Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Remember the guy, I think he was from brum, used to make the pinhead models, like you couldn't see it without a magnifying glass. I think he made some money, but what would you buy one for, unless you was going to have a magnifying glass over it, which then defeats the object really.

The wife is watching top boy in German, without trying to spoil anything the dubbing and subtitles has changed the scousers in to being from Manchester and not Liverpool

I've finished it but she's watching an episode now and it came up **** off back to manchester

Really weird they'd make that change and it serves absolutely no purpose 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

In this day and age I don't even get watches let alone expensive watches. Even those smart watches, what can it do that my phone can't.

Be strapped around your wrist. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

In this day and age I don't even get watches let alone expensive watches. Even those smart watches, what can it do that my phone can't.

True. However I find if my phone alert goes off when I'm driving I can quickly turn my wrist sightly to see what the alert is on my watch without letting go of the steering wheel.

Edited by mottaloo

32 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

True. However I find if my phone alert goes off when I'm driving I can quickly turn my wrist sightly to see what the alert is on my watch without letting go of the steering wheel.

Phone in phone holder on dashboard, next

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The wife is watching top boy in German, without trying to spoil anything the dubbing and subtitles has changed the scousers in to being from Manchester and not Liverpool

I've finished it but she's watching an episode now and it came up **** off back to manchester

Really weird they'd make that change and it serves absolutely no purpose 

Germans don't have negative views of Scousers but they do of Mancunians

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Germans don't have negative views of Scousers but they do of Mancunians

Whats that based on? 

Never come across that before, if I'm honest the ones I know tend to know London and Scotland and very very little in between 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Whats that based on? 

Never come across that before, if I'm honest the ones I know tend to know London and Scotland and very very little in between 

Football.

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah probably not a factor where I am then with fc koln fans and a handful of monchengladbach thrown in 

Klopp, Hamman etc

My mates sister lives in Germany and has done for decades (around Munich) and whenever he goes over to visit, it's the Mancs they all seem to dislike

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I don't wear a watch anymore. Mainly because I can't even see the time without reading glasses, but I can see the time on my phone screen.

But I don't miss wearing one. I can understand why people just wouldn't bother. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

On the whole I agree, I never wore a watch for years.  I found during the pandemic though that I didn’t move as much and my work is sitting at a computer all day and the kilos started adding on.  

I’ve always like challenges and smashing targets so I brought an Apple Watch, just an older series.  Using the exercise, movement and standing rings along with challenges it has probably doubled my movement since I’ve got it because I hate to fail, whereas without those damn rings there is nothing to focus me as “in your face” as them.  

Years ago I had a personal trainer at the gym and I’ve also previously had a naturopath that kept me focused but at great expense and I know what to do after years with them so I don’t need that expense anymore.   It’s just about doing it, and this contraption on my wrist I hate because I don’t like watches but it works for me now I’m mid forties and I can’t eat what I want when I want and not do any exercise and considerable movement without the kilos adding to my waistline.  

The thing on my wrist is always there and I know I need to complete the rings otherwise…….well otherwise nothing I guess but a sense of defeat…but also a 1/1000th of a second of joy when I do complete them.

So a long winded answer but that is what my (Apple) Watch does that my phone can’t…mostly can’t.  It also has the time 😂 but I wouldn’t wear it if it wasn’t for the above.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

On the whole I agree, I never wore a watch for years.  I found during the pandemic though that I didn’t move as much and my work is sitting at a computer all day and the kilos started adding on.  

I’ve always like challenges and smashing targets so I brought an Apple Watch, just an older series.  Using the exercise, movement and standing rings along with challenges it has probably doubled my movement since I’ve got it because I hate to fail, whereas without those damn rings there is nothing to focus me as “in your face” as them.  

Years ago I had a personal trainer at the gym and I’ve also previously had a naturopath that kept me focused but at great expense and I know what to do after years with them so I don’t need that expense anymore.   It’s just about doing it, and this contraption on my wrist I hate because I don’t like watches but it works for me now I’m mid forties and I can’t eat what I want when I want and not do any exercise and considerable movement without the kilos adding to my waistline.  

The thing on my wrist is always there and I know I need to complete the rings otherwise…….well otherwise nothing I guess but a sense of defeat…but also a 1/1000th of a second of joy when I do complete them.

So a long winded answer but that is what my (Apple) Watch does that my phone can’t…mostly can’t.  It also has the time 😂 but I wouldn’t wear it if it wasn’t for the above.

Yeah I have a Garmin running watch, and I find it genuinely useful. You can run with a phone holder, but it's annoying, and it doesn't keep track of your heart rate, stress levels, etc. These kinds of watches are bringing something extra beyond just "Swiss precision timekeeping" or whatever a Rolex offers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

A good mechanical watch will still be ticking away in 20 years time, long after you’ve probably stuck 10 phones in a drawer to gather dust, with their various chargers. 

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah I have a Garmin running watch, and I find it genuinely useful. You can run with a phone holder, but it's annoying, and it doesn't keep track of your heart rate, stress levels, etc. These kinds of watches are bringing something extra beyond just "Swiss precision timekeeping" or whatever a Rolex offers.

Yep and it’s not just your “fixed exercise” as I call it like going to the gym or going for run.  It’s making sure during the rest of the day I’m at least moving enough because during the lockdowns I was literally moving only between my bed, bathroom, computer and the sofa. The watch tracks my heart beat, movement, stairs, the different workouts or energy consuming things.  Some things, as you say, you can get from the phone either carrying or a holder but some things you can’t.  I hate it but I also like it.

9 minutes ago, Risso said:

A good mechanical watch will still be ticking away in 20 years time, long after you’ve probably stuck 10 phones in a drawer to gather dust, with their various chargers. 

This is absolutely true, with maintenance they'll be running for decades. But it's not like for like, is it? Nobody thinks "no need for a fancy new smartphone to tell the time, I have my trustworthy watch". You'll have the phone anyway, no matter what you have on your wrist.

They're pretty jewellery, not a functional item, IMO, and while they don't appeal to me, they make sense through the lens of having money to burn and wanting to treat yourself to a luxurious item that looks nice and will hold its value if looked after. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

Â