Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m the other way around when it comes to Sci-fi at least .

Mrs H got me The Asmivov federation books once and I just couldn’t get into them ... it’s rare I don’t finish something I start reading but I just gave up on it

i suspect a film version i’d  happily watch  

One of my favourite books as a teenager (not sure it would hold up now, but I am considering re-reading it). I'm slightly surprised it's never been filmed - although also glad, as Hollywood would probably **** it up. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I greatly prefer my science fiction  as books (SF), rather than on the screen (sci-fi). 

Actually I think I agree with that, I find it easier to suspend my disbelief when I'm reading a book than watching bad special effects on screen.  

Blokes wearing jeans that are so tight, they look like they've been painted on. Also, wearing them 'short' so they show off the ankle, whilst wearing no socks. 

Now on holiday, I can see how that look 'works', like say a pair of linen trousers, but round Brum in the middle of winter? Mate you look like an absolute bell end. 

The worst is fat lads In their mid 30's and above trying to pull it off. 

Nobody wants to see your ankles, or an outline of your oddly shaped bollocks. My OH would laugh me out the house. 

• Like 2

On 14/08/2017 at 12:28, wazzap24 said:

I need someone to explain to me how the actual **** the wire spool thingies on grass trimmers are supposed to work. 

I've broke my third one in 18 months, this time after smashing it up against the shed wall in anger. 

I've followed instructions, but you switch it on, it cuts about two blades of grass, then the wire dissapears and I have to stop, re-feed it through and repeat. I nearly had a 'falling down-esque' meltdown over it. 

One of life's annoying things I'm afraid. It's not the grass that makes it disappear, it's the stone, fence, or whatever else is hard that it comes into contact with. Just undo the cog, and pull the wire out a bit more, then repeat, and repeat, and repeat until you manage to get the job done. 

13 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

One of life's annoying things I'm afraid. It's not the grass that makes it disappear, it's the stone, fence, or whatever else is hard that it comes into contact with. Just undo the cog, and pull the wire out a bit more, then repeat, and repeat, and repeat until you manage to get the job done. 

I took it over the park and killed it with fire. Only 6 months left on the ASBO. 

18 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Blokes wearing jeans that are so tight, they look like they've been painted on. Also, wearing them 'short' so they show off the ankle, whilst wearing no socks. 

Now on holiday, I can see how that look 'works', like say a pair of linen trousers, but round Brum in the middle of winter? Mate you look like an absolute bell end. 

The worst is fat lads In their mid 30's and above trying to pull it off. 

Nobody wants to see your ankles, or an outline of your oddly shaped bollocks. My OH would laugh me out the house. 

Apart from not being fat (well, not THAT fat) you've just described me :) 

I love a pair of skinny jeans. 'Tech stretch' from H&M to be specific, stretchy jeans like a pair of leggings. They're like a nice, warm cuddle around my bum and bits. Not being crushed, just gently held.

- Paddywhack, early 30s and slightly fat.

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Apart from not being fat (well, not THAT fat) you've just described me :) 

Please tell me you don't combine the tights with one of those deep v neck t-shirts?!

unless your a contenstant on love island or some other dodgy reality show, it's just not on! :P

I like slim, tailored fits, but this new ultra skinny trend looks horrific on most men. it's weird. 

Edited by wazzap24

25 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Please tell me you don't combine the tights with one of those deep v neck t-shirts?!

unless your a contenstant on love island or some other dodgy reality show, it's just not on! :P

I like slim, tailored fits, but this new ultra skinny trend looks horrific on most men. it's weird. 

No I don't wear deep V. V necks sure, but not deep.

I avoided skinny jeans for years, but I've embraced them recently. I have a pair of "extreme spray on skinny" jeans and they are the comfiest jeans I've ever owned.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No I don't wear deep V. V necks sure, but not deep.

I avoided skinny jeans for years, but I've embraced them recently. I have a pair of "extreme spray on skinny" jeans and they are the comfiest jeans I've ever owned.

I'm sure you're a good looking chap who manages to pull it off (the look I mean, I've no comment to make on you pulling anything else off) :thumb:

my 20 year old went up town in a pair Friday night. Ultra skinny black jeans and a black turtle neck top.

He looked like the milk tray man, if the milk tray man's mum had washed his jeans on a hot wash by mistake.

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I'm sure you're a good looking chap who manages to pull it off (the look I mean, I've no comment to make on you pulling anything else off) :thumb:

my 20 year old went up town in a pair Friday night. Ultra skinny black jeans and a black turtle neck top.

He looked like the milk tray man, if the milk tray man's mum had washed his jeans on a hot wash by mistake.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the turtleneck myself. And I don't think I'd wear an all black outfit, I'd look like a hitman (well actually I'd probably look like a shit bouncer, but I prefer hitman).

But skinny jeans seem to be in more than ever. I certainly wouldn't be buying any baggy fitting jeans these days (function aside of course)

• Haha 1

I think this is the final nail in my 'trendy' coffin, I'm obviously getting too old!

Tell you what though, ladies in those ultra skinny black jeans with rips in the thighs - now that's a trend I can get behind! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

But skinny jeans seem to be in more than ever. I certainly wouldn't be buying any baggy fitting jeans these days (function aside of course)

Not if you are short and fat. 

I have some skinny jeans, and consensus among family and friends is that they suit my fairly thin build. But, frankly, I'm amazed that anybody finds them comfortable. I actually hate the feeling of them so tight to my legs. So, when I bought some new jeans a couple of weeks ago, I went for slim, and they feel much better. The wife doesn't like them, but I don't care. I'm an old bloke, and I wear what feels comfortable, end of. 

• Like 1

Â