Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

I was the classic 'good at arts and social sciences, utterly crap at science and maths' kid at school. I was always (and still am) interested in science, and I've read a shitload of 'popular science' books, but it has to be explained in language; the minute I see an equation it's game over.

• Like 2

I think the biggest problem science has, is a lot of people think of science as the industry or research, the labs and the boffins.

People don't realise how much science they see on a day to day basis and how much they already know and just ignore because its 'normal' everyday life,.

Science programmes(generally) concentrate on watering down the big issues, or the 'cool something is on fire' science without really explaining it, just saying something like x reacts with x and energy and bang awesome wow.

I understand that that kind of tv can get people into science or change the way you think of things and that is great.

But the most impressive things for me when I was studying chemistry was just being able to see the fundamentals(which tv largely ignores because its 'boring') come alive in the real world.

Chemistry is almost everything around you ffs, its just that most people ignore it.

• Like 1

i dont get those who who are so against using stats in football. Some people just totally dismiss any post which uses stats. Its used as evidence to back up a point. 
And the "i prefer to use my eyes to make my opinions", as if the person who is using stats doesn't watch football and is just going off only stats. Do people not realise how stubborn the human mind is? Humans have such a selective memory and will just remember times when a player did something which reinforce their opinion and quickly forgot the times it dont.

If youre a complete stat-hater. why? i really dont get it

Edited by gharperr

i dont get those who who are so against using stats in football. Some people just totally dismiss any post which uses stats. Its used as evidence to back up a point.

And the "i prefer to use my eyes to make my opinions", as if the person who is using stats doesn't watch football and is just going off only stats. Do people not realise how stubborn the human mind is? Humans have such a selective memory and will just remember times when a player did something which reinforce their opinion and quickly forgot the times it dont.

Stats are my bread and butter, so seeing them used in football is like a wet dream to me. But I don't understand 'soccernomics', that a player can be valued by a number of completed crosses in comparison to another player. I realise it's more complex than that but as much comes from a players personality and tenacity as it does from ability.
  • Like 1

You need a balance.

I don't get people that hide behind stats without actually watching the game or the player with their own eyes. There are too many variables in football that can skew a pure stats based approach. 

An example is the Benteke v Yorke thread and which was a better player for Villa? Stats point to Benteke... yet the vast majority of fans who actually saw both play will say Yorke was better. 

Humans have such a selective memory and will just remember times when a player did something which reinforce their opinion and quickly forgot the times it dont.

It's called a cognitive bias. In this case confirmation bias.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The activity of just sitting and listening to music.

Music is always a background thing for me. I like music, I listen to a lot of it.

But I would never just sit down specifically to listen to music, and do nothing else.

• Like 1

The activity of just sitting and listening to music.

Music is always a background thing for me. I like music, I listen to a lot of it.

But I would never just sit down specifically to listen to music, and do nothing else.

Increasingly, it is becoming a mystery to me as to why people, myself included, actually listen to music.

It seems that the more music I possess the less I listen to it and now that I have 60gb on an MP3 player, I can never listen to anything all the way through because I am always thinking there must be something better than this.

The old tyranny of too many choices. :angry:

• Like 2

Stats are my bread and butter, so seeing them used in football is like a wet dream to me.

But I don't understand 'soccernomics',

that a player can be valued by a number of completed crosses in comparison to another player. I realise it's more complex than that but as much comes from a players personality and tenacity as it does from ability.

It's a load of horseshit, as Liverpool have demonstrated by signing dud after dud based off of data. Stats in football is fine, but as any good statistician will tell you, your data needs to pass the 'eyeball test' and not just a statistical test.

Â