Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

21 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Tin hat time, but I really can't understand the love fest for 'Mrs Brown's Boys'?  People at working quoting lines from it the other day and talking about it as the best comedy ever, and I'm sitting there thinking it's shite.   I love lots of comedy in the vein of Only Fools, Partridge, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Porridge, Steptoe, and underrated stuff like 'Early Doors'.   Someone at work even suggested that 'My Family' was up there with the best!  Each to there own, but dear me.  Perhaps I'm getting very old and showing my age? 

Mrs Browns boys is crap and not even remotely funny

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Milfner said:

People who drive with their windows open on the motorway. Why would you want to listen to air slapping off your car at 70mph? Put the **** air con on. 

Interestingly (or not) the amount of drag caused by driving at speed with your windows open uses more fuel than having the windows up and using the AC.

More fun facts tomorrow, kids!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Tin hat time, but I really can't understand the love fest for 'Mrs Brown's Boys'?  People at working quoting lines from it the other day and talking about it as the best comedy ever, and I'm sitting there thinking it's shite.   I love lots of comedy in the vein of Only Fools, Partridge, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Porridge, Steptoe, and underrated stuff like 'Early Doors'.   Someone at work even suggested that 'My Family' was up there with the best!  Each to there own, but dear me.  Perhaps I'm getting very old and showing my age? 

Not sure why you'd need a tin hat for that, Mrs Brown's Boys thing is the worst thing on TV ever.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I have to admit that I have laughed during Mrs Brown's Boys before, so for that reason it can't be the worst sitcom I've ever seen.

I've laughed more when being kicked in the knackers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Interestingly (or not) the amount of drag caused by driving at speed with your windows open uses more fuel than having the windows up and using the AC.

More fun facts tomorrow, kids!

Not according to this test, and Mythbusters

In 2004, General Motors and SAE, which creates standards for various engineering industries, set out to find a definitive answer. The result is the report, "Affect [sic] of Windows Down on Vehicle Fuel Economy as compared to AC load."

The researchers used a wind tunnel and laps on a track to test a sedan and an SUV at speeds of 31 mph, 50 mph, and 68 mph, in 86 degree F weather.

As the two charts below show, running the A/C (the blue line) requires more gallons of gas per mile than driving with the windows open (green line). And if you really want to save money at the pump, roll the windows up, turn off the A/C, and sweat it out (red line).

Here's how the numbers work out in the sedan, which a 4.6-liter V8 engine.

image.png.72ffcda0cb7163517e62202842bb3f17.png

Edited by Tegis

8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

The SUV in that test had an 8.1 litre engine?!  I wonder if the results would be echoed with a proper car?

We just need a wind-tunnel :D

• Haha 1

On 22/02/2018 at 19:30, ferguson1 said:

take the hat off its shit. Put it back on you put Partridge in amongst the greats, 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Skiing holidays.

Spend a week in one place then just go up and down a hill.

Only been skiing once, but I loved;

The scenery (never saw anything like it)

Nice people milling round, not sun burnt brits with england flag tattoo's and pissed

It was relaxing, finish skiing, go to the pool, grab a shower, go down for dinner, drink with friends afterwards

skiing was super fun, and way better than sitting on a beach towel

skiing to the different bars in the mountains for drinks

I like doing things and seeing things, and I loved skiing.  I probably wouldn't want to go every year, but every few years, it would be great! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Skiing holidays.

I sort of get that it's probably fun if you have the skills, the spare time and the money to be able to get good at it. But for me it was never worth the investment of time and money required. 

12 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Only been skiing once, but I loved;

The scenery (never saw anything like it)

Nice people milling round, not sun burnt brits with england flag tattoo's and pissed

It was relaxing, finish skiing, go to the pool, grab a shower, go down for dinner, drink with friends afterwards

skiing was super fun, and way better than sitting on a beach towel

skiing to the different bars in the mountains for drinks

I like doing things and seeing things, and I loved skiing.  I probably wouldn't want to go every year, but every few years, it would be great! 

Okay I'm sold.

I'd probably die though.

29 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Skiing holidays.

My OH's sister went skiing in Austria last week.

She fell and shattered her arm. So bad they told her they might have to amputate.

It's put me off skiing a bit (more) :D 

Â