Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why Asda keep putting Vina Sol on special offer then not stocking any.  GRRRRRR 

I suspect that they do, but they get snapped up before you get there. 

Market research suggests that most people buying supermarket wine ONLY buy the ones that are 'on offer', which is why the offers keep rotating. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Market research suggests that most people buying supermarket wine ONLY buy the ones that are 'on offer', which is why the offers keep rotating. 

Surely if people ONLY buy the ones on special offer, they might as well end the charade and just sell them all at the right price in the first place the numpties I would probably buy lot's more wine then and end up sleeping on a park bench shouting at people. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I absolutely believe that. I don't know anything about wine so whenever I buy it I always look for the ones on offer.

"This one is usually £7.99, it must be good."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I absolutely believe that. I don't know anything about wine so whenever I buy it I always look for the ones on offer.

"This one is usually £7.99, it must be good."

The simplest way to tell if a wine is any good is to look at whether you are in a supermarket. If you are, it's probably not.

When the craft beer craze is done, they might go back to buying wine again, but meanwhile they'll just keep selling re-hydrated product pumped with grape juice.

16 minutes ago, limpid said:

The simplest way to tell if a wine is any good is to look at whether you are in a supermarket. If you are, it's probably not.

When the craft beer craze is done, they might go back to buying wine again, but meanwhile they'll just keep selling re-hydrated product pumped with grape juice.

..at which point, it’ll no longer be good enough for you, no doubt?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Surely if people ONLY buy the ones on special offer, they might as well end the charade and just sell them all at the right price in the first place the numpties I would probably buy lot's more wine then and end up sleeping on a park bench shouting at people. 

I could be mistaken, but I think what @mjmooney is saying is that people are more likely to buy something simply because it’s on offer. You can have two bottles of equally decent wine both priced at £7.99 but if one says 50% off, they’ll go for that one. It’s the “offer” that they’re buying, as much as the wine itself.

I’m not into wine particularly, but I wouldn’t mind being a bit more knowledgable on it. @limpid, if supermarkets are no good, where would you consider a good place to buy wine? I’m assuming a local vineyard would be good, or can you get away with a majestic wines?

Edited by Shropshire Lad

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I don't know the women in question but I can surmise:

1) she writes a blog on feminism

2) she did a degree in 'gender studies' or some other such rinky dink qualification

3) she refers to herself an pansexual or some other such ridiculous gender pro-noun

4) she reads Buzzfeed

5) she has cats

You still "would".....;)

• Haha 2

I can confirm that when I briefly worked in an offi, we would clear out poor selling stock by putting a variety of labels on or around it.

My personal best was a single bottle of fizz that was on the shelf for an age at a price, say £20, a lot back in the day.

I put a dayglo star on the bottle and in the star I wrote SALE £20. It sold the same day.

Only the heavy duty alcoholics spotted the big bottles and cans cost more than buying lots of smaller ones.

People are suckers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob182 said:

..at which point, it’ll no longer be good enough for you, no doubt?

At the moment most supermarket wine is rehydrated crap. If they start selling wine that'll be just great with me.

8 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’m not into wine particularly, but I wouldn’t mind being a bit more knowledgable on it. @limpid, if supermarkets are no good, where would you consider a good place to buy wine? I’m assuming a local vineyard would be good, or can you get away with a majestic wines?

I'm a member of Naked Wines. Let me know if you're interested in trying it. IIRC you get an £80 voucher if I introduce you.

• Like 1

Jackets and clothes for Dog's in the Winter,  if  i have to dress the dog as well I will never get out the house.

They don't need them,  if they did they would have learnt how to do zips by now.

My dog went swimming in the North Sea yesterday.  No jacket required.

I've taken advantage of those wine club offers, Naked Wines, Virgin Wines and Laithwates so far. Laithwaites are crap but Virgin Wines and Naked Wines do have good wine, and I hate to say it, but paying the extra quid or two does help in many of these cases :blush:

But there are also plenty of decent wines in supermarkets too ofc.

Edited by Rodders

I used to work in the fine wine trade so my tastes have been somewhat spoilt as a result but I've never understood why someone would buy wine from supermarkets. Most places have independent wine shops (and by this, I don't mean Threshers) these days that sell really good quality wine at decent prices. 

Of course, if it's just alcohol you're after go for a £5 bottle. Taste is a subjective thing and I'm certainly not one to judge other people on what they drink but the graphic below does outline how much wine you've actually paid for at the different price points:

5c9y1Tx.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

For me, by the second glass even the worst wine tastes nice.  The only thing I hate about cheap wine is the worse headache the day after.

Au contraire, au contraire. I spent a year in France many moons ago as a student, and trying to be tighter than a ducks arse, I "invested" in 50cent red wine. 

I got through th first glass out of desperation as it was too late to find a shop for a replacement,  but the 2nd was only partially finished before being repurposed as a toilet cleaner.

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Au contraire, au contraire. I spent a year in France many moons ago as a student, and trying to be tighter than a ducks arse, I "invested" in 50cent red wine. 

I got through th first glass out of desperation as it was too late to find a shop for a replacement,  but the 2nd was only partially finished before being repurposed as a toilet cleaner.

In my entirely subjective experience, the 50p a litre table wine always tasted better (when in France) than the £5 a bottle French wine (when in England). 

• Like 1

Â