Tom Fox

Cracker1234

Telegraph Sport understands the 45-year-old was shocked that Fox did not agree to meet face-to-face and his disappointment was reflected in his statement issued by the League Managers Association.

The statement did not mention Fox, who was appointed in August, it is believed Lambert felt he deserved more respect after completing over two years of service.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11408311/Paul-Lambert-put-heart-and-soul-into-Aston-Villa-job-before-Premier-League-strugglers-sacked-him-over-phone.html

Poor show if true, although if he's in the US I suppose it's in some way understandable. 

Going from unwavering support to firing someone isn't an issue. There are fans who staunchly backed the manager and then changed their mind after the Hull game. That's fine. There has to be a tipping point.

Having the balls to change your mind and then to act on it isn't something that should draw much criticism. I'd be more worried if Fox had backed Lambert all the way out of blind support and stubbornness to admit he was wrong.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

I agree with you MCTW but it does mean anything he says should probably be taken with a pinch of salt. He says himself that 'actions speak louder than words'. Which basically gives us permission to dismiss what he says as being largely rhetorical hot air :)

• Like 2

On the face of it, a phone call firing is pretty tacky, but the impression ive had for a while now is that Lambert was used to talking shop over the telephone. You do get the feeling that Fox and Lambert didnt quite get on that well.

Lambert is right here I think, he's taken on a job that the owner said would be very tough. He's knuckled down and got on with it and done the job well enough off the field to get a decentish squad together (decent first XI I'd say) whilst slashing wages and having very little spending money. All the time shouldering the responsibility and taking the flak for his players and more importantly Randy Lerner. 

For that, being told face to face would be the minimum he deserves I reckon.

• Like 3

On the face of it, a phone call firing is pretty tacky, but the impression ive had for a while now is that Lambert was used to talking shop over the telephone. You do get the feeling that Fox and Lambert didnt quite get on that well.

The sudden change of style after a couple of low gates - it seems even more feasible now that these were instructions from above Lambert....

Lambert is right here I think, he's taken on a job that the owner said would be very tough. He's knuckled down and got on with it and done the job well enough off the field to get a decentish squad together (decent first XI I'd say) whilst slashing wages and having very little spending money. All the time shouldering the responsibility and taking the flak for his players and more importantly Randy Lerner. 

I havent seen any quote from Lambert to say he was pissed off about it being over the phone and to be honest I dont see how it makes any difference to anything. He was being paid £60k per week to do a job he wasnt very good at and he has been given £3m as a payout for not being very good at this job. All in all I think he has done rather well

• Like 1

I agree with you MCTW but it does mean anything he says should probably be taken with a pinch of salt. He says himself that 'actions speak louder than words'. Which basically gives us permission to dismiss what he says as being largely rhetorical hot air :)

To be fair I think he did show unwavering support.

Lambert's job was clearly to keep the team in the league and Fox and Lerner were extremely loyal as long as he was meeting that criteria. They could quite easily have sacked him at numerous points and everyone would have said fair enough.

They only buckled after it became clear he was no longer meeting that criteria.

I'm not passing that off as a positive. I'd rather they had more ambition than to show loyalty to someone who is only keeping us in the league (even if that is partly their fault)

• Like 1

I havent seen any quote from Lambert to say he was pissed off about it being over the phone and to be honest I dont see how it makes any difference to anything. He was being paid £60k per week to do a job he wasnt very good at and he has been given £3m as a payout for not being very good at this job. All in all I think he has done rather well

yep, i would gladly be fired over the phone with a 2m parting word

Why? To fulfill some kind of quasi macho entitlement to respect? 12 goals in 25 games, he can hardly have been surprised however it came. He has said as much himself. I understand him being pissed off, but he's a big boy, he'll get over it.

No time for sentimentality, they've a football club to save. One Lambert has almost buried after her owner bought her to her knees admittedly.

how do we know it was a phone call? it could have been a video conference. 

Did Lambert want a hug or something to make him feel a bit better

Nobody knows it was a phonecall.

Just journos adding 2 and 2

The sudden change of style after a couple of low gates - it seems even more feasible now that these were instructions from above Lambert....

Yeah. It's true, and the way Lambert has spoken about the change of style as well, it sounds as though it rankles with him that a new American CEO has come in and told him how to do his job. Looked at in that light, it's almost like the Arsenal tactics were trying to prove a point. 

I'm not sure we'd be down where we are if we hadn't changed style. That said, we'd already been on an 8 match winless streak before the Palace game so it's hardly like the old style was working too well either. Leicester at home was the first time we seemed to be trying to keep the ball a bit more. 

Ultimately this season has just been a bit of a mess :( Let's hope for a happy ending. 

Â