Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

I’ve got a couple of what I think are mason Bees living in the wall at the back of our house, amazing little things to watch coming and going.

Gets tasty when they both return to their separate holes at the same time though, shit gets real, thought they’d killed each other a few days ago after they had a fight but both flew off afterwards.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’ve got a couple of what I think are mason Bees living in the wall at the back of our house, amazing little things to watch coming and going.

Gets tasty when they both return to their separate holes at the same time though, shit gets real, thought they’d killed each other a few days ago after they had a fight but both flew off afterwards.

Are you sure they weren't just giving each other a funny handshake?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Are you sure they weren't just giving each other a funny handshake?

Nah they really don’t like each other, it had been brewing for days. Funnily enough tho it’s the smaller one that kicks off I’ve noticed.

On 17/05/2022 at 16:07, mjmooney said:

Yeah, now you mention it, I think that's correct. They recognise there's been a major move, so they reset their satnavs, otherwise they don't bother. 

Bit late to the bee talk but there's a community app that I go on now and again as its useful to sell/give away something or find recommended tradesman etc. It's usually full of lost cat posts. The other week there was one asking if anyone had lost a swarm of bees! Which at the time I found amusing.

Anyway apparently a local beekeeper came and got the queen as supposedly this makes them go back to where they came from or go off elsewhere (can't remember which)

"penalty shootout is a lottery".

It's the worst repeated football cliche.

It really isn't a lottery. There was 1 poor penalty last night, and it cost Rangers the game. 

It's a combination of a cool head, good strikes, mind games, good goalkeeping. There is very little luck involved, if you hit it well it's impossible for the keeper to reach it. 

It's as much of a lottery as a game of darts. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It really isn't a lottery. There was 1 poor penalty last night, and it cost Rangers the game. 

It's a combination of a cool head, good strikes, mind games, good goalkeeping. There is very little luck involved, if you hit it well it's impossible for the keeper to reach it. 

Which is exactly why they're brilliant, ultimate test in football because they should be able to put that ball wherever they want but in the melting pot of the moment they can't 

Extra time for me is becoming increasing a case of who has the better squad, squad management and fitness and even then neither team really go hell for leather, needs knocking on the head, straight to pens 

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Which is exactly why they're brilliant, ultimate test in football because they should be able to put that ball wherever they want but in the melting pot of the moment they can't 

Extra time for me is becoming increasing a case of who has the better squad, squad management and fitness and even then neither team really go hell for leather, needs knocking on the head, straight to pens 

The only way it would be better for penalties is if they try to remove any bias from the actual process.

Each team takes their penalties in front of their own fans (although bad for GK's?  But at least they are not looking that way), or if you're evil, opponents fans.

Keepers cannot have any data, like we saw on Bamba's bottle - if you do research, do it before the game and if you remember, then good for you - if not, don't just have the answer on your glove/bottle/ towel etc.  All items should be removed.

That said about the fan affect, it would be interesting to see the stats of how many shoot-outs were won in front of own fans/oppo fans.. 

12 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Nah they really don’t like each other, it had been brewing for days. Funnily enough tho it’s the smaller one that kicks off I’ve noticed.

Joe Pesci syndrome.

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Agree completely. I hate that phrase.

It DOES level the playing field somewhat, so it's easier for a big team to lose to a small team when you get to penalties. but it very much isn't a lottery.

I also don't get when the commentators say something like "Nobody likes to see a game settled on penalties"

Bullshit. literally everyone does, except maybe the fans of the team who loses. As a neutral, I almost always want to see penalties

My Dad, who was a semi-pro footballer in the (no, this is not a mistype) 1920s, was adamant that there was no excuse for a professional to ever miss a penalty. And he hated players trying to place it carefully in the corner of the net, as that was just inviting a miss or an easy save. Smash it down the middie as hard as possible, so that in the unlikely event of the keeper standing up, he'd have no chance of stopping it. 

I have no idea whether he actually took penalties, or ever missed one. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My Dad, who was a semi-pro footballer in the (no, this is not a mistype) 1920s, was adamant that there was no excuse for a professional to ever miss a penalty. And he hated players trying to place it carefully in the corner of the net, as that was just inviting a miss or an easy save. Smash it down the middie as hard as possible, so that in the unlikely event of the keeper standing up, he'd have no chance of stopping it. 

I fear for the penalty taker as soon as they start doing a silly stuttered shuffle up to the ball.   Alan Shearer, Garth Barry, just smash it with a bit of height and a bit of width, almost never miss almost never saved.

Placing it / waiting for the keeper to move first always leaves it open to a cock up in my opinion.

Pretty much every penalty I've seen saved recently has been down to the penalty taker trying to be clever in some way.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I fear for the penalty taker as soon as they start doing a silly stuttered shuffle up to the ball.   Alan Shearer, Garth Barry, just smash it with a bit of height and a bit of width, almost never miss almost never saved.

Placing it / waiting for the keeper to move first always leaves it open to a cock up in my opinion.

Pretty much every penalty I've seen saved recently has been down to the penalty taker trying to be clever in some way.

Look at Ramsey last night, I don't think it was particularly clever he just hasn't hit the ball cleanly, pro footballer on the rumoured £400k a week in a European Cup final can't make a clean striker on a dead ball, madness, that's the situation and pressure getting to him 

Then you add in the silly run up and giving the keeper the eye, now you have Emi giving the taker the eye, the forest keeper making the 1st taker wait 20 mins (I'm dying to see a keeper run out and smash the ball 60 yards down the pitch before a penalty is taken, take the yellow!) the gamesmanship of it all

I love them! It can't just be me that 1 - always picks a team in a shootout, doesn't matter if it was port Vale vs Swindon tonight I'd pick a team and 2 - always mutters to himself "he's missing that" with every taker 

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Clearly taking a penalty isn't as easy as people think. Otherwise there would be more players who score them all the time

they're not - but they should be - that's why they're great

you look at like lehmann on soccer am the other week just nonchalantly putting the ball in the top corner without a care in the world, mason mount an england intenrational playing for chelsea in the FA cup final should be able to do the same, I bet on the training pitch he does it 20 times a day...yet in front on 90.000 people and the tv cameras with a cup on the line its completely different, throw in Mane too, his penalty was terrible, both players can hit a better penalty than that, no doubt about it for me but the pressure has got to them and they've fluffed it

you look at that shoot out, thiago does the keeper, reece james of all people is even cooler, jota hits an unsavable penalty, barkley just smashes it, there's a lot of different types of penalty in that shoot out - too many players try to do what thiago did rather than doing what jota did

I wrote to UEFA once about what I saw on the field as a replacement to a penalty shoot-out,IMHO it would much more fair and a better spectcale for the supporters as well,but they didnt even acknowledge my letter.You would think that an organisation like UEFA would at least have the decency to say "your idear stinks,but thanks anyway"

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I wrote to UEFA once about what I saw on the field as a replacement to a penalty shoot-out,IMHO it would much more fair and a better spectcale for the supporters as well,but they didnt even acknowledge my letter.You would think that an organisation like UEFA would at least have the decency to say "your idear stinks,but thanks anyway"

You gonna leave us hanging or explain what your idea was? 

spacer.png

Just now, Rds1983 said:

You gonna leave us hanging or explain what your idea was? 

spacer.png

Its not my idear.I actually saw this way of deciding a final when I was in New Zealand.

At the start of extra time corners count as points BUT any goal over-rules a corner.To explain more fully,at the end of the 30 minutes if the score is still 0-0 then the team that conceeded the most corners loses.This rewards the attacking team.If however one team conceeds 10 corners but scores the only goal then they win.So, goals override corners.I still remember that extra time,as it was the best ( and most exciting ) I have ever seen.What happened during extra time was a team would attack and there were heaps of shots at goal because the team was looking for a goal or a corner.As soon as one teams GK saved a shot he would start his team attacking so they could hopefully score a goal or a corner.In the end one team won by 1 goal to nil but there were a total of something like 16 corners and 20/30 shots at goal.IMHO much better than a penalty shoot out.I think the corner count ( which was constantly updated on the scoreboard was something like 15 to 16.While watching the game you are constantly looking at the scoreboard and seeing which team is ahead on corners.Really exciting and keeps you on your toes for the whole 30 minutes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, but in the 1920's the ball was constructed differently. They were made of leather, with a rubber bladder, which, when struck turned into depleted uranium. When you see a keeper diving to save a penalty nowadays, they don't realise it was actually inspired by keepers jumping out of the way of the ball to save their lives. True fact.

• Haha 3

Â