Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Why is Tom Cruise such a platinum grade A acting superstar?

He's not in any way a very good actor and most of his films a pretty shit. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Confused 1

Cruise is an odd one. He's a good actor, but has fairly limited range, he's not someone like Daniel Day Lewis who is literally a chameleon, he suits very particular kinds of roles. He's one of the few actors that can probably get a film made on his own - iirc the Mission Impossible films since 3 have basically been his own projects, for instance. He also had the benefit of coming through in the mid 80s at a point where he didn't really have much competition in the 'young heart throb' stakes and set himself apart by being able to act as well, and chose good projects at the right times of his career, particularly earlier on, to give him clout.

He is strange though, he carries an odd baggage with him now which prevents you from engaging with a character he plays, you just see Tom Cruise I find. I get the feeling nobody really knows who Tom Cruise is, any public appearance is a performance, and as a result he has a veneer of falseness he can't escape, that only gets worse.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Why is Tom Cruise such a platinum grade A acting superstar?

He's not in any way a very good actor and most of his films a pretty shit. 

Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Minority Report, Oblivion, Rain Man, Born on the Fourth of July…..and I’m forgetting a ton more great films he’s been the lead in.

I think that comments about as wide of the mark as possible on here, which is impressive.

• Like 1

As an absolute amateur at watching films, whenever I watch a Tom Cruise film, it feels exactly like that, a Tom Cruise film.

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed him acting a different character. It’s like he went to the Michael Caine school of fully immersive method acting.

I mean it’s not automatically a bad thing. I really like the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds. But its very much, a vehicle for Tom Cruise to be in a film playing Tom Cruise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

As an absolute amateur at watching films, whenever I watch a Tom Cruise film, it feels exactly like that, a Tom Cruise film.

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed him acting a different character. It’s like he went to the Michael Caine school of fully immersive method acting.

I mean it’s not automatically a bad thing. I really like the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds. But its very much, a vehicle for Tom Cruise to be in a film playing Tom Cruise.

Lots of actors make a lot of money playing the same person over and over. Ben Stiller, Will Ferrel, Hugh Grant to name a few.
My vote for someone who plays a variety of roles fantastically, Tom Hanks.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Born on the Fourth of July vs Minority Report (as an example).

I agree that most of his films all feel kinda the same in terms of his character but there are some variations.

44 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Bit before my time,but apparently Fred Astare always acted in dancing movies.Boris Karloff in horror movies and Bing Crosby in singing movies.So,apparently this is nothing new.

Cruise was excellent in Tropic Thunder! 

It is quite a run he's had - he's been the number one film star 'name' for about 30 years. Pure box office. Hanks would be at two IMO.

However, I do like him. His name on a project means it'll probably be decent, with a few exceptions (The Mummy!)

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Cruise was excellent in Tropic Thunder! 

It is quite a run he's had - he's been the number one film star 'name' for about 30 years. Pure box office. Hanks would be at two IMO.

However, I do like him. His name on a project means it'll probably be decent, with a few exceptions (The Mummy!)

I liked The Mummy! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I liked The Mummy! 

I liked the Brendon Fraser one in the late 90's, but I just couldn't take to the 2017 Cruise version. 

Â