decent players on account of most players and agents simply assuming that we'll go back up again. Some of the players currently at the club will do likewise. 

Now, if we don't make it back after one season, it gets much harder, but in truth I don't see us falling out of the Championship. 

Being very bored this morning, and wanting to delay the work I actually have to do, I decided to see if I was talking out of my arse in my last post. Do bigger teams really come straight back up? Or is it a myth?

I had to decide on a metric for 'size of team', so I went with stadium capacity. Obviously, this is very far from a perfect metric, but I couldn't think of a better one. It certainly seems more relevant than 'times winning the European Cup' or whatever. So my first analysis was whether teams that go down and then come back up have bigger stadia than those that go down and stay down. The answer:

Teams Returning To Premier League Average Capacity: 31,349

Teams Failing To Return To Premier League:                  25,848

(Please don't respond with 'correlation does not imply causation' - I know. I'm not saying it does)

I further wondered if there was any connection between average stadium capacity, and the average number of years out of the Premier League for those teams that did return at some point. I made a graph:

20150223043141.png

As you can see, the correlation is quite weak (-0.4) but there are one or two interesting data points. The three largest stadia belong to Newcastle, Man City and Sunderland, who all made it back in an average of less than three seasons, Newcastle being the biggest and making it in one. You'll notice one team with a small stadium that get back in an average of 1.3 seasons each time - can you guess who it is? Answers on a postcard please. You'll also notice a team with quite a big stadium, 32,702 capacity, who in fact average 10 years per spell out of the league, so into the corner of shame go Sheffield United. 

• Like 1

(Please don't respond with 'correlation does not imply causation' - I know. I'm not saying it does)  ...

Wait just one second, Clever Clogs ... Are you contending that correlation implies causation?!?! Incredible! 

(E-hem, thanks for the wonderful productivity-killing graph. It's very interesting. I hope we don't have to test the theory!)

I would love also to see stadium capacity in and out of periods in the Premier League cross-referenced with actual attendance. This would shed light also on how "big clubs'" supporters perceive themselves or their clubs whilst in and out of relegation. How much loyalty is there, for example? I am struck by some of the absurdly tiny attendances Villa had during its Second Division doldrums in the late 60s and early 70s. This suggests that when things get really bad, a "big club" can start looking very tin-pot indeed.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

It will depend on just how good Sherwood is, if he can very quickly work out the best 11 then we have a chance still as we aren't cut adrift yet.

However continuing to play like we are and it's all over, over to you TimbOOOOOOOOO!

It will depend on just how good Sherwood is, if he can very quickly work out the best 11 then we have a chance still as we aren't cut adrift yet.

However continuing to play like we are and it's all over, over to you TimbOOOOOOOOO!

A lot hinges on CB for me .....as poor as he has been playing....him coming good is our only hope.........and it looks a long shot at the mo....

• Like 1

I wouldn't be that bothered about relegation, but giving those dirty words removed at The Sty their two "cup finals" a season will annoy me immensely.

• Like 1