Tom Fox

Cracker1234

I kind of don't want to hope incase my heart gets broken that as a club we maybe finally about to take a step forward without a step back, Fox so far sounds like he's on a different level to Faulkner. Credit will be due to Lerner also for picking him and allowing him to run with it if (fingers crossed) it's not another false dawn.

Edited by Fairy In Boots

As self assured as Fox appears to be, I get the sense that's he's not above asking for advice and help from people who know the game more, whereas Faulkner always struck me as someone who couldn't be bothered, or thought he had it all figured out.

A bit of an exaggeration and a lot of guess work in that post. No one is calling him a guru; no one knows which or who was available (including yourself) and how do you know he didn't want to get rid earlier but perhaps Lerner wasn't convinced? What seems to be the case NOW is that he runs the club and has more power, in my opinion this wasn't the case until after the Lambert sacking.

• Like 2

I don't get the hard on for this guy:-

He waited far to long to sack Lambert

Then chose the most obvious candidate from the then limited choice available.

....and hows hes some sort of guru CEO ?

That's your perception, which having perused many of the topics recently tends to err on the cautious. Which is fair enough, after years of being kicked in the nuts, so to speak, I understand. Not a fan of how you express your opinion though.

Lambert seems to have been very close to Lerner, which perhaps gave him a longer rope in which to hang himself. I'm just speculating, but I think if it were left to Lerner, Lambert would still be in charge. That and the many seemingly other progressive appointments he's made, coupled with a smart public persona, I think it's obvious why people are interested in Fox. For the CEO to speak publicly is a rarity at Villa.

Regarding Sherwood, it really is a curveball. Nobody really knows whether he's got what it takes, that remains to be seen. But again, it seems progressive in so much as it's not a safe pair of hands, ala Pulis who will bore the club to death. It's something different, which in itself is seen as a good thing given the club have been sleepwalking towards an inevitable relegation for years. The hope is that Tom Fox is modernising the club. We can only hope, given the position we're in.

I think you're being obtuse if you say you can't understand why people like him at all, unless of course you lack the understanding to see things from another's point of view. To call it a hard on is disrespectful too, as it comes across as demeaning, which I'm not sure whether you intended.

• Like 4

We've had a couple of heated run ins of late and I will try my best to avoid one here by keeping it short - worry less about the opinions of others and more about expressing yourself. You might find people are more receptive to debating the points you raise then.

Bare in mind he had Lambert thrust upon him with a 4 year contract in toe. I do not believe anyone thinks he is a "guru CEO". If they do then they are entitled to that. I think for the main part people are please he is at least doing something because for too long this club has been rudderless. Since he had been here he has fired Lambert and hired a new manager and given him the backroom team he needs all within the space of a sodding week, hired a CCO, Paddy Riley has returned as a head of recruitment, is actively looking to recruit a DoF. Basically, whether it is reactionary or well planned he is building a structure. He's doing what we asked. I'm not sure what else we are supposed to expect from the CEO but I'm pleased with what I see so far.

He talks a good game.

It might all be bollocks. But until proven otherwise I'm happy to take it at face value. It sounds encouraging.

• Like 1

We've had a couple of heated run ins of late and I will try my best to avoid one here by keeping it short - worry less about the opinions of others and more about expressing yourself. You might find people are more receptive to debating the points you raise then.

Bare in mind he had Lambert thrust upon him with a 4 year contract in toe. I do not believe anyone thinks he is a "guru CEO". If they do then they are entitled to that. I think for the main part people are please he is at least doing something because for too long this club has been rudderless. Since he had been here he has fired Lambert and hired a new manager and given him the backroom team he needs all within the space of a sodding week, hired a CCO, Paddy Riley has returned as a head of recruitment, is actively looking to recruit a DoF. Basically, whether it is reactionary or well planned he is building a structure. He's doing what we asked. I'm not sure what else we are supposed to expect from the CEO but I'm pleased with what I see so far.

No need to apologise...im sure we will both be roaring the boys on @ 3.05 today !

Are you pleased because of who he has recruited.....or the fact he is recruiting at all ?

• Like 1

Fox seems more dynamic than Faulkner and if the previous CEO was here I feel Lambert would still be here. It seemed everyone was too comfortable. The fact Fox has initiated the change and wants us to move forward is encouraging. Was Sherwood the right choice? Who knows, but his attitude is a breath of fresh air to what we have had for the previous 4 years. 

No need to apologise...im sure we will both be roaring the boys on @ 3.05 today !

Are you pleased because of who he has recruited.....or the fact he is recruiting at all ?

I didn't! But yes. I'll be starting at 2.59 ;)

In most cases both with expressed caution, but certainly the latter. It has been a long time coming.

I think Foxy is playing a great game. He was more visable than Faulkner in the last few months but in comparison to now he was shying away, perhaps distancing himself from the negative poor football we were playing.

Hes the one (we assume) who cut Lambert and now with the buzz about Villa he is very visable and vocal, he seems to be leading this train now. Whether all the structuring is coincidence or its all been part of the plan we dont know. I personally think he has been planning this structuring from the moment he got here, Sherwood has been seen around Villa Park and youve got to say we seem more organised and dynamic on the face of it already.

Could all be marketing spin but just look at how Villa are being portrayed in the media now compared to how they have been for the last few years. It has a huge impact on our opinions and feelings through out the week and getting us on side is a good start. Not everyone one is "falling for it" and ultimately results on the pitch will be the only way to judge this football club. 

I for one like to see Villa being proactive and following a plan for once and if your going to blame a CEO for the bad things at a football club you have to give him credit for the good things, even if it is early days.

Edited by Nicho

I kind of don't want to hope incase my heart gets broken that as a club we maybe finally about to take a step forward without a step back, Fox so far sounds like he's on a different level to Faulkner. Credit will be due to Lerner also for picking him and allowing him to run with it if (fingers crossed) it's not another false dawn.

Faulkner had no previous football experience. The way he controlled the club other than the marketing side, seems like he never even watched it. I blame him 100% for the McLeish signing, an  think Lerner only signed it off. Fox has huge experience of football, weather he will please us fans im not sure, but running the club, I believe he is definately the man for the job.

Â