Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

I dont find Bottom or The Young Ones funny in the slightest.

That said Chris Stapleton in the genre I listen to this guy is a monster, he is a breath of fresh air from pop country and critics love the guy. I have his albums and have seen him live but I just don't get him. I give each new album a go but nothing, it leaves me cold. Tennessee Whiskey aside as its a pretty good cover.

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I dont find Bottom or The Young Ones funny in the slightest.

That said Chris Stapleton in the genre I listen to this guy is a monster, he is a breath of fresh air from pop country and critics love the guy. I have his albums and have seen him live but I just don't get him. I give each new album a go but nothing, it leaves me cold. Tennessee Whiskey aside as its a pretty good cover.

I have the Chris Stapleton album, and it's OK. Tennessee Whisky is the best track on it. It's definitely a bit overrated. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Young ones was hilarious  ...when I was 13  , not so now  , though it does have some gem lines in it that were probably too subtle when I was 13

Bottom is more slapstick and is kinda timeless  ... ok some of the sketches don't work or they milk it slightly longer than they need to  , but Rik's " I haven't got time to grow a beard " when reading the sex guide , line never gets old  ...

@mjmooney ..think it's Bad news on the road where he talks about "  I could play Stairway To Heaven when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot "  .. I love that line  even 35 years on

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

Tin hat time, but I really can't understand the love fest for 'Mrs Brown's Boys'?  People at working quoting lines from it the other day and talking about it as the best comedy ever, and I'm sitting there thinking it's shite.   I love lots of comedy in the vein of Only Fools, Partridge, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Porridge, Steptoe, and underrated stuff like 'Early Doors'.   Someone at work even suggested that 'My Family' was up there with the best!  Each to there own, but dear me.  Perhaps I'm getting very old and showing my age? 

• Like 2

It's not a great place that's for sure!  I'm on a bank of eight tables of five women and two other lads.  One lad was on leave and other was agreeing with me on most comedy levels.  It was the women bigging up what I would call 'the shite stuff'.  You should have heard the film discussion.  Suffice to say 'Dirty Dancing' was being quoted several times. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

It's not a great place that's for sure!  I'm on a bank of eight tables of five women and two other lads.  One lad was on leave and other was agreeing with me on most comedy levels.  It was the women bigging up what I would call 'the shite stuff'.  You should have heard the film discussion.  Suffice to say 'Dirty Dancing' was being quoted several times. 

Bet they talk about X-Factor as well. 

Luckily I'm on a bank of desks with 7 other blokes (ages 25-39) and the conversations resemble The Inbetweeners sometimes! Id rather have it that way though. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So someone once told me they sing ba ba coloured sheep in schools now. But my kid has learnt baa baa black sheep. 

So which one is it?

Baa baa African-American sheep, of course. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Luckily I'm on a bank of desks with 7 other blokes (ages 25-39) and the conversations resemble The Inbetweeners sometimes! Id rather have it that way though. 

We can listen to earphone while we work thank god. Sometimes you can just have them on your ears but turned off so nobody speaks to you unless it's important. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Mate, I'd much rather have it this way for sure.  Monday's first hour is talk about 'the Voice', but me and the other two lads discuss the weekends games/results.  I even mentioned the Stone Roses the other day when discussing music and one of the women rolled her eyes.  I nearly stabbed her with my Bic pen.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We can listen to earphone while we work thank god. Sometimes you can just have them on your ears but turned off so nobody speaks to you unless it's important. 

No such look for me. I spend hours a day on the phone to my clients. 

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So someone once told me they sing baa baa coloured sheep in schools now. But my kid has learnt baa baa black sheep. 

So which one is it?

baa baa proud mixed heritage quorn

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Mate, I'd much rather have it this way for sure.  Monday's first hour is talk about 'the Voice', but me and the other two lads discuss the weekends games/results.  I even mentioned the Stone Roses the other day when discussing music and one of the women rolled her eyes.  I nearly stabbed her with my Bic pen.  

I try not to discuss football as there are 4 Man Utd fans on the bank of desks! I just keep my own counsel when it comes to football. 

Women just don't appreciate music. All they are interested in is being seen to be into the latest and greatest new thing. Not many women I know will listen to a classic album. 

• Like 1

Â