Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

David Guetta

Press play, off we go, mime all the show.

If anyone doubts this, have a look at the youtube footage showing him doing it.

I get that he's constantly busy and that he works tirelessly across the Globe and so some of his shows are live and occasionally he "has a day off" with a prerecorded show, but my god that is awful. I'm not paying for someone to press play, that's taking the piss.

For the record, I absolutely detest his music.

Producers doing DJ sets are definitely more likely to be taking shortcuts than people primarily known for their DJ'ing. Anyone who goes to see David Guetta perform expecting a virtuoso masterclass on the wheels of steel deserves what they get IMO.

The sharpest contrast of this that I saw was Glastonbury highlights on Saturday...

Deadmau5, headlining other stage. Custom MIDI controller, could have put one of his mix cds on.

Jon Hopkins, headlining Park stage. Manual feed out of one synth and ableton into four Korg pads and a sequencer, didn't stop the whole time and clearly made mistakes because he was stitching bits together on the fly.

Massive difference.

• Like 1

I was never much into house, garage, shed, greenhouse or lean-to, and the rest of those dance genres, therefore I have to admit that I don't get DJing.

I kind of understand there is a lot of creativity involved with the mixing but it always seems like someone with a lot of expensive kit taking credit for other people's work.

I can't think of another art-form where the ego of those performing is so disproportionate to the skill involved.

• Like 3

Art is anything that evokes a response in the viewer/listener. 

A blank white canvas may thus have equal validity with a renaissance landscape, and a DJ performance with an orchestral rendition of Beethoven's 9th, 

Where I draw the line is when the landscape and the Beethoven are deemed to be LESS worthy/interesting/relevant, simply because they do not conform with the contemporary zeitgeist. Traditional creative skills should still be taught, nurtured and valued, as well as accepting the spontaneity of the inspired amateur. 

Back in the 70s, the big mistake of the progressive rock lot was to sneer at the punk rockers. But was just as big a mistake for the punk rockers to sneer at the proggers. 

Look for the value in everything, even though it may not be obvious. 

• Like 1

Art is anything that evokes a response in the viewer/listener. 

A blank white canvas may thus have equal validity with a renaissance landscape, and a DJ performance with an orchestral rendition of Beethoven's 9th, 

Where I draw the line is when the landscape and the Beethoven are deemed to be LESS worthy/interesting/relevant, simply because they do not conform with the contemporary zeitgeist. Traditional creative skills should still be taught, nurtured and valued, as well as accepting the spontaneity of the inspired amateur. 

Back in the 70s, the big mistake of the progressive rock lot was to sneer at the punk rockers. But was just as big a mistake for the punk rockers to sneer at the proggers. 

Look for the value in everything, even though it may not be obvious. 

I wouldn't agree with that.

The emotional response to a lesser expression of art might be experienced as intensely as someone experiencing the greater, but I do not think that means that the lesser is equal to the greater.

Beethoven is better than Mantovani; Middlemarch is better than Fifty Shades of Grey, Coltrane is better than Kenny G, and Turner is better than Vettriano.

But obviously if these things were decided democratically, things would be reversed - but that's democracy for you.  :(

David Guetta

Press play, off we go, mime all the show.

If anyone doubts this, have a look at the youtube footage showing him doing it.

I get that he's constantly busy and that he works tirelessly across the Globe and so some of his shows are live and occasionally he "has a day off" with a prerecorded show, but my god that is awful. I'm not paying for someone to press play, that's taking the piss.

For the record, I absolutely detest his music.

Producers doing DJ sets are definitely more likely to be taking shortcuts than people primarily known for their DJ'ing. Anyone who goes to see David Guetta perform expecting a virtuoso masterclass on the wheels of steel deserves what they get IMO.
The sharpest contrast of this that I saw was Glastonbury highlights on Saturday...

Deadmau5, headlining other stage. Custom MIDI controller, could have put one of his mix cds on.

Jon Hopkins, headlining Park stage. Manual feed out of one synth and ableton into four Korg pads and a sequencer, didn't stop the whole time and clearly made mistakes because he was stitching bits together on the fly.

Massive difference.

That Hopkins set was fantastic btw. Really chilled. Talented chap.

Banksy must come close.

A guy with a rat stencil and friends in the media.

Such a big ego that the masses don't know who he is.

I think you might be looking at this a bit simplistically.

That's not meant to be rude. I mean not everyone with a big ego needs to be on the cover of Howdy! magazine.

You could suggest that he has the best of both worlds. His peers know who he is but he can walk amongst the mortals with ease.

Banksy must come close.

I think you're looking at art a bit simplistically

Banksy must come close.

Compared to you?

I did try to explain my thunking in the next couple of lines, but you edited out the rest.

Thai Brides.

Fella here sitting next to me on train and he's got one, granted he's not the best looking bloke in the world, he's got the iphone 5 & she's got the iphone 6.

something similar but ive spent 5 months in Philippines this year...

People who think they can buy love. It is crazy the amount of older white people who think they can just throw a bit of money and it will buy them love. I dont know if they know it will never work. But they pay for their accommodation in one of the nicest residential condo building which is 1k$+. they'll pay for them to live which is 1k$+. They pay for their education (dont know price of this) and they only get to see them for 1 month a year. As soon as theyre gone the pinoys are happy sleeping with anyone. Feel sorry for the guys. I dont know if they know theyre sleeping about once theyre gone or if they actually think theyre loyal. But theres such a cheating culture here and all the girls are redic horny i dont get how they can pay for all that for them.

ive even had a girl pay for all my drinks/food etc when we meet because her foreign boyfriend was sending her more than she could spend 

When i was in thailand last year and you would see "thai brides" and their boyfriend. Literally no conversation between them what so ever. The things people do just for sex...

Edited by gharperr

Thai Brides.

Fella here sitting next to me on train and he's got one, granted he's not the best looking bloke in the world, he's got the iphone 5 & she's got the iphone 6.

something similar but ive spent 5 months in Philippines this year...

People who think they can buy love. It is crazy the amount of older white people who think they can just throw a bit of money and it will buy them love. I dont know if they know it will never work. But they pay for their accommodation in one of the nicest residential condo building which is 1k$+. they'll pay for them to live which is 1k$+. They pay for their education (dont know price of this) and they only get to see them for 1 month a year. As soon as theyre gone the pinoys are happy sleeping with anyone. Feel sorry for the guys. I dont know if they know theyre sleeping about once theyre gone or if they actually think theyre loyal. But theres such a cheating culture here and all the girls are redic horny i dont get how they can pay for all that for them.

ive even had a girl pay for all my drinks/food etc when we meet because her foreign boyfriend was sending her more than she could spend

When i was in thailand last year and you would see "thai brides" and their boyfriend. Literally no conversation between them what so ever. The things people do just for sex...

Maybe the rich foreign boyfriends have a family back home?

So you've seen a person on a train with a woman who isn't of his own race and decided she's a 'Thai Bride'!?

There's negative connotations in there that are rather unsettling.

It was in Banteer man in Cork, this fella was clearly a farmer, I'm fairly sure she was a thai bride. He looked like his mother had dressed him, and she spent the whole journey taking selfies and doing her nails, they said about 2 words. If it was a train in London I'd be less likely to jump to the conclusion but I don't think Banteer has a big thai population.

Edited by Folski

Â