Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Deary me, so many of you have been brainwashed by the media and United fans Cleverly bashing.

He has a lot of ability, if he signs I believe it will be a similar level signing (quality wise) as Downing was.

No we really haven't. This thread is full of people labelling other fans who think Cleverly is awful as "jumping on the bandwagon".

Is it really that difficult to comprehend that people have watched Cleverley play and think he is a poor player?

Cleverley gets "bashed" because he has been a complete non entity at premiership level.

I will support him as soon as he puts on the shirt and I hope to God he plays well for us and turns his career around but you can only form an opinion on what he's done before. And what he has done before is perform badly.

If we sign him for 8m and 50k a week that is appalling value for money based on his track record. But unfortunately a sign of the times.

• Like 4

Deary me, so many of you have been brainwashed by the media and United fans Cleverly bashing.

He has a lot of ability, if he signs I believe it will be a similar level signing (quality wise) as Downing was.

No we really haven't. This thread is full of people labelling other fans who think Cleverly is awful as "jumping on the bandwagon".

Is it really that difficult to comprehend that people have watched Cleverley play and think he is a poor player?

Cleverley gets "bashed" because he has been a complete non entity at premiership level.

I will support him as soon as he puts on the shirt and I hope to God he plays well for us and turns his career around but you can only form an opinion on what he's done before. And what he has done before is perform badly.

If we sign him for 8m and 50k a week that is appalling value for money based on his track record. But unfortunately a sign of the times.

Villa fan in thinking players never improve at different clubs shocker.

Oh dear!

The unashamed double-standards from some on here is embarrassing at times.

Where are the double standards? I've already explained what I meant and that my opinion hasn't changed (these posts seem to have been conveniently ignored).

I saw your explanations, I just think they are flimsy and were already sufficiently debunked by dodgyknees.

I also found it funny that pointing out inconsistancies in your position is deemed as "point-scoring" whereas when you used to bring up Morpheus' infamous posts about Benteke that was perfectly fine. Whenever someone argues on the "point-scoring" angle it is because they have already lost the argument and are trying to divert it.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I have nothing else to say on this issue.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the Cleverley bashing originates from the fact he plays for ManUre and without really ever 'proving' himself in the first team, became an England regular. He was part of a batch of players that got into the England squad because he played for a 'Sky Four' team.

I have no doubt he is a talented footballer, there's been plenty of coaches/managers who rate him (and hand on heart, they probably know more about football than I or the everyday football fan)

I think the comparison to Downing is pretty apt - for a long while he too was deemed an England Manager's favourite, always being picked without showing any form or consistancy to warrant a call-up.

Fortunately, we got to see the best of Downing and made a tidy profit off the back of him (and he hasn't done anything since - which is most pleasing!)

IF we land Cleverley, it will be a good move for all concerned - Cleverley will be a bigger fish in a smaller pond and will play more regularly than if he stuck it out at ManUre for the remainder of his contract. Hopefully, he'll see this as a chance to prove his critics wrong, just like Downing did (to a certain degree!)

• Like 1

Such a non-entity, that Ferguson, Moyes, Hodgson and others that watched him in training on a daily basis felt it right to play him regularly for the former champions and (more sparingly) for his country.

His confidence has dipped massively due to the excessive wankfesting 'banter' from retards on social media looking for cheap laughs and attention. The reality is he broke into the United side full of energy and displayed he was a good player, or at least could be.

Taking a step down from the pressure and attention of Old Trafford, which must be utterly horrible for a relatively young player, will do him good in my opinion. Villa could be a perfect place for him to get back up to, or even beyond, the promise he initially showed when he broke in - providing our fans don't just dismiss him. He's not that young but he's not old either and has plenty of potential once he rebuilds his confidence.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 2

What

im sure the Liverpool fans who said Cissokho was shit or Genk fans thinking Benteke couldnt cut it were also right

wouldnt trust opinions of United fans

I would tell a Celtic fan that Tonev is shit.

I would tell Brighton fan that Bennett is shit.

I would tell any fan of any club that bought Nathan Baker that he is shit.

Dya know why? Coz they performed shit when wearing claret and blue.

Cissokho was very bad for Liverpool just as Cleverley has been very bad for UTD. So they are entitled to call them shit as we are for our shit players

• Like 2

What

im sure the Liverpool fans who said Cissokho was shit or Genk fans thinking Benteke couldnt cut it were also right

Cissokho was very bad for Liverpool just as Cleverley has been very bad for UTD. So they are entitled to call them shit as we are for our shit players

yeah of course they are. Doesnt mean you take their words gospel ;)

what about the fans that said Benteke couldnt hack it in England

I love how 2 people now have failed to realise that percentages can crossover. There's not 200% of the villa fanbase there, there's not even 100% of it :P

A winky smiley often means the poster is joking. Wink wink.

What

yeah of course they are. Doesnt mean you take their words gospel ;)

what about the fans that said Benteke couldnt hack it in England

I couldn't care less what a UTD fan thought of Cleverley and I didn't seek out any Genks fans opinion of Benteke.

I am open to the possibility of players performing better at different clubs. To not be open minded would be ridiculous as plenty of players have done it.

My point was simply any statement from a fan about a player is relative to their club. But that doesn't mean it should be dismissed and not trusted.

He is pretty much the same as Downing when we signed him. Many if he best managers rate him very highly yet fans think he's shit.

It's like Gabby here sometimes a move is needed to reignite him.

It is incredible how sentiment change whenever a player suddenly is linked to our club, or any other club for that matter. Not really incredible, just shows how fickle and naive most people are (myself included) when it comes to supporting something.

Imagine if Balotelli had signed for Man Utd instead of Liverpool? Imagine the mood on LFC-forums as opposed to the ridiculous comments that are boasted on RAWK right now. I have seen comments saying Balotelli is a much better player than di Maria, it goes to show how ignorant people are.

Cleverley has been blasted on here for two years, but when we are linked to him he is a very good player and an awesome talent all of a sudden. I have never said he was as bad as the general population thinks he is, but I have my reservations now that he has been down in the mud for so long. The kind of form and pressure he has had the last 24 months can break any player, and I doubt we will ever see the ability he could have flourished in the end.

• Like 1

What

I would tell them they've all got ability and would probably flourish at their level.

• Like 1

Cleverly started well for Utd and England then faded, but poor by Utd's standards is not poor by ours.

Manure fans probably hate and blame their entire team for their current situation, if/when they sell any player i'd expect the same hilarious reaction from their fans. They are a bitter arrogant bunch who have no idea what humility and perspective is, they don't know how to lose whereas for us it's a way of life now..

Cleverly obviously can't be that bad if a number of clubs want to sign him, and as has been said exhaustively the fee being quoted is pure speculation.

I admit that I don't know how good he truly is or will be for us if he signs as there is a sea of misinformation and bitterness washing out and actual facts here.

But to have played the amount of games he has for Utd and in an England shirt he can't be that bad and there must be evidence of talent even if he's not realised the potential expected. Bottom line is if he was anywhere near as good as he was meant to be we would have no chance of signing him. 

It's a bit like some of my friends think Milner is a joke based on his City and recent England appearances but you would be hard pressed to find a Villa fan who thinks it. Cleverley would do well here I am certain if he signs.

Thats becuase Milner actually did well before he went to Man City and earned him move there.

Cleverly did ok at Wigan on loan, and rarely played for Man U yet found himself in the england team ahead of much better players who actually play week in week out.

So when Cleverely leaves in a few days, his ex supporters wont have a good word to say about him, but Milners ex supporters (us) still will.

Â