Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Bought an Apple Watch last year and regret it. Probably don’t use the majority of the functions (I know this is my fault) but it was three times the price of my old Fitbit and the things I used that for (step count, heart rate and sleep monitoring), it did as well or better. Sleep section of the Apple is rubbish in comparison. Useful to be able to take a phone call on my wrist but absolutely not necessary!! At first, I also liked having What’s App notifications pop up on my wrist but had to turn that off after a while as it was too distracting with various group chats. In turn, when I got the Fitbit a few years ago, that consigned a perfectly good wristwatch (not expensive) to a drawer never to be worn since. Consumerism eh?

1 minute ago, chappy said:

Bought an Apple Watch last year and regret it. Probably don’t use the majority of the functions (I know this is my fault) but it was three times the price of my old Fitbit and the things I used that for (step count, heart rate and sleep monitoring), it did as well or better. Sleep section of the Apple is rubbish in comparison. Useful to be able to take a phone call on my wrist but absolutely not necessary!! At first, I also liked having What’s App notifications pop up on my wrist but had to turn that off after a while as it was too distracting with various group chats. In turn, when I got the Fitbit a few years ago, that consigned a perfectly good wristwatch (not expensive) to a drawer never to be worn since. Consumerism eh?

Depending on your Fitbit model there has been a recall and full refunds are being issued. 

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Depending on your Fitbit model there has been a recall and full refunds are being issued. 

Interesting, will look into that cheers!

edit: different model!

Edited by chappy

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

This is absolutely true, with maintenance they'll be running for decades. But it's not like for like, is it? Nobody thinks "no need for a fancy new smartphone to tell the time, I have my trustworthy watch". You'll have the phone anyway, no matter what you have on your wrist.

They're pretty jewellery, not a functional item, IMO, and while they don't appeal to me, they make sense through the lens of having money to burn and wanting to treat yourself to a luxurious item that looks nice and will hold its value if looked after. 

Of course they're a functional item, what utter nonsense. Not everybody is glued to their phone 24 hours a day, and there are lots of times when it wouldn't be appropriate/advisable to be looking at your phone to see what the time is. And phones are every bit as much of a fashion statement as a watch, if not more so, otherwise people wouldn't spend hundreds of pounts upgrading them every 18 months when the actual differences between the models is negligible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Risso said:

Of course they're a functional item, what utter nonsense. Not everybody is glued to their phone 24 hours a day, and there are lots of times when it wouldn't be appropriate/advisable to be looking at your phone to see what the time is. And phones are every bit as much of a fashion statement as a watch, if not more so, otherwise people wouldn't spend hundreds of pounts upgrading them every 18 months when the actual differences between the models is negligible.

You want to defend spending loads of cash on a watch because it'll work for longer than a phone, and I'm the one talking utter nonsense. Ok 👍

Luxury Watches explained.

The local Dacia car dealer sells cars.  Their cars are much better than a 1960s Aston Martin DB5.  Dacia cars are faster, more reliable, safer and have a much higher spec.  Why the hell would anyone pay a fortune to own a DB5?  They haven’t even got a digital clock in the dashboard.  

Ownership is also about how something makes you feel.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks
  • Like 3

Luxury watches explained - Part 2.  

The Dacia car will cost me a few thousand quid.  I will use it for 5 years and it’s going to be worth very little.  

The DB5 will cost me a lot more.  But after 5 years of use it will still be worth a significant sum.   It might even be worth more than I paid for it 5 years ago. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Luxury Watches explained.

The local Dacia car dealer sells cars.  Their cars are much better than a 1960s Austin Martin DB5.  Dacia cars are faster, more reliable, safer and have a much higher spec.  Why the hell would anyone pay a fortune to own a DB5?  They haven’t even got a digital clock in the dashboard.  

Ownership is also about how something makes you feel.  

That's kind of what I was getting at - if you just care about getting from A to B, you buy a cheap round around, or an incredibly basic/cheap watch that'll do the job. A luxury watch can make sense as either an indulgence, because it's something you really enjoy, or you think it might appreciate in value, but of course it doesn't make sense to get one just because you need to be able to tell the time.

I think some people don't "get" luxury watches because they're people who tend to buy something to solve a problem, which is just fundamentally not what a purchase like that is about.

• Like 1

One of my problems with expensive watches is that (in the main) they tend to be big chunky affairs.  I assume to say LOOK AT MY SUPER EXPENSIVE WATCH which is fine.

But I literally hate big watches.  I only really like slim watches. I know they exist but it's not what you generally see people gravitating towards. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That's kind of what I was getting at - if you just care about getting from A to B, you buy a cheap round around, or an incredibly basic/cheap watch that'll do the job. A luxury watch can make sense as either an indulgence, because it's something you really enjoy, or you think it might appreciate in value, but of course it doesn't make sense to get one just because you need to be able to tell the time.

I think some people don't "get" luxury watches because they're people who tend to buy something to solve a problem, which is just fundamentally not what a purchase like that is about.

That pretty well goes for everything you can buy. A £10 jumper from Asda will keep you just as warm as a £90 one from House of Fraser. A glass of water from the tap will satisfy your thirst exactly the same as a £1 bottle of Evian. An iPhone 6 will allow you to make calls and browse the internet just as well as the latest model (subject to planned obsolescence from the manufacturers). Of course watches are jewellery as well, but to say they're not functional is just pure nonsense.

If I'm out and my phone is in my pocket and I want to know the time, I'll look at my watch.

if my phone has died, I'll look at my watch.

If I'm using my phone to talk to somebody, I can look at my watch.

If I'm in a meeting where taking out your phone and studying it would be rude, I can look at my watch.

If I'm swimming, skiing, playing football or any number of other sports, I can look at my watch.

And because I know a lot about watches, my hobby hasn't cost me a penny and in fact has made me a very tidy sum over the years.

• Like 2

Been meaning to post this in here for ages. 

Those massive ankle length puffer jackets. 

Got to be one of the ugliest fashion statements I've seen for a while. 

I think you have to go back to shell suits really and I think in a few years people will look back on them in the same way. 

Orrible things. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

That pretty well goes for everything you can buy. A £10 jumper from Asda will keep you just as warm as a £90 one from House of Fraser. A glass of water from the tap will satisfy your thirst exactly the same as a £1 bottle of Evian. An iPhone 6 will allow you to make calls and browse the internet just as well as the latest model (subject to planned obsolescence from the manufacturers). Of course watches are jewellery as well, but to say they're not functional is just pure nonsense.

If I'm out and my phone is in my pocket and I want to know the time, I'll look at my watch.

if my phone has died, I'll look at my watch.

If I'm using my phone to talk to somebody, I can look at my watch.

If I'm in a meeting where taking out your phone and studying it would be rude, I can look at my watch.

If I'm swimming, skiing, playing football or any number of other sports, I can look at my watch.

And because I know a lot about watches, my hobby hasn't cost me a penny and in fact has made me a very tidy sum over the years.

Maybe it's just me then who never pays that much attention to the time... 

I think the only time I look at a clock is on the work laptop counting down the minutes to home time 

• Like 1

Â