Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I will say I watched that episode of “Inside No.9” recently she was in and she was very good. So yeah, I’ll revise it and say she’s ok, but I don’t think she’s nation’s acting sweetheart or whatever it is she’s viewed as.

Didn’t see Cilla, couldn’t stand her so not bothered about learning the story behind how she ruined a Bacharach/David song.

You won't find me arguing with you about Priscilla White as her brother John was an old drinking buddy of mine.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

This bit is good.

Now Shooting Stars I **** love, I've been watching loads clips on YouTube recently.  Amazing how even that probably wouldn't be allowed on TV today, stuff like this in today's climate just wouldn't be done

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Now Shooting Stars I **** love, I've been watching loads clips on YouTube recently.  Amazing how even that probably wouldn't be allowed on TV today, stuff like this in today's climate just wouldn't be done

I think a lot of stuff even a few years old couldn't get made today. Little Britain for one - I remember Walliams saying something similar recently. The Thick of It as well. It would just be too 'offensive' for some people nowadays. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Does it show your age when you are shocked to hear people say that Carry on's are shit? 

Dunno. Does it mean that you're young, or that you're old? 

(I'm indisputably old, and I hate them - although many of my contemporaries would disagree). 

Regarding carry on, most of it is terrible and dated, some of it is amusing (in a naff, saucy postcard sort of way).

The one thing that I find endearing about them is that they seemed to be really enjoying themselves, which, whether the end result is good or shit is always nice to see.

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

The one thing that I find endearing about them is that they seemed to be really enjoying themselves, which, whether the end result is good or shit is always nice to see.

They do but what always saddens me is that many of them had very messed up personal lives. 

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Carry On films.  They always seem shit whenever I've watched the odd bit here and there.  Never managed to sit through the whole of one.

They're dreadful. Anti-comedy

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Dunno. Does it mean that you're young, or that you're old? 

(I'm indisputably old, and I hate them - although many of my contemporaries would disagree). 

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They're dreadful. Anti-comedy

Come on guys. Next you'll be telling me you hate Bottom and Mrs Browns Boys. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Come on guys. Next you'll be telling me you hate Bottom and Mrs Browns Boys. 

It's insulting to mention Bottom in the same breath as those other two.

Bottom is great.

• Like 1

I used to love Bottom when I was a kid <Insert Kenneth Williams pic here>, but I think it has aged terribly. Also see The Young Ones. They both have clips and jokes I consider to be classics, but I find it very difficult to watch an entire episode of either.

59 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I used to love Bottom when I was a kid <Insert Kenneth Williams pic here>, but I think it has aged terribly. Also see The Young Ones. They both have clips and jokes I consider to be classics, but I find it very difficult to watch an entire episode of either.

I’d say it’s the Young ones that has aged worse but that’s hardly surprising and it’s still great.

Bottom is so good it’s timeless, that gas episode is amazing.

• Like 1

I liked The Young Ones a lot. But I thought Bottom was crap. 

Of that generation I did like several of the "Comic Strip Presents..." strand. Wouldn't watch them more than once, though. 

• Like 2

Â