Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

With all the amazing stuff we know about bees, you'd think they'd have a similar sense of direction, but no. If you move their hive only a hundred yards or so while they're out collecting nectar, they get totally lost. Apparently they just have a look round at the local landmarks before they set off, and look for that when they get back. 

I've heard this before.

Isn't it the case that you could move the Hive to the other side of the world and THEN they'd find their way back. But only a small distance and they get totally lost.

Something to do with them using local landmarks so when they're still in the same area they don't recalibrate their direction because the landmarks look the same.

But when they're obviously somewhere different then they do

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've heard this before.

Isn't it the case that you could move the Hive to the other side of the world and THEN they'd find their way back. But only a small distance and they get totally lost.

Something to do with them using local landmarks so when they're still in the same area they don't recalibrate their direction because the landmarks look the same.

But when they're obviously somewhere different then they do

Yeah, now you mention it, I think that's correct. They recognise there's been a major move, so they reset their satnavs, otherwise they don't bother. 

• Like 1

Anyway, about Bee's - they get loads of love and even have the saying "worker/busy bee" attributed to them, like they're the hardest working thing out there, but the amount of bee's I see on the footpath or bumping into my window in the mid-afternoon doesn't appear like much work to me - looks more like they're skiving from their duties and have a work rate more akin to a handy-man than anything of actual value.  And to think of it, I've never seen a bee past 6pm, so they don't even do the overtime required to get them to a 37.5 hour working week.

Busy Bee? LAZY BEE MORE LIKE! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Getting the bin in yesterday I discovered a pigeon carcass on the drive, pretty much completely devoured leaving just it's bones wings and feet. I don't really know what to do with it, so it's still there, like some macabre warning to the postman.

We get loads of those. Sparrowhawks doing their thing, mostly.

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

When I drive and there are birds in the road, I assume they will move out of the way when they see me approaching.

I've noticed that Pigeons are the "worst" at moving, often leaving it until my car is within 10 or so meters of them.

Magpies seem to be the best, along with Crows - who seem to "see me" approaching from a good 50m or so away. 

I wonder if they see the world differently, and why one set of birds is so obviously better at spotting me. 

Pheasants are rubbish as well. They play 'chicken' but forget to run! Thick rocket polishers. 

Crows are highly intelligent. 

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

Crows are highly intelligent. 

So they say. However... I was driving home from work once, and watched a crow trying to cross a busy road. It would wait for a gap in the traffic, start to hop across, realise it wasn't going to make it, and scurry back. After four or five goes at this, it must have suddenly remembered it was a bird - and flew across. Duh. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Anyway, about Bee's - they get loads of love and even have the saying "worker/busy bee" attributed to them, like they're the hardest working thing out there, but the amount of bee's I see on the footpath or bumping into my window in the mid-afternoon doesn't appear like much work to me - looks more like they're skiving from their duties and have a work rate more akin to a handy-man than anything of actual value.  And to think of it, I've never seen a bee past 6pm, so they don't even do the overtime required to get them to a 37.5 hour working week.

Busy Bee? LAZY BEE MORE LIKE! 

They're SO lazy they can't even be bothered to retrieve their sting and just frigging DIE on the spot.  That's how lazy they are.

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

They're SO lazy they can't even be bothered to retrieve their sting and just frigging DIE on the spot.  That's how lazy they are.

It's worse than that, they can only be arsed to sting you in the first place if they feel really really threatened

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It's worse than that, they can only be arsed to sting you in the first place if they feel really really threatened

Choke them with smoke.  Choke them all.  Hahahaha, look at them all zombified on their backs with their little feet pathetically wiggling slowly in the air.  Smoke them some more.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Choke them with smoke.  Choke them all.  Hahahaha, look at them all zombified on their backs with their little feet pathetically wiggling slowly in the air.  Smoke them some more.

HAHAHAAA

No but to be fair we'd probably all die without them... 🥲

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

HAHAHAAA

This is very true.I watched a documentry about bees and if they dont polinate flowers,fruit trees then you get no fruit or flowers.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

HAHAHAAA

Yeah, but they look funny lying on their backs with their legs in the air.  Swings and Roundabouts, swings and roundabouts.

I got stung in the head by a bee while showering during an African safari. 
I learned two things:

1. African bees are b******s and the headache lasted three days

2. if you don’t want to get stung by a bee, don’t use fruity smelling shower gel. 

I have just made a bug hotel, hopefully it attracts solitary bees and not wasps. I have been stung by a wasp once and it hurt like a bastard. I clicked the little swine at my wife, she still reminds me. 

Â