Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I liked the Brendon Fraser one in the late 90's, but I just couldn't take to the 2017 Cruise version. 

Actually, you're right. 

This is still the best thing about the Cruise Mummy, which was so bad, let us remember, that it killed a franchise stone dead at the first hurdle.

The 90s Mummy still holds up. The CGI has aged but the rest is solid.

Of course the CGI is a big thing to have as a weakness, but there's nothing quite as bad as the CGI the Rock from the sequel...

• Like 2

Watched cable guy again earlier.

I don't get why he calls it "Roundball" do some people in the states actually call it that or was it just for comedy value?

Edited by AshVilla

That friend of mine ( the one that believes Qanon ) has just enlightened me that there is no war in the Ukraine.All those pictures and news footage we see on TV is from video games.How the f**k do people like that get through life ?!

5 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

That friend of mine ( the one that believes Qanon ) has just enlightened me that there is no war in the Ukraine.All those pictures and news footage we see on TV is from video games.How the f**k do people like that get through life ?!

It sounds to me like he's got genuine mental problems in all honesty. 

There is going down a few rabbit holes and believing in some conspiracy theories but I do think people who go that far from reality do have problems. 

No,actually he is quite intelligent,he retired at age 40.Its just that as far as news is concerned he is "totally" brainwashed by Qanon.I just passed on what he said but him and I have come to an agreement to "not"discuss anything to do with the news/current affairs.

• 4 weeks later...

Quoting this here, because it’s not just Grealish, or footballers, it’s seemingly so wide spread. 

Plus in addition to Spain’s delightful act not winning Eurovision, the last thing @rjw63 wants is for the JG thread to be further bumped this weekend unnecessarily by my ramblings.

Not really interested in hammering Grealish, with the whole encyclopaedia thing, I said at the time at least he had the confidence to ask what it meant.

On 14/05/2022 at 13:50, Tom13 said:

This has been discussed before, but anyway…I don’t get how someone can be well into adulthood with this level of ignorance or, at absolute best, a sort of knowing ambivalence of basic knowledge. 

There’s seeking out information because you kinda feel you should know it, or you’re mildly curious. I accept that I, and most on here, are possibly more inclined to go down a rabbit hole on a topic if it piques an interest.

And then there’s information that, to me, it seems impossible to have not stumbled across (and absorbed) by the time you’re a fully grown adult with some sort of responsibility. For me, knowing whereabouts you’re from in relation to the rest of the country would fall into that category.

I’m not the best at guessing where places are, I reckon I’d get a fair few countries wrong if I had to guess. But I just don’t know how someone can be a few years off 30 and not know even roughly where on a map they have been living for the majority of their life. 

For the record, having watched the full clip, Jordan Henderson tells him where he guessed Solihull was and based on that prompt, Jack places his guess seemingly somewhere around Peterborough.

A77A0AEE-D90F-49F3-8EBF-C46F6ADE5975.png.0ca32aff4e9ca2c3cebec7f12da67475.png

• Haha 2

Grealish is a genuine **** moron. If he wasn't a brilliant footballer, he'd have amounted to absolutely nothing. I'm surprised he doesn't need velcro football boots. 

I'm most disappointed that Henderson, who's meant to have a half decent head on his shoulders, either still has no **** idea where Birmingham is, or doesn't put two and two together about Solihull being near Birmingham. Imbeciles, to a man.

• Like 1

What I don't get about it is that football is a reason to know a little geography imo 

How do I know where Norwich is on a map? Cos I've done Norwich away 

How do I know where Cluj is? Because they played in the Champions League 

• Like 3

There are things like weather reports which use a map and they occasionally have place names on it. Ok, not every place named is noted, but the major ones tend to be. And the reports are on literally every day, multiple times. I can only guess that those who struggle with a “mental map” as Mike puts it, just never see or retain it.

I don’t use a sat nav, but when I use my map app on my phone, I type in the location I’m looking for, press the button to start the simulated journey and the map zooms out to show where I am in relation to my proposed destination. I then have an understanding of roughly how far north, south, east or west I am to it. I can only assume people aren’t doing that either.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

There are things like weather reports which use a map and they occasionally have place names on it. Ok, not every place named is noted, but the major ones tend to be. And the reports are on literally every day, multiple times. I can only guess that those who struggle with a “mental map” as Mike puts it, just never see or retain it.

You mean the weather bit that's on at the end of the news?

Well that kind of involves people being engaged with the news and for the full length of the programme, that's two major hurdles

16 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t use a sat nav, but when I use my map app on my phone,

Erm, hate to break it to you... That is a Sat Nav

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

You mean the weather bit that's on at the end of the news?

Well that kind of involves people being engaged with the news and for the full length of the programme, that's two major hurdles

Erm, hate to break it to you... That is a Sat Nav

I don’t know, weather reports to me seem the sort of thing I happen to catch inadvertently. I just would think that randomly chosen person off the street occasionally sees them regardless of how interested they are in the news programme.

For instance people might catch the last five minutes of the news/weather because they want to watch The One Show.

Yeah, fair enough about sat nav. I suppose I mean I don’t use it when driving, in the way Mike says his daughter and her partner do. I use it to determine where somewhere is relative to me before a potential journey, so I can consider various routes in advance. I wouldn’t just get in the car, sat nav on, tell me where to go and then end up in the wrong location.

I might refer to it if needed, but I’ve already established where I’m going beforehand.

The point I was making anyway, is I see the map and so get a sense of where something is. I don’t know if a Tom Tom or whatever works in the same way.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t use a sat nav, but when I use my map app on my phone, I type in the location I’m looking for, press the button to start the simulated journey and the map zooms out to show where I am in relation to my proposed destination. I then have an understanding of roughly how far north, south, east or west I am to it. I can only assume people aren’t doing that either.

While I'm fairly well engaged with current affairs, I don't think I've watched "the news" (or, consequently, the weather), in the better part of 15 years. If we're relying on broadcast news to educate people on the layout of the nation I fear we're probably losing the younger generations, who watches broadcast TV these days? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

While I'm fairly well engaged with current affairs, I don't think I've watched "the news" (or, consequently, the weather), in the better part of 15 years. If we're relying on broadcast news to educate people on the layout of the nation I fear we're probably losing the younger generations, who watches broadcast TV these days? 

Its the best thing about living abroad, don't watch it on TV and don't read the papers 

I get my news on here more than anything else

Location plays a part, if I asked my wife or daughter where Solihull was, they would know. They would be less certain where Wythenshawe, Jesmond, Bramhope or Bruntsfield is. I would hazard a guess they wouldn't have a clue. Ask someone from near Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds or Edinburgh and they would have more of an idea. 

I think my daughter also would struggle to place a lot of cities in the UK on a map. 

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I get my news on here more than anything else

In other words, you walk around blissfully believing that the biggest challange today’s society is facing is whether or not it is acceptable to put gravy on fish? 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Many (not all) young people - sorry, but this is an old bloke rant - don't think they need to know the basic geography of their own country. Footballers are either driven from A to B by someone else, or they blindly obey their satnavs, with no 'mental map' of where places are relative to each other. My daughter and her partner wanted to drive from Leeds to a shopping centre in York. There is a centre with the same name in Sheffield, and that's where the satnav sent them. How can someone drive south from Leeds on the M1 and think they're going to York? We need a revival of printed atlases. 

The guardian podcast mentioned this that elite professional footballers live in little bubbles away from reality. This starts from a young age and all they have focused on is training and playing football. And maybe a few lads nights out. They have been ferried around first by the parents and then from their teenage years a football club and will not learn any of these life skills.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Location plays a part, if I asked my wife or daughter where Solihull was, they would know. They would be less certain where Wythenshawe, Jesmond, Bramhope or Bruntsfield is. I would hazard a guess they wouldn't have a clue. Ask someone from near Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds or Edinburgh and they would have more of an idea. 

I think my daughter also would struggle to place a lot of cities in the UK on a map. 

I think a lot of people would struggle to find the UK on a map let alone any of the cities. 

• Like 1

Â