Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

It's a bit like some of my friends think Milner is a joke based on his City and recent England appearances but you would be hard pressed to find a Villa fan who thinks it. Cleverley would do well here I am certain if he signs.

Thats becuase Milner actually did well before he went to Man City and earned him move there.

Cleverly did ok at Wigan on loan, and rarely played for Man U yet found himself in the england team ahead of much better players who actually play week in week out.

So when Cleverely leaves in a few days, his ex supporters wont have a good word to say about him, but Milners ex supporters (us) still will.

I did threaten to punch the TV once if Cleverley played for England that evening. He and Henderson always looked so anonymous in the middle of the park, but I've changed my mind a bit on Henderson and I can see Cleverley's attributes being more useful to us than he would for a team aiming for the title or an international side. Full of energy and enough quality to contribute in the final third for us. I think he was used more by Fergie to do the donkey work in midfield but given a bit more responsibility I can see him being like a new Milner.

A lot of people thought Milner was shit when we signed him I remember clearly people moaning at the 12 million price tag. I think Cleverely will prove to be a similar smash hit.

Seriously?? I don’t remember that at all. Think he cost £10 million and was our biggest signing in a fe years.

We signed Sidwell the same summer and he in many ways is more comparable to Cleverly.

I don't think anybody thought he was "shit" especially given that he had already enjoyed a successful loan spell here. There was some reservation over the fee however and it probably was a little overpriced at the time. To think that he was actually our second choice behind David Bentley though!

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Cleverley might be a decent player but to think that he will be a "smash hit" for us like Milner is delusional.

Milner (with nearly 50 caps for England now) was younger than Cleverley is now when he left us for City. He will be a decent player and hopefully help us avoid a relegation fight.

A lot of people thought Milner was shit when we signed him I remember clearly people moaning at the 12 million price tag. I think Cleverely will prove to be a similar smash hit.

Seriously?? I don’t remember that at all. Think he cost £10 million and was our biggest signing in a fe years.

We signed Sidwell the same summer and he in many ways is more comparable to Cleverly.

There were definitely Villa fans who were dead against the Milner signing. No idea why, but there you go.

There were also Villa fans (including me) who were pleased when we signed Ireland for "only £8m". Shows what we know.

This is the bit where I encourage everyone to reserve judgement until he's had a run of games for us (or at least signed in the first place) but I might as well just bash the keyboard with my fist instead for all the good that would do, so c ffc gfcfsdxfdssdscgc  cfg cfh cfhc f gcsdxsaaszdszszd.

• Like 3

It's what I remember but not sure if it was on this site. I think a lot of people just had Milner down as a decent hard working wide midfielder. which I suppose he was until O'Neill switched him to Centre Mid, to accommodate Downing, and so thought the price tag at the time was excessive.

I actually think Cleverley can be what we've been missing since Milner left.

I think the young top 4 players walking into the England side after 2 or 3 games is quite annoying.

Agreed. Calum Chambers has started less than 20 club games and he's in the England squad!

He’s obviously gona think he's made it now and might not kick on the way he would if he was still at Southampton trying to establish himself.

Cleverly is a good example of this. At 22 he was playing for Utd and England but is probably only realising now that he hasn’t kicked on the way he should have.

I don't think anybody thought he was "shit" especially given that he had already enjoyed a successful loan spell here. There was some reservation over the fee however and it probably was a little overpriced at the time. To think that he was actually our second choice behind David Bentley though!

Yes shit was the wrong word but I do remember a lot of moaning. I think I used to read The VIlla Blog a lot during that time so might have been on there where I'd read people doubting the signing.

Yes shit was the wrong word but I do remember a lot of moaning. I think I used to read The VIlla Blog a lot during that time so might have been on there where I'd read people doubting the signing.

No you're right useless, Milner got a fair amount of stick on here and elsewhere until he moved into the center.

Strange that people with join dates after he left are disputing this :detect:

• Like 1

Just can't beleive that after the past few years and this summer generally so far that so many people would start moaning about spending money on a player who is better than the ones we have? But Cleverley has had a lot of stick and not of his own making, he didn't pick himself for England so soon after breaking into the Manure team.

For people to say he has been very bad for Manure are idiots to be honest, he broke into the team played well got injured and hasn't picked up the same form again but under a new manager. If Cleverley is very bad then so was Van Persie under Moyes last year?

Cleverley to take the number 8 shirt then with El Ahmadi gone?

Oh dear!

The unashamed double-standards from some on here is embarrassing at times.

Where are the double standards? I've already explained what I meant and that my opinion hasn't changed (these posts seem to have been conveniently ignored).

I saw your explanations, I just think they are flimsy and were already sufficiently debunked by dodgyknees.

I also found it funny that pointing out inconsistancies in your position is deemed as "point-scoring" whereas when you used to bring up Morpheus' infamous posts about Benteke that was perfectly fine. Whenever someone argues on the "point-scoring" angle it is because they have already lost the argument and are trying to divert it.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I have nothing else to say on this issue.

They weren't debunked at all. I already explained what my point was.

There were no "inconsistencies" and if there were I've already cleared them up (in posts you seem to have ignored). It was blatantly point-scoring though as I'd already been through this with dodgyknees in response to his "genuine" question and explained that I didn't think he was good enough for Man United and England but could be good enough for us. Me calling him shit for England doesn't contradict that.

This whole thing is pretty pathetic really as I've not been anywhere near as positive about this deal as some. Even now I don't know how enthusiastic I am about it I just think that it COULD work out.

Edited by Mantis

It's what I remember but not sure if it was on this site. I think a lot of people just had Milner down as a decent hard working wide midfielder. which I suppose he was until O'Neill switched him to Centre Mid, to accommodate Downing, and so thought the price tag at the time was excessive.

I actually think Cleverley can be what we've been missing since Milner left.

You are right.

I has an ST in the Holte when he (Milner) signed. There were plenty of divs getting on his back after a few games.

He was £12m, which at the time did seem too high, especially after we had nearly signed him for about 3.5m after his loan spell.

People only started realising how good he really was when he moved inside.

Downing and Young took some stick as well early on, makes you laugh really when you think about the shit we have been subjected to since they left!

We do love slating a player if they are not amazing from the outset.

Cleverly will be good if he signs IMO, not sure if he can 'replace' Milner - I don't think many people realise just how good he was/is

If there were any possible chance of getting Milner back here I think I'd do a sex wee.

• Like 2

I was definitely one who has slagged off Cleverley to all my Utd supporting mates and have raged about his England caps.

However,

He was highly rated by managers whom I admire (Martinez, SAF) and clearly has a lot of talent. I think his issue is probably confidence and hopefully the step down in pressure/spotlight will help bring out the best in him. I think this could be a good signing.

I remember when Milner signed permanently that his first few games were pretty poor and there were quite a few people questioning the fee. To be honest it wasn't until he was moved into the centre that he really started to justify his fee. As for Cleverley he's not good enough for a team with ambitions of the top 4 but he's good enough for us and I'd be happy enough if we signed him.

Â