Tom Fox

Cracker1234

What difference would a face to face make? He had to go. He probably thought deludedly that he was doing a good job. We haven't got time to mess around so fair play to Fox. If Faulkner was still here so would Lambert be.

• Like 1

The guy is an absolute G.

He went out there and batted Pat Murphy off like Viv Richards in this pomp in a away that took as much pressure off Lambert as possible (as he convinced everyone his job was not under threat in any way) and then when the trigger had to be pulled he pulled it. Im sure he'd have sacked lambert sooner if it was just up to him which makes his convincing performance in front of Murphy even more commendable. At the same time he is putting a proper structure in place at the club (finally) and generally taking care of business.

I liked your comment but the sentence about him being a "G" nearly made me not. 

• Like 1

I like the fact that he had the nut's to pull the trigger however anyone can find the strength too put someone out of their misery in the right circumstances. Can he get the manager we need though? That's the real test as to his quality as a CEO, and an idea of the direction we are truly going in. Hopefully the owner has decided his investment is too precious to **** up and is now willing to start taking this shit seriously at least until the club is sold.

• Like 1

I'm not saying it's right but ultimately  with the culture of the world nowadays with people all over the place especially in football many dismisalls are conducted without a face-to-face meeting.

Remember the Moyes story breaking on Easter Monday without him not even being told? I think Warnock was also sacked recently by a phone call from the owner.

As for Foxy, well let's see if his managerial call is more inspired than what Faulkner together with Lerner came up with, the bar is set extremely low there.

I wonder if we might look at someone from France or continental europe given he spent a few years at Arsenal who obviously deal a lot with football contacts from abroad.

When I see names like De Boer (even though that was probably fantasy) and Remi Garde being linked with the Newcastle job recently, I despair at our usual list of candidates whenever we part company with a manager. 

The best we could attract when we were finishing regular top 6 was a semi retired Houllier ffs. Spurs go out and poach Pochettino. 

It's a world of difference and hopefully Fox can help change that even if the timing now is difficult. I'd be interested to see the length of contract we give the new boss.

We will see how good he is by who he appoints and how long it takes to make the appointment.

And more importantly how the new manager does!

It's highly likely that the next Villa manager is going to be someone I've considered but at some point not wanted them as manager of Aston Villa, unless it's a major coup or someone very left field that I've not even considered. I won't be judging Fox by who that person is but how he does. Of course if he dithers about it and we're still not winning games or it is just a disaster then fair enough.

While there is an obvious skill to being a good football manager there is a massive amount of luck to being successful. Luck probably isn't the right word but there has to be that click between club and manager. The best managers can go to another job but not be successful or a reversal of that, likewise many of the managers linked have there faults and bad history but it could be Villa that they click with.

• Like 2

Not sure the odds of getting a good fit this time of the season....its more likely who's available and that should not be the main basis for appointment.

I think they require a short termer who can give maximum lift to the club....happy hunting.

a long term strategist is not what we want right now.

Lerner has proven to be an idiot but I don't think Fox is. He may not have been top dog at Arsenal but as COO of one of the most respected clubs in the world and an affiliate of Wenger he is obviously no mug. Very little happens at Arsenal without Wengers say so and it is reasonable to believe that he rated Fox.

I therefore have to believe that Fox getting rid of Lambert with 13 games to go, wasnt a knee jerk reaction and sincerely hope he has a new manager lined up and is simply dotting the i's and crossing the t's with Lerner.

Judging by Lambert's lack of reference to Fox in his earlier statement, it may well be that Fox had warned him sometime ago that his job was on the line. If so, I would hope that Fox has had irons in the fire for some time.

No one on this website knows him, let's face it.

Agreed. And I don't think anyone on this website knows nearly enough about his remit or his performance to pass any sort of judgement as to how well he's doing his job.

In contrast to all that has been said on here the comments attributed to Lambert suggest he knew full well he had lost the plot. Furthermore also recommending to Lerner that he should be sacked...

Whatever the truth is I like the way Fox is going about his business and hope a new managerial acquisition is an exciting one; only problem is, is it all too little too late?

Â