Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

If we do get Cleverley who does he replace in the team. It seems to me the most obvious candidate is Westwood.

Any signing should be seen as an addition to the squad rather than an addition to starting 11 in my opinion. Ideally we are still in all cup competitions and can rotate accordingly.

Ideally.

Not somebody who will be our record signing under Lambert, that has to be someone who easily walks into the starting eleven.

I think you missed my point but I do agree with you, he needs to be able to walk into our best 11.

In any case, I think he would be a good signing. Significant improvement and a step in the right direction. 

I wondered when the talk of money being the stumbling block would begin, you would have to think either Lambert, Lerner or Keane would have some idea that ManU pay their players high wages before going after one of them, surely????

I know someone from Johnny Evans family and they told me that his 1st contract was 50k per week so I guess Cleverly will be on par at least if not more.

Due to money I have never been confident with this signing happening as we all know Lerner will not/can't pay top wages. Ask yourself if it were you, would you have your wages lowered to sign for a club who's only target seems to be Premier League survival? especially as he only needs to hold on until next summer while earning more money and the go on a Bosman.

It's a similar situation for Vlaar and Delph, neither will have much trouble in finding other clubs willing to throw money at them and Villa's hierarchy will only have themselves to blame when they walk for nothing.

He would improve our midfield considerably but I would rather us go for a more attacking minded player such as Maxime Lestienne. But I would still be happy with this signing as it excites me that we have this money to spend and a Delph, Sanchez, Cleverly midfield sounds very good plus we would now have competition for places which could help players improve considerably.

One thing seems certain, and it's us spending at least £8m on at least one new player before Monday.

Not sure, Lambert doesn't strike me as the type to just spend for the sake of it. If the right player isn't available I think he'll just sit on it and block KEAs transfer.

IMO our need for a game changer is greater than our need for a steady player who gives other players a platform to be game changers.

I thought Sanchez was supposed to be that platform?

Now we need two?

And who are these players that will benefit from cleverly and become game changers?

Gabby? N zogbia? Weimann?

Cleverly is a the footballing equivalent of a crab. We don't need another one we've got plenty.

• Like 4

I really don't understand this massive criticism of Tom Cleverley.

He burst onto the scene after a loan spell at Wigan where Martinez rated him so highly, he has tried to sign him every window since.

SAF wouldn't allow him back out on loan the following season as he saw something in him.

Roy Hodgson had him as a staple of his England side for almost two years.

He's had a bad spell, like most of the rest of the United players, they have turned into a mid-table premier league club overnight. Doesn't make him a bad player IMO and the fact that a manager who has worked with him in Martinez wants him back, for me, speaks volumes.

£8m for an England international, who is 24 years old, is great value in this market, and believe he has alot more to offer.

However, I don't think he will come to us, as, he has better offers on the table.

• Like 1

IMO our need for a game changer is greater than our need for a steady player who gives other players a platform to be game changers.

I thought Sanchez was supposed to be that platform?

Now we need two?

And who are these players that will benefit from cleverly and become game changers?

Gabby? N zogbia? Weimann?

Cleverly is a the footballing equivalent of a crab. We don't need another one we've got plenty.

Sanchez is predominately a ball winner and destroyer, although he can pass he is more about stopping the opposition.

That isn't the same as a player to control the play and retain possession which is what Pretrov was and to a lesser extent is what Westwood is.

Irrespective of the ability or otherwise of the creative players in the side there is still a place for a player of this ilk because quite simply if you can't retain the ball those creative influences in a team are going to find it very hard to have an influence.

Don't mistake this for me saying that I think our creative players are good enough or are particularly creative but I see that as a different issue which I also think needs addressing but there clearly isn't the money to sign that sort of player. Had there been we wouldn't have signed Cole on a free and I don't think £8m would get a particularly good creative player in this market.

As I said previously I'm unsure of Cleverley but I do feel we have a need for this sort of player regardless of other needs.

In terms of the priority order in which to address those needs comes down to budgets and personal opinions I guess.

That article seems to be the sort of column filler you can put out in the vaccum between all the hullabaloo about a fee being agreed and anything concrete coming to fruition. It's been two days so saying "could/maybe" happen gets people talking, even if they know nowt.

Edited by Ads

Â