Tom Fox

Cracker1234

He must have an idea who he wants before sacking Paul

Yep

I hope we don't blunder around like previous manager searches.

Reading between the lines - he will want a stylish manager (Hence the Hoddle Link)  - I reckon he leaned on Lambo to change the style.

No Fox love-in just yet, but it is very good that Lerner is letting him get on with running the club, and that he appears to be doing just that, we've sorley needed this kind of figure-head for a while - we've been confused who to shout at in the past, Lerner, Faulkner or Lambert - now we know who's pulling the strings and making the calls.

Hmmm, I'm undecided on Fox the individual at the moment. That's completely separate from the discussion around Lerner implementing a structure at the club. Everything that is happening has to be seen in the context of a club that is for sale i.e. it is all potentially short-term if/when a new owner comes in. Fox has the typical American smiley charm offensive thing down to a tee but we've seen only this week that he can go from complete unwavering support of the manager to firing him that same week - Now while we all mostly agreed with the firing, it does tell us Fox's words, in and of themselves, can amount to little more than idle rhetoric.
  • Like 1

Telegraph Sport understands the 45-year-old was shocked that Fox did not agree to meet face-to-face and his disappointment was reflected in his statement issued by the League Managers Association.

The statement did not mention Fox, who was appointed in August, it is believed Lambert felt he deserved more respect after completing over two years of service.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11408311/Paul-Lambert-put-heart-and-soul-into-Aston-Villa-job-before-Premier-League-strugglers-sacked-him-over-phone.html

Telegraph Sport understands the 45-year-old was shocked that Fox did not agree to meet face-to-face and his disappointment was reflected in his statement issued by the League Managers Association.

The statement did not mention Fox, who was appointed in August, it is believed Lambert felt he deserved more respect after completing over two years of service.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11408311/Paul-Lambert-put-heart-and-soul-into-Aston-Villa-job-before-Premier-League-strugglers-sacked-him-over-phone.html

how do they understand his shock at getting a phone call? I haven't seen anything regarding that anywhere

how do they understand his shock at getting a phone call? I haven't seen anything regarding that anywhere

I can see both sides - Lambert for all his hard work deserved more than a phone call - but if Fox was out of the country - Time being of the essence - a scenario where fox was approaching managers whilst Lambert was still employed would be worse...

Gotta like Tom Fox as it stands - recommended Lambert be sacked, introduced new modern structure, is going to select new manager and Randy seems to have handed everything over to him. Happy with that.

I am a bit wary of Fox - But he wanted to come here, and would seem to be running the club - thats a good thing - Ive criticised him for not making the change in November when Pullis\Moyes were available. With Hindsight could he have made such a big call 3 months in ?

Lets just hope he knows what he's doing....who ever the manager is - how he works with Fox is key - so if its a left field appointment give the guy a chance, Lambert looked a great appointment when it happened - looking at other clubs , many thought that sacking Adkins and bringing in pochentiti would relegate southampton......

I think a day one judgement on the new bloke might not be the best

(that said i will be howling derision if its Graham Souness , with Lee Clark as assistant)

Except what you have done already is judge the bloke as a "typical yank".

Very interesting that Lambert didn't mention Fox, would absolutely be intentional IMO. Glad he has power and isn't afraid to wield it. It can't have been easy persuading Randy to part with £2m after all and would have been even more difficult pre Hull. I hope he has timed it *just* right.

I certainly rate him so far. It's a job to him at the end of the day, his big chance to step up. At least we are seeing/will see effort from the guy.

• Like 1

DDID you've used double quotes to imply "typical yank" is a direct quote of smetrov which I can't see. Not only that but also see no reference to nationality in his post either. Or are you referring to a previous post? Or reading something that isn't there?

DDID you've used double quotes to imply "typical yank" is a direct quote of smetrov which I can't see. Not only that but also see no reference to nationality in his post either. Or are you referring to a previous post? Or reading something that isn't there?

Previous post.

I believe the exact quote was "clueless yank"

Â