Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

This guy is a completely different type of player to Ki. So the journos statement of turning to Sanchez coz we failed to get Ki is a bit lazy. Although maybe it says more about Lambert assessing our midfielder needs and problems.

So I'm hoping if we sign him we don't see our midfield problem as fixed.

Sanchez is a good ball retainer, hard in the tackle and will definitely make our midfield less easy to waltz through.

But on the ball and technically he looks miles away from Ki so I really hope we are still looking for a Ki type.

1 red card and 8 yellows in 24 games last season hints at poor discipline aswell.

But I will be delighted to see a tough guy in our midfield under the stewardship of Roy Keane.

Now on to a Ki type please Lambert.

Agree with all of this. Sanchez isn't perfect - he doesn't seem like a great passer, and he clearly would be suspended a lot of the time, but he's a real solid presence who breaks up play nicely. As I said before, he would give us more tactical options, including a midfield diamond which would be more attacking, and more creative, at home. 

A Ki would still be useful, as sonic_bouma says, because they're different types of players. I can't see that happening, or at least not without some departures in midfield. 

One final note - in that game against Brazil, Colombia went a goal down because Sanchez fell asleep at the back post and stopped marking someone (Thiago Silva?). So there's another area he needs to work on, that sort of thing is soft. But overall, I really like the look of this guy, and want this to happen. 

This guy is a completely different type of player to Ki. So the journos statement of turning to Sanchez coz we failed to get Ki is a bit lazy. Although maybe it says more about Lambert assessing our midfielder needs and problems.

Sanchez is a good ball retainer, hard in the tackle and will definitely make our midfield less easy to waltz through.

But on the ball and technically he looks miles away from Ki so I really hope we are still looking for a Ki type.

1 red card and 8 yellows in 24 games last season hints at poor discipline aswell.

But I will be delighted to see a tough guy in our midfield under the stewardship of Roy Keane.

Agree with all of this. Sanchez isn't perfect - he doesn't seem like a great passer, and he clearly would be suspended a lot of the time, but he's a real solid presence who breaks up play nicely. As I said before, he would give us more tactical options, including a midfield diamond which would be more attacking, and more creative, at home. 

A Ki would still be useful, as sonic_bouma says, because they're different types of players. I can't see that happening, or at least not without some departures in midfield. 

One final note - in that game against Brazil, Colombia went a goal down because Sanchez fell asleep at the back post and stopped marking someone (Thiago Silva?). So there's another area he needs to work on, that sort of thing is soft. But overall, I really like the look of this guy, and want this to happen. 

He would successfully fill a gaping hole in our midfield much more successfully than Ki would IMHO.

He would successfully fill a gaping hole in our midfield much more successfully than Ki would IMHO.

We most definitely need him, he will protect our defence really really well and I'm sure that will be worth a fair few points this season.

But our passing/possession stats aren't gonna improve much with this signing. This is also a desperate problem of ours.

A player like Ki would address this problem. Lets be selfish and solve both!

If we sign Sanchez I would go for a midfield of

------------Sanchez----------Delph-------------

Zogbia----------------Cole------------------Richardson

----------------------Benteke---------------------

Westwood has no place for me if we sign Sanchez. He's lightweight and was awful last year.

If we play a central 3 then Richardson would go on the left of the 3 with Delph and Sanchez for me.

I somehow think the signing of Sanchez would make us in even more need of a signing like Ki. By which I mean Sanchez is so defensive minded that having him in team would negate from our creativity in midfield but someone like Ki would compliment him well.

We most definitely need him, he will protect our defence really really well and I'm sure that will be worth a fair few points this season.

But our passing/possession stats aren't gonna improve much with this signing. This is also a desperate problem of ours.

Westwood has no place for me if we sign Sanchez. He's lightweight and was awful last year.

If we play a central 3 then Richardson would go on the left of the 3 with Delph and Sanchez for me.

I disagree that Westwood was awful last year - or, rather, that he was anymore awful than anyone else.  He's the only player in our midfield capable of keeping possession smartly rather than constantly mispassing (El Ahmadi) or running into blind alleys (Delph).

• Like 2

We need some midfield grit, a player who can sit back, keep the ball and launch a ball out to the wingers. One of the things we've lacked for years is a Gareth Barry-type midfielder. A player who is able to sit deep and pick out a pass to get us going on the counter attack. Whilst they are contrasting players, the impact would be similar. Too often last season, we would push forward with great gaps in the middle of the park. It left our defence more exposed. This signing makes perfect sense. I hope we pull it off.

I disagree that Westwood was awful last year - or, rather, that he was anymore awful than anyone else.  He's the only player in our midfield capable of keeping possession smartly rather than constantly mispassing (El Ahmadi) or running into blind alleys (Delph).

Awful was perhaps a bit strong. I guess it depends what formation Lambert is gonna go for.

If its 2 sitting I think Westwood should sit out.

If its 433 then I wouldn't begrudge a place in the middle for Westwood as Richardson could play in the front 3.

If we sign Sanchez it really does open up more options for us so here's hoping!

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2014/08/11/primera/1407740905_013423.html

The future of Carlos Sanchez moves away from Elche. Diego Merino, Colombian international's agent is in talks with Birmingham Aston Villa on transfer of midfielder, who left in the coffers of the entity ilicitana two million euros of its clause and the agency that represents a capital gain has been agreed with the English side of a parallel according to its federal contract clause. It remains to specify the payment terms of sale.

The team of villains, are known as followers, has not been the only English team has tempted Rock since the end of the World. Everton and Queens Park Rangers knocked on his door to go for his move, although it seems that the Villa will be your final destination. The player will see improved economic conditions and sports expectations. In fact, the Aston Villa is one of the oldest and most successful clubs in English football, with seven league titles and one European Cup in their windows.

Carlos Sanchez wants to seize the moment. At 28, going through the best phase of his career after completing a great season in the First Division with Elche and especially after being a permanent fixture with Colombia in the World Cup in Brazil, where his team failed to qualify for the quarter-finals for the first time in its history. The Elche train this afternoon, from 19:00 pm in the Martinez Valero. The player is still ilicitanas lands and, in principle, plans to attend the stadium. It could be one of the last days as the home side stepped.

I don't really care if we sign him or not. 

It was just such a joy to read that "translation" that I can now face the season whatever it brings.

Particularly liked "The team of villains, are known as followers".  ???

Also enjoyed "In fact, the Aston Villa is one of the oldest and most successful clubs in English football, with seven league titles and one European Cup in their windows." If his agent swallows that, we're home & dry with this transfer.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

Â